Writing Gig for Blog

M

Mamaof5

They asked for a witty, humorous professional for their network of blogs and content writing. I sent them this email:

Good Saturday Morning! (Is it Saturday for you where you are right?)

I'm emailing you this morning for the opportunity to write for your company. With my copy editing skills, wacky humor and ability to meet deadlines with the speed of a keyboard I can provide you with well researched content articles for both print and web use. I even have a generous helping of graphics designing skills (Photoshop anyone?). Why would you want to pick me? I'm a business owner myself, a mom of a rather large brood of chunky monkeys (no I don't run a spider monkey farm but I have kids - does that count?). I'm a published short story writer with several of my own blogs. One in particular that has been mentioned by a BlogHer writer and has won an award or two. It has been a steady blog with 100K unique hits. I've been ranted about, talked about and praised by people like DarkFoxMedia and Insight Solutions. Even the local no kill shelter raves about me from time to time (sometimes I wonder about those furry little critters that go by the label cats and dogs, boy can they rave!).

I was published for my short stories in 2008 and have had my graphics designing skills featured in Today's Parent (gotta love advert jobs for small work at home mom businesses, support those mommies WOO!). I've written them, I've read them and I've loved them - wonderful, joy bringing blogs. I would love the opportunity to write professionally for yours and your company.

I've included my resume and 3 pieces of work. Below is the link to that nutty blog I was telling you about above (you might want to pull up a comfy chair and grab a cup of joe. It's a rather long read). I also, for good measure, provided you with my author blog.

2 links

Thank you and hope your weekend is awesome,

Mamaof5
Virtual Assitant, Graphics Designer and frazzled wacky mom of 5.

I took a ...err calculated risk. I'm hoping because of their specific use of the words witty and humorous being a priority and high need in their ad that they take this and run with it. If not, well I tried. Would you hire someone with an email like that? Keep in mind they asked for this type of humor. *lol* It was awesome and fun to write too!

DDD

Best of luck! I've always envied people who can write in a humorous way. My personality has always included well received humor and my writing was a bit above average. Yet, every single time I tried to combine the two it was a dismal failure. Keep us up to date on your effort. I hope it goes well. DDD

Steely

Absolutely - employers are looking for cover letters that stand out, and are different. Your is clever and funny which matched the tone of their ad....I wish you the best of luck!!!

trinityroyal

Best of luck MamaOf5. That was a great cover letter. If I were hiring for that type of position, that cover letter would certainly get you into the interview pile.
Fingers crossed that it goes well for you.

Trinity

InsaneCdn

The chemistry either works or it doesn't. Especially with humor.
You went with your gut feel based on how they presented themselves.

If its a hit, you'll be a fit, and they will soon let you know.

Otherwise... it wouldn't be a fit anyway.

SO... good way to handle it. Good luck!