Yankee or Dixie?

happymomof2

I am 75% Dixie and well I should be. I was born in N.C. but that was still south of the mason dixon line. Moved to Florida when I was 3. My dad was from Maine and my Husband is from Ohio so yes, I know how they do it up north!! :rofl:

Kathy813

Staff member
The soda question was the one that revealed my Yankee upbringing. It's been interesting to see what people in different parts of the country call them.

When I went to college in the midwest, My Iowa roommate asked me if I wanted to go get a soda. Thinking that a coke sounded like a good idea, I said yes and off we went. She took me to an ice cream shoppe and was suprised when I just asked for a coke. She said, "I thought you wanted a soda (as in ice cream soda)." I replied, "I am having a soda (as in coke)." “Oh,” she said, “you wanted a pop.” We had to work through the regional misunderstanding.

Then I moved to the south and found that everyone here calls them coke or "cocola" (as in coca-cola) to be exact.

:rofl:

No self-respecting Atlantan would even think of having a Pepsi. After all, Atlanta is the home of Coca-Cola. We even have a Coke museum.

I think the regional differences are fun to learn about.

~Kathy

Star*

call 911........call 911
hmmmm Me thinks this survey could 'perhaps' be geared towards the South rising again? An impartial survey? If you check most of the answers - they all say Dixie or Texas

F

flutterbee

Loth, hmmmmmm, what was your first clue? :rofl:

In Ohio, soft drinks are called pop. In New York, it's soda. And in Georgia, it's Coke. I only lived in NY for about 3 years, compared to 6 in Georgia and the rest in Ohio. I still say soda.

In Ohio, we wear tennis shoes. In New York, they're sneakers. I still say sneakers. (I guess we know where my heart lies. :wink: )

I say 'you guys', although when I lived in Georgia I said, 'y'all'. I drink from either a drinking fountain or water fountain - whichever comes out.

I've always said either 'roly poly' (which was classed as southern) or 'potato bug'. The only place I've heard 'pill bug' was in the Georgia.

And I love it when nvts uses the word 'wicked'. That's a New York thang.

DDD

Kathy, let's make sure that our Yankee members know that you always offer a Coke...even when it is a Pepsi. Like NOBODY ever
says "want a Pepsi?" It's all Coke with the possible exception
of "want a Nehi?" You don't see those too often nowadays but the
ice filled Coke boxes at the old gas stations almost always had
Nehi Orange and Nehi Grape. When you dropped peanuts into the
bottle of Coke...the fun began! :surprise: DDD

witzend

50% Yankee. I was born & raised in Oregon and both of my parents grew up here. My dad's family is from Wisconsin, and my mom's is from PA.

Kathy813

Staff member
DDD,

I had to ask husband about the peanuts in the coke. He is a born and bred Georgia boy. While he said that he never put peanuts in his coke, he does remember watching people do it.

My question was, "Why?"

:rofl: :rofl:

~Kathy

F

flutterbee

ILMS - I lived in Binghamton.

BBK - We have great rooms, living rooms and family rooms, but no 'fronchrooms'. :rofl:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
BBK

I did growing up. But then, I grew up in Illinios. lol

I haven't noticed it around here though. People say Livingroom or parlor.

And RC!! Hey! I STILL drink RC! And it's cheap now. :rofl:

Now, someone please explain why on earth you'd put peanuts in pop??

F

flutterbee

Ooooooh, Lisa, you have parlors. We're not that fancy here in Delaware, Ohio. :smile:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Heather I think parlor is only used around here because there is an overabundance of old Victorian homes. :rofl:

F

flutterbee

ILMS - I was 11 when I moved to Binghamton and was teased mercilessly for drinking 'pop', wearing 'tennis shoes' if I wasn't going to be playing tennis and for using 'kleenex' as opposed to tissue.

F

flutterbee

It's hard to break, isn't it? I only lived in Georgia for 6 years, am originally from Ohio and have been back for 13 years, but when I get angry or a little tipsy that southern twang comes back. :rofl: