Yay! difficult child will probable be held in juvie 2 weeks!

Juvie called re: difficult child's hearing Wed. She said they would likely ask the judge to retain him in custody for 2 weeks to do psychiatric evaluation. This is good news; he has refused all help I've tried to get him and I am not ready to have him back yet with how defiant he still was on Sunday when I visited him. I explained this on the phone and he was NOT happy! But I explained to him that this is good, they are doing this to help him. He said tell them to let me out and I'll do it at the private hospital but I reminded him I tried to do that for him and he wouldn't participate so now he gets to do it there AND furthermore, until he gets over this defiant attitude and this delusion that it's ok to smoke pot then he will be in some type of a controlled environment anyway for his own safety. He is not happy but he might finally be getting it! (I HOPE)

pasajes4

It was the best thing that could have happened for my son. He is now on probation and is towing the line. I don't know if he will continue to do well when probation ends, but I do know he does not want to be locked up again.

Nancy

I'm impressed. Our juvie is just a warehouse, they don't offer any services until it's too late. This could be what turns him around.

Nancy

S

Signorina

I am glad for you and your son. 2 weeks is a good amount of time for the chemicals (pot or whatever) to work their way out of his system and give him some benefit of sober thinking. I swear the defiance you are seeing (and we all have seen) is some sort of withdrawal - even if it is "only" from marijuana. Crossing my fingers for you!

Hearing that theory attributing the defiance to withdrawal really gives me a lot of hope. It has been SO baffling and frustrating to try to communicate with him. Today was rough; I've been sick and shaky with worry all day, fortunately my job can be done by a zombie. This afternoon I nearly picked up the phone out of habit to call him to check on him :( Tomorrow is the hearing, I'll be glad when it's over.

S

Signorina

92 - I don't "know" that defiance is actually withdrawal. In fact, I know there are studies out there that state there is no such thing with marijuana - because it's a psychological high and not a physical one.

That said, my son's mood would go from pleasant and agreeable to over-the-top defiant in about 6-10 hours. I have seen many posts here by other people with similar (anecdotal) stories. Pleasant, happy, open to suggestions son at Noon, was replaced by angry, pacing, defiant, volatile son in the evening. Since he was home all day a few times that it happened - I have to assume it was coming down. (withdrawal) But I can't say anything for sure.

Just my own observations.