Yikes! Katrina FEMA trailers had formaldehyde

meowbunny

The feds made a decision -- better that people live in trailers with excessive formaldehyde than have nothing. They're beginning to regret that decision. This has been an issue for well over a year now.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Just like radon in older housing stocks in certain parts of the country; formaldyhyde in travel trailers and mobile homes has been a known issue for decades.

In fact, I live in an '87 mobile home and still have to keep a window open in winter because it "gasses off" when sealed up.

I think you have to look at whether the trailers were a better alternative than the tents used for similar housing in much of the rest of the world.

FEMA was ill prepared for any national disaster, let alone ones on the scale of hurricanes Rita and Katrina.

The problem with the Katrina refugees boils down to FEMA and the Army Corps of Engineers (and our president) not funding the repair of the Lake Ponchartrain levees--that and the destruction of the barrier islands that once protected the Mississippee (sp?) coasts from hurricanes and tropical storms.

Lothlorien

My brother just worked for Habitat for Humanity for a week in April. Those trailers were 100,000 bucks a peice and then they did these temporary huts for 100,000 a piece. For pity's sake, they could have built them all brand new homes for $200,000 a piece and called it a day. All of those trailers have to be destroyed.

DammitJanet

What sort of mobile home costs 100,000? I have a 2001 doublewide that is huge...28 x 76, 4 bedroom, 2 full baths, living room, family room, kitchen, fireplace and an office and it only cost 42,000 in 2001. Now granted Katrina was a few years later but those mobile homes were single wides!