Yippee Skippee! I Get To Meet With The Social Worker Tomorrow

B

Bunny

I sent in the letter to the sd a few weeks ago to have easy child tested for learning disabilities. The school social worker call me this afternoon to make an appointment for her to meet me. Apparently she has to interview me prior to testing.

I DO NOT like this woman!! This is the same woman who, when I went to the school begging for help with difficult child, told me that it was all my fault. He behaves in school so the problem must be with the parenting that he is receiving and that I needed to discipline him better.

I have to paste a smile on my face and meet with her at 9:30 tomorrow morning. Yeah, I'm really looking forward to that.

Last edited:

InsaneCdn

(sorry to any on-board SWs...) Social Worker? UGH! x100000000. Because, you're right, most of them JUST DON'T GET IT. We got the "parent is the problem" reaction from ours, too - she felt we were "too restrictive", that if we just let him do the stuff other boys do (computer games, team sports), there would be no problems. <ya right>

B

Bunny

That's funny, because this one told me that we were not restictive enough with him. We needed to be the parents with the iron fist. Apparently, she really has no clue how to deal with a difficult child because the iron fist approach just does not work with them.

InsaneCdn

More than that... GFGdom isn't about discipline at all. It's about differently-wired kids having to be managed very, very differently. When the "experts" try to get our square-peg kids to fit into standard-round lined-up rows of holes... it doesn't work. Not EVER.

TerryJ2

I just knew this was a sarcastic subject heading ... I do not envy you.
Keep breathing.
I just don't know how anyone can manage not whaling on a soc wkr.

B

Bunny

Terry, you could hear the dripping sarcasm all the way from over there, huh? And I was trying to be discreet!

When I spoke to her on the phone she made it sound more like an "interview". Like she needed to get background information so that when they finally get around to actually doing the testing on easy child they have a complete picture of him.

Think they need to know that his brother has been diagnosed with a mental illness and acts like a bully towards him? Should be an interesting interview.

JJJ

I would do a parent report to hand to her (see the link in my sig). Chances are her "notes" will be very skewed and you are better off having 'proof'. She may change her tune when she sees the list of all of the services and interventions that you have tried (and that have not worked).

buddy

UMMMM A social worker does not have the license to decide if there are challenges in different areas that need to be assessed, so....??? I would be very curious if this is their standard operating procedure for evaluations or if she is assigned to you because there is already a bias that you need her type of help (family system analysis and work....uggggg) This sounds really odd but hopefully she is there just to present pre-assessment paperwork that will be given to the professionals that would be doing the assessments! (oh, come on, a girl can hope.... )

keista

Terry, you could hear the dripping sarcasm all the way from over there, huh? And I was trying to be discreet!

When I spoke to her on the phone she made it sound more like an "interview". Like she needed to get background information so that when they finally get around to actually doing the testing on easy child they have a complete picture of him.

Think they need to know that his brother has been diagnosed with a mental illness and acts like a bully towards him? Should be an interesting interview.

This is a standard part of the IEP evaluation process. It's the "Social History" Hmmmm Now that I think about it, I did NOT do this for DD2 Did it for son when we moved to this SD, did it for DD1 to get her placed in gifted program, but didn't have it for DD2. Maybe because it was the same lady doing it and not much was different?

Anyway. She'll pretty much be trying to get a "brief history" of difficult child from birth to present. She should have preset questions, but you can add anything you want where appropriate. Please remember EVERYTHING you say will go into his school record. Yes this is a confidential document, but....

B

Bunny

Do you think that they need to know about difficult child and how he treats easy child and he can sometimes make home life miserable to easy child? I'm not sure if that would have any bearing on an academic assessment.

B

Bunny

Meeting over! It was pretty basic. She needed what she called a "social history". When and where was he born? Natural or C-section? Any problems at birth? Any developmental delays? I told them that he had speech delays and even though the sd FINALLY gave him speech in kindergarten I still think there are speeck issues regarding articulation. I told them that easy child has an older brother who can be rather difficult and that that might effect his emotionally.

Once the social worker completes her forms they get sent to the office of student services (OSS). They then send me forms giving permission for the sd to do the testing, and then (finally) the testing can begin.