You can only be as happy as your saddest child ...

shellyd67

I heard this statement on Oprah radio while driving the other day.

It really struck a chord.

It is definetly the case with me.

How many of us feel this way ?

InsaneCdn

I think it's a wee bit extreme.

I will agree that my happiness is definitely tempered by wherever my difficult children are at...
But my difficult child goes to extreme lows, and if my happiness depended on difficult child's happiness... we'd both be dead.

Tiredof33

My difficult child is, of course, a Drama King! so I really don't agree with it at all. IC lol I feel the same way.

Californiablonde

difficult child 1 is never happy, I mean never. Food is her only comfort. If I had to base my happiness on difficult child's moods I'd be one big huge depressed downer. Luckily I have learned to shrug off her moods and not let them affect my own. It took awhile to learn but now I'm good with it.

L

Liahona

I used to be like this. Back when difficult child 1 was little and everything was starting. I've had to detach a bit and learn to be happy even when they aren't. I'd be an emotional roller-coaster (even more than I am) if I didn't.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
I understand the sentiment too. Especially when my difficult child was a little girl. However, time has taught me that I just can't go there with her, it turns out to be too much for me and an ordinary experience for her............

Anxworrier

I absolutely get it! While it is not healthy or ideal, it is where I am right now. my difficult child boy is struggling and so am I. All mainly tied to school work stress, my anxiety peaks sun thru thurs and only tonigh and tomorrow will I breathe easier. When either of my kids are down it affects me deeply. I think this is just primarily my personality...very sensitive. Not everyone is as hypersensitive as i am. Thank goodness or the world wouldn't function well! Lol

DammitJanet

This was and still is somewhat true for me. Cory and I are so closely connected that we would almost cycle at the same time and I was definitely enmeshed with him. If things were going well with him, life was good for me. When he is in a bad place, my life takes a nose dive. This is even somewhat true today. I get in huge fights with Tony about defending Cory. Supposedly I can see no wrong with the boy. My theory is that I see myself in him so I can be more empathetic. Tony claims he is perfectly sane so everything wrong has to be my fault. Ha!