You CAN teach an old dog new tricks...kind of

Abbey

Spork Queen
So, it's flipping freezing and snowing here. I have to take the bus, then walk a good ways home from the stop. Well, today I decided to do the 'transfer' thing. The bus driver is a hoot and is always harping on me why I don't do the transfer. Well, the coldness got the best of me and I decided to do it. It literally drops off two houses from the stop.

He high-fives me on taking this journey. He actually calls the transfer bus warning that a nutty person is going to get on. I get on and tell him I'm not familiar with the area but this is where I need to get off. He chuckles. Lightweight. He also informs me that I should be wearing a hat. Ummm...hello? Have you ever heard of hat hair?

He pulls off and says, "This is your stop." Oh. IT'S DARK. I CAN'T SEE WHERE I AM. The kicker is my house is 2 doors down and I got lost finding it. Who ever on earth made streets like this??? They twist and turn...grrr... Also, who made it dark at 5pm? Geez. Throw me a bone here.

Abbey

F

flutterbee

Maybe you can tie a rope from your front door to the bus stop so you can find your way home? :tongue:

susiestar

Roll With It
(((((HUGS)))))

I know how hard it is to get lost often. My mom once got lost in her dad's house. And she hadn't been drinking. We were visiting, it was a 2bdrm ranch style house, not very large at all. She got up in the night to use the restroom and couldn't find her way back to the bedroom!!! (I come from "lost" genes - I am almost as bad!)

Sending hugs to help keep you warm. At least get some earmuffs or a scarf to wrap around your ears and head!

Susie

Abbey

Spork Queen
I get lost in this house all the time. Who ever built this thing with no outlets? Two staircases with no light or outlet for a light...Am I in the bird's room, maybe the laundy...maybe my office. I don't know. I just wander around tamping on walls.

Abbey

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Abbey I'm guessing you're in an older house? Say early 20th century? If you are, you have to remember that electric didn't come til long after the house was built and it wasn't cheap to put in. So people placed sockets sparingly. Usually it was one in a room.

I got lucky. This old victorian was completely redone on the inside and outside and just completed when I bought it. The owners wife had told him while he was working if he ever wanted to sell it to put in plenty of sockets. lol So I have them in just about every wall.

Getting off the bus at a new stop in the dark just threw you off. I've had it happen. And I never get lost. (unless I'm with husband but that doesn't count. lol)

trinityroyal

Well, no...but I do recommend something with ear flaps. Keeps the frostbite away.

When I was a little girl, my brother spent the whole day at an outdoor hockey rink without his toque on. Came home with one of his ears sort of hanging off his head and shrivelled. Yup...he froze his ear off. Time and a little reconstructive surgery made it hard to tell, but...YUCK!

KTMom91

Ladies, all this snow talk is convincing me to stay right here, in sort of sunny California. I don't want hat hair, I don't want to freeze an ear (or any other body part), I don't want to wear boots or scarves or mittens except as fashion accessories...

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
I'm thinking with a giant spork in your front yard, you might be able to make out the outline in the dark......... So proud you managed the transfer...... when your ears get cold enough you will find a hat, band or something to keep yourself warm...... you know new tricks.......

Abbey

Spork Queen
You guys are killing me. NO. No fur. I have some sense of dignity left, albiet small. I woke up this morning to a snow covered ground. Great. I love it when I make great decisions.

Abbey

Abbey

Spork Queen
It is an older house. Lots of tiny rooms and lots of stairs to get to any of them. There is like ONE outlet in each room. It drives me nuts. And the former owners 'upgraded' to where the outlet is triggered by a switch. So now I have to make sure the switch is in the right place in order for it to work.

I just want on/off. Simple? I've got nightlights everywhere but the darn switch is always in the wrong place for them to work.

Abbey

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Don't they make ear muffs anymore??

SO put in a suggestion of where we should move to since he heard that there is very little recession there - North Dakota..They had some news on it yesterday and you could hardly see the homes for the snow. Told him absolutely not - pick a place with no snow.. Being raised in PA and having to deal with snow there, I don't know HOW you can stand it Abbey - you are a better woman than I

Marcie

susiestar

Roll With It
I have a very hair-friendly hat/scarf combo thingy that I have had to fight BOTH kids for recently. It looks like 2 long pieces of polarfleece that are about 12 inches wide. They are sewn together at one short end and down the long end about 10-12 inches. It stays on your head like a hat, but isn't tight unless you pull it htat way. The long ends wrap around you like a scarf. It is very comfortable (most hats, or anything tight on my head trigger migraines) and not tight at all. Keeps the ears warm, I don't lose all the heat out the top of my head, and is a pretty bright blue color too!

Sorry about the outlets and switches. My parents' living room has sockets like that - but has a switch at each end of the room and they BOTH have to be in the right position to have the outlet work! For a while my Dad duct taped them in the on position, LOL!!

Star*

call 911........call 911
Okay I thought Mstang's suggestion of #9 was BIPOLAR hat....kept looking at it and thinking WHAT is so special about that to make it a hat for BiPolar (BP).....then quickly thought "HEY wait a minute - Abs isnt' BiPolar (BP)........BUT if it could help some of our kids, wonder how much they are?" went back to look and see it is merely a POLAR hat - I guess you read BiPolar (BP) here so much my brain saw polar and well......maybe I need a nap. It's 5:00 somewhere.

KUDOS on making the transfer.....GRRRRRRRrr to the buss driver that announces the crazay laday is getting on - I think I'd get on and say "The narcoleptic bus driver is right - I am crazy." and see if he couldn't get you home sooner once the bus cleared out. Dang. Leave mah girlfriend alone you bus driver you.

Hugs
OMG I LOVE THE COON SKIN CAP - Dude has the other one - with RED neon RED flaps or maybe it's orange - I'm colorblind but wouldn't matter if it was pale gray - I nearly spit cheerios out of my nose when I saw him in that and the PARKA - for SC. (Yeah this kid has NO problems that could be considered a challenge)

trinityroyal

And some non-fur options.
To keep your head warm and toasty!

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_listing.jsp?FOLDER<>folder_id=2534374302883733&bmUID=1226165790749

Warm head, warm ears. Very very important. Also...mittens, not gloves. Fingers share heat and it makes them happy!