You know your child needs his stimulant when.....

InsaneCdn

CM, does difficult child throw spaghetti on the ceiling to see if it's done? If it sticks, it's ready. My mother is still upset with me for learning that trick...40 years later.

Ummm....
You're supposed to throw it at the wall, not the ceiling!
<rofl>

It comes from european kitchens with fully tiled, scrubbable walls.
And yes, it works.

But not the ceiling.
So I'm gonna back your Mom and get really mad if anyone in my house dares to try this - on the ceiling.
If they ASK about it (50-50 chance), I'll tell them to use the wall - IF they clean up afterward. (again, 50-50 chance, but worth asking).

(where on earth did THAT ever come from??)

H

HaoZi

I was also taught the wall method by Italian family members. I prefer taste testing though.

keista

I always taste. Wall method works for me even when they are way too undercooked, and I like mine REALLY al dente. Gotta give 'em a taste.

Marguerite

I'm glad you've got the medications resupplied. I think it's worse when they're just off it a couple of days, than when it's been a week or more.

As for all the food references - no, we don't have cheese in a can here. Unless it's a tin of haloumi or feta packed in brine.

Nutella - my kids would eat it with a spoon. Friends' kids used it as a filling for home-made chocolates.

Vegemite - an acquired taste. Very salty, if they made soy sauce solid, this is what it would taste like. English Marmite is different, it has a trace of sugar in it which I find repulsive. It used to be side by side on our shelves when I was a kid, but these days Marmite is almost impossible to find here. Vegemite can be used as a base for a vegetable stock (use it instead of salt, in about the same quantity).

If you are ever offered Vegemite to try, make sure it is spread VERY sparingly, onto buttered bread or buttered plain crackers. It is very good for recuperating invalids because it is loaded with B vitamins and that trace of salt you get (with the sparing amount of Vegemite) seems to be just what you need when you are getting better from a gastric bug.

I have seen people try Vegemite and spread it thick, like jam or peanut butter. Revolting! Anyone who tries that will hate it, and no wonder. Some Aussies do build up their tolerance to eat it thickly; their choice. Frankly, too much is bad for you, it is so salty.

A favourite after-school snack here is celery stalk spread very thinly with Vegemite. To get it right on the celery, you have to spread it with your finger. Nothing else gets it on thinly enough. Spread thinly on celery, the stuff looks reddish-brown. I love it! But the celery has to be really crunchy-fresh and cold from the fridge, especially in summer. I think because we sweat so much in summer, that the salt in the Vegemite replaces what we lose. Maybe that's why we crave it.

Marg