Steely

Good question....He was about your difficult children age, and he was in phosph for about 10 days? And then he was in day hospital after that until he stabilized. I think, however, had he shown aggression in phosph they would have made him stay. He was also on an AP which helped with the violence A LOT until he could get more regulated on the Lithium.

L

Liahona

So what is the criteria for letting him go home? What does his aggression level have to be and for how long? Based on his punching you in the face I'm not sure he is there yet.

buddy

Good question....He was about your difficult children age, and he was in phosph for about 10 days? And then he was in day hospital after that until he stabilized. I think, however, had he shown aggression in phosph they would have made him stay. He was also on an AP which helped with the violence A LOT until he could get more regulated on the Lithium.

well, one idea that has been kicked around is to have him go to out patient while working on the medications. problem is, he can't really join the groups and he keeps getting kicked out because he is so unable to process and express himself appropriately. He just ends up disrupting everything. I am afraid that plan may go by the wayside since that is a big push in teh out patient programs. But since his doctor now OWNS the outpatient program, she may still take him. And the benefit would be that I woudl again have a salary. (the whole one agency/person can be paid to care for the child at a time...I do more work, research, driving now than ever but...what do I know) I am not putting safety or his health under money...that is not it... just that we need to have a home, utilities and food so if he stays in the hospital. I have used up any emergency resources. I would gladly be homeless to get him better but I am not ok with his not having a home.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Buddy what you said made perfect sense and answered my questions, thanks. Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) kids, from my experience, are somewhat different in what works even though they may hold the same dxes as others...their brains due to the injury and where injury occured ect causes the typical medications to not always work as they should.

I'd 2nd that new EEG if you can swing it. Travis' temporal lobe seizures took a dramatic increase around the same age. It's actually what brought me to the board. Along with it, it brought on the new outrageous behaviors that were not present before or since that about 2 yr period of time. Honestly I think puberty was not a good thing in his case hormone wise ect. While he's there.....has he had an MRI recently? Might not be a bad idea to ask and check things out. I'm all for making sure the physcial part is working the way it's expected to (notice how I worded that lol ) when you suddenly see a change in behaviors whatever they may be.

His, like Travis, is a complicated case. You've got so many different things going on all at once for different reasons.......and they do tend to play off each other. When something new or different cropped up with Travis we had to go through a sort of check list to make sure we were (hopefully) finding the right cause and getting the right treatment. With him it was never just behavior....but it was always physical, mental, AND behavior.....and sometimes emotional thrown in just to be sure.

And while it shouldn't be, it can be really tough sometimes to actually get medical professionals to grasp the whole picture instead of the individual parts or behaviors ect. I'd always get so frustrated over that. At one point I nailed down his neuro on why on earth the kid had to have so many dxes when all his issues stemmed from the Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)......and all the dxes seemed to do was confuse people. That neuro was such a patient man. lol He so understood my frustration. But then went on to explain that Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) is too broad a term, the individual dxes pinpoint the areas affected and the help he needs. And then he told me to make sure anyone working with him understood about the Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) ect. (which I'd been doing his whole ife anyway)

However, as a strange twist, I had to actually get the professionals to view his dxes as pieces to a whole puzzle in order to finally get the polycythemia diagnosis which is what caused his stroke at 18.

I will be praying docs can find the right dose (and the right medication if the ones he's on are not going to work even at lower doses) to keep the violence to a minimum if not stop it completely. Travis was rarely violent, and then only when provoked except when reacting to medications, so I didn't have that issue to deal with normally.

Hugs

DammitJanet

Buddy, something is striking me as odd but I am too tired to actually get it out tonight. I will reread this in the morning and figure out what it is.

TerryJ2

Ohhh, that is so sad! I can just see him punching and then climbing onto your lap and crying. Arrrgh!
I hope your face and heart feel better today.
And I hope the medications get straightened out soon.