You'll never guess what happened!!!

DammitJanet

Marg...this easter egg celebration dates back to 1898 I believe and all the Presidents have invited children from around the United States to come roll and hunt easter eggs on the White House lawn over the years. It is quite the honor to get chosen because obviously not all the kids in the country can come. The do what is called a lottery here where you send in a request and they choose just so many names.

I have never been before.

I have been to visit the White House several times over the years and that has always inspired great awe in me because it really is "our" house.

From what I understand, President and Mrs. Obama will be there. I am taking my camera, my son Billy's camera and I am sure Billie will take her camera so we should be able to get a ton of pictures and video. Also both our cell phones shoot video too.

I do have to think about what I am going to wear...lol. I already have Keyana's outfit picked out. I got the perfect dress in my latest Ebay shopping trip. Its a size 4 Gap pink sparkly dress and she will wear a white peter pan shirt under it with white tights and her pink high top tennies. They said to be sure the kids could run and play. I will put her hair in her cute little pig tails with matching pink ribbons.

Marguerite

Janet, that sounds wonderful. I hope you have a great time there. I can't advise you on what to wear, because we don't have anything comparable here. My older three did get to have lunch with the Governor General a few years ago (when is was Sir William Deane - I wanted to go too and meet him, but they couldn't fit me in as well). They went as Young Carers, because of the help they gave me with my disability plus their baby brother. And yes, you can be a difficult child and still a Young Carer.

When the kids went to GG lunch, they wore smart casual clothes. There was a lot of playing around on the lawn. The media were there too - be aware, yours will certainly be a media opportunity. So no rude fingers at your 'favourite' congressman! There are kiddies watching...

Marg

DammitJanet

LOL...I would never make a rude gesture. I have this weird thing that was ingrained into me by my dad. Even if I dislike a politician immensely, I also respect the office and our government completely so I treat them with the respect due the office even if I dont think they deserve it personally.

Marguerite

Our former PM had his portrait painted by our artist neighbour friend. A beautiful portrait. I said it flattered him, but still did not do him justice. (it looked too good).

Marg

klmno

Janet- do I remember correctly that last year, they showed clips on the news of the two Obama girls on the lawn playing with the other kids on Easter? Just think- your girls playing with them and you hob-knobbing with the Obamas! Are you going to be too high society to come back here? (JK) Actually, they seem like pretty down-to-earth people to me, as compared to some other people we've had in Washington.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Excellent news Janet. What a great experience for the girls. I would be thrilled too. I have only seen the tourist view of the white house and would love an opportunity to see other parts. Wouldn't it be lovely if your grandaughters got to play with the President's daughters. Incredibly cool.

smallworld

Janet, how exciting! I entered the lottery, too, and didn't get picked. We did get to attend the Easter Egg Roll many years ago (maybe 11? when M was a baby) during the Clinton years. It was very fun and exciting. I hope you and grands have a blast. If you need anything while you're in the Difficult Child metro area, just give a shout.

DammitJanet

I really am excited. Really!

We told Keyana last night and while I really dont think she understands the significance of it, she went and told her Daddy, I am going to the White House for Easter and see the President!