Your bigggest pet peeves

BusynMember

Thought I'd start another funnish thread for this Wednesday morning (to help bump us along toward the weekend).

Here are a few of mine:

1/People who have 100 coupons while shopping and quibble over every quarter while the line grows behind them

2/People who tailgate on the road (yikes! :()

3/Snapping gum (my daughter does it on purpose to drive me nuts)

4/Skinny people who say "Oh, I'm so fat!"

That's all I can think of right now. It's still early ;)

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'm not sure I've had enough coffee for this, but I'll give it a shot.

1. Bad manners

I'm positively anal about good manners. Thankfully my grown kids are carrying this on with the grandkids. Otherwise I might not be able to be in the same room with them. lol Took us 2 yrs to teach sister in law his manners.......he came to us with nothing......now is doing fine. :)

2. The word fart.

I used to think I was the only one until I met mother in law who nearly had a heartattack when the word was spoken around her. lol She much preferred *dropped a stitch*, and we still use it.......although I'm hearing that awful word fart now more than ever and it makes me cringe every time.

3. The electronic faucets, papertowel dispensers, and toilets in public restrooms.

The water runs just barely long enough to get your hands damp, then you get what amounts to half a papertowel to dry on, after the toilet has sprayed you with water because it mistook you leaning over to wipe as a sign you were finished and flushed prematurely.

My brain has run dry. I probably have more.....but obviously I haven't had enough coffee yet. ;)

susiestar

Roll With It
Great thread idea!

Hearing people chew. Whether it is crunching chips or slurping soup or just chewing in general. makes me vomit, literally! Eating a meal sitting near either my father or brother is torture. I generally can only eat a bite or two. It just grosses me out. husband is only bad if he forgets to eat normal size bites - he has a tendency to bite HUGE amounts. I just gently remind him that "It isn't going to run away." and he realizes what he is doing.

People wearing smelly perfume/deodorant/lotion/whatever. It is a health issue for thank you and I.

Stores/restaurants that spray lots of scent around or have lots of potpourri around. makes me refuse to stay or go back. (of course if it is a scent from the bakery baking bread or cake or something that is a whole different story - can't keep me away then!LOL!)

Clothing for young ladies that exposes them or is tight/see through. It just is not attractive.

The whole attitude that glamourizes pimps and 'hos. It bothers me right down to my soul. I would be mortified and furious if my children ever acted like this was a good thing. Jessie especially shares my horror at this trend.

Shirts for young children that advertise that they are brats or adorable or whatever. Kids do not need shirts telling us they are brats, or cute, or princesses. Their behavior is what should show that.

Bratz dolls. I see NOTHING good coming from making kids think it is a good idea to be a brat. No matter what the content of the tv show or the stories is, the name Bratz is enough to encourage kids to act out.

The attitude that boys need to be tough, not cry, even when they are small children. if I hear another parent chastise a pre -k, kdg, or even 5th grader that they need to "stop crying, be a man, boys don't cry" I will scream. Boys have feelings. Often they are very intense feelings. They should not be belittled for that!

People who push their kids to be in activities every day of the week, esp after a full day of school or even daycare. Lots of the kids here are in so many structured activities they don't know what to do with a free afternoon! No idea how to amuse themselves with-o a structured activity and this is just sad to me. the kids often seem overwhelmed and overtired also. No problem with it for kids who thrive on it. I just see lots of kids overbooked and overtired and acting like it.

People who think I have a drug problem because I am in chronic pain and take medications for it. Especially when they work for a doctor or ARE a doctor. I don't have a drug problem, have even allowed myself to be evaluated for it and NEVER have they found a drug problem! But I can't seem to get proper treatment because the fear of opioid pain medications and the DEA.

I have more peeves, I am sure. But this is enough.

TerryJ2

Wet toilet seats.

Spandex low cut, high waist tank tops on overweight teens.

Ditto, glamorizing pimps and wh*res.

Violent video games.

Tailgaters.

Telemarketers.

Frozen cursors on computers.

Last edited:

Lothlorien

People who drive slow in the left lane (Yeah, I'm from Jersey!)

Men/women who spray so much cologne that you choke standing near them. (one, maybe two sprays is quite enough)

Whistling drives me nuts.

Employees in a store that ignore you while standing there and don't acknowledge you or simply say "I'll be with you in a moment." This one drives me completely bonkers. It's especially bad in the drug store that I go to. The assistants behind the counter never acknowledge you. They never smile and they will ignore you while looking at the computer or just talking to each other. It ticks me off. I'm getting annoyed just thinking about it. There's a drug store opening closer to me and I can't wait to switch pharmacies.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Ohhh I so agree with the people that don't let their kids be kids!!!

People who tell their children lies and/or horrible things about the other parent (usually in divorce situations)

Mispronunciation of the word "nuclear" (and yes, the last 8 years were torture!)

Seeing people text or talk on the phone in a movie theater, while eating out, or while talking to someone. It's one thing to be talking and say, "I forgot about that, let me text your aunt...", do it, and then go back to what you were doing. But when one person interrupts dinner - ! Or they turn their phone to silent in a theater, then call someone and TALK - !!!!!!!

Hearing women complain about men opening doors for them.

Doing something nice for a stranger and being ignored. (I like to open doors for the elderly; I hope someone's doing it for my grandparents. Most of the older people say Thank You. Most of the younger ones don't.)

When I say something to someone (usually a question) and they don't at least acknowledge me. Then I repeat myself and get, "I HEARD YOU!" Well, if you heard me, then...???

Dirty rooms. Messy is OK - so is cluttered - but dirty's disgusting.

muttmeister

Well, I have a lot of little things that irk me but I try not to let them drive me totally crazy. A few that bother me are-
1. People who drive down the road 5 miles under the speed limit: I don't like to speed but I go as fast as possible and they are going too fast to pass easily and too slow for me to accept it.
2. People who pass gas and belch in public. "nuff said!
3. People who use the word "I" when they mean "me." Our President is bad about that.
I agree about the mispronunciation of "nuclear." It is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.
4. Parents who say, "My child would never....." Guess that comes from being a teacher all of those years.
5. People who use the excuse that they are in "love" as an excuse to stay in toxic relationships. I feel sorry for anybody the first time something like that happens. After that, if they go back I figure they get what they deserve.
6. People who can't accept that my dogs are part of my family. Love me; love my dogs.
I'm sure there are more but I guess I have a long enough list that I'd better stop or I'll become known as the board curmudgeon.

trinityroyal

Littering. There's a bus stop right at the edge of my yard. Now that the snow has melted I'm starting to see all of the crud that people have thrown or dropped on the sidewalk or in my yard while they wait for the bus. I was taught that if there's no wastebasket around, you hang onto it until you find one.

Belly touchers. What is WITH those people who think that just because you're pregnant it's okay to feel you up. Honestly! Gives me the creeps even thinking about it. The funniest thing is, my friends know better and don't do this. It's relative strangers who are the worst culprits.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I have no pet peeves - I am one with the universe - I love everyone. I'm appreciative of everyone including their faults because if life is a miracle then we should appreciate the blessing and not complain about anything but relish that which we do have.

pft......my freaking list was too long to post here. I'm borderline Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) with sensory issues and work with 22 men, live with a man and have a male difficult child child. There is just not enough ink -

but I will say when I saw Loth write whistling? I thought YUP - thats in the top 10.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I work with a whistler -

All week long I save documents for shredding - when he comes in and starts his "NO SONG_ NO TUNE WHAT THE H ARE YOU BLOWING SOUND" whistling? I start shredding.

I do it with the guy in the next office who cuts his fingernails 3 times a week. VERY annoying.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
OMG I loath whistlers. Used to be I could at least deal with it. But once we lived in a duplex that was not well soundproofed.....upstairs elderly man was a constant whister and we unfortunately heard every note......no song, no tune, just straight whistle! Since then all I want to do to a whistler is strangle them.

I hate the "My child would never........" thing. So? you're kids aren't human? I never did this with my kids, and I'm sure they turned out better for it.

Ditto the pimp wh*re thing.........makes me sick to my stomach, along with the skimpy clothes for little girls. What are parents thinking??

Kayla requested a Bratz for xmas. Only thing on her list the family refused to give her. Seems we're all in agreement over the issue.

Ditto the hearing women complain because men open doors for them. YOU may not be a priceless personna to be place upon a pedistool and regaurded with respect, but please don't spoil it for the rest of us who are. ;)

DammitJanet

My list contains lots of the same as everyone elses. I used to hate the slow drivers until I became one...lol.

Now Susie...just what is wrong with putting those cute little Princess shirts on toddlers? I must have ten of them for Keyana. She is in love with the Disney Princesses. I do hate Bratz things though...wont buy them.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LOL... I actually wrote to all the local department stores with a complaint about the juniors' section... difficult child 1 was so tall at 10 years she had to wear juniors' stuff... But I did NOT want her looking like a prositot!!! Regardless of how biomom dressed her. I got some nice emails back but they didn't do a thing about it. If the stores refused to sell trashy clothing to children, the styles *would* change. Oh yes they would.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Geez, I wouldn't even know where to begin but I'll give it a college try.

People who talk on their cell phone while driving. I mean think of it - you are driving a 2 ton piece of steel in other's paths. FOCUS.

Men who snore.

Bad gum chewers.

People who speed.

Not having internet connection (taken me a good 30 minutes just to reply to this post).

The 'I don't want to talk right now' thing. Well, sorry bud...but I DO.

Wife beater shirts. I swear I'll hunt you down and give you a good spork if you own one.

Someone drinking the last of my milk. That is TOTALLY crossing the line. You drink the last of my beer (actually I don't drink beer) that's ok. Milk? That's fighting territory.

I never thought about the whistling thing. I guess it doesn't bother me. I always know when one of the roomies is up because he whistles all the time. He's such a happy camper.

Abbey

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
People with an overflowing grocery basket in the 15 items or less line who don't understand the written english words of 15 ITEMS OR LESS - you know they understand, but don't feel they should wait in line like everyone else, followed by men in a grocery line. Why is it they have to wait until everything is rung up before they drag out their checkbook - most women have the check all ready to go cept for the amounts

People talking on their cell phone while the cashier is waiting for them to take money out of their pocket but they are too busy yacking

Call centers in India who solicit stuff. No, no, my name is Fred and I am in Florida - yeah right..I get these calls at work a million times a week. I do NOT want a google listing, I do not want to be in the yellow pages, I don't need you to design me a web site.

People who are members of bulletin boards who log in under another persona just to mess with people and once the carp is stirred up, depart in a huff (again)

People who don't appreciate a sarcastic sense of humor.

Too many others to mention, empty toilet paper rolls, empty containers in the fridge, wrappers on the counter when all you have to do is turn to your immediate left to the trash can, not emptying your pockets when you do laundry, not picking up spent Bounce Dryer sheets that fall out of your laundry when you are taking it to your room.

Marcie

Fran

Former desparate mom
I have a list as long as my arm this week. Some weeks I am "one with the universe" as Star says.
-not completing the cycle of a task. If you empty the trash put in the replacement bag.
-if you use up toilet paper replace the roll
-if you use a glass or can-dispose of it properly
-People who use good and well interchangeably.
-Someone who responds with "huh" instead of excuse me or pardon me.
-unclean teeth
-people who complain about a plan and offer no alternative.
-people whose first reaction to everything is negative.

That's it for today. I share almost all of the above in addition to my particular ones.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Oh my goodness, I am a whistler. I didn't even know it, but while away this week, my friend said, "So, you like to whistle, huh?" I think it bothered her so I was more attuned to it and realized I whistle without even thinking - A LOT. Gotta keep a watch on that apparently. Hahaha.

Things that bug me? Well, pretty much of the same:

Pokey drivers

People who are 'tit-for-tat' with everything. For instance if I buy my friend a coffee...she will insist *possibly* a month later when we meet again that she 'owes' me a coffee...I'm just more of a person who just doesn't keep track of those things.

Peope who do not use their traffic signals at all or not until AFTER they are in the turning lane (ahem, my H).

People who chew their food and gum loudly, slurp their coffee and tea or soda. People who snap their gum with every freakin bite.

People who are mean but pretend they are just being 'honest' or, worse, act surprised that you would think they were just being mean.

People who push their way to the front. Of anything, but mostly, in front of me, lol.

People who eat or talk loudly in theaters.

People who talk on their cell in public, such as grocery/retail stores, movies, everywhere. When you're on your cell, you should find a secluded or quiet spot so you can chat without every one having to listen to every detail of your every moment. Ugh. I have a friend who calls me from the checkout line as she's checking out and talks to me about EVERYTHING - ALL the time. I always tell her we have a bad connection and to call me back when she's outta there. How obnoxious.

People who use the last of the soap and don't put a new bar in there for the next person. Ditto with TP.

An empty toilet paper dispenser in a public stall.

A/C that is just to darned high.

Ginormous gas guzzling cars with one teeny tiny woman driving. What is up with that?

Motorcyclists who weave in and out of traffic, especially on the highway when they ride the break down lane - scary!

Bad breath in close situations...how do you not know you have bad breath?

Bad coffee. Without cream. And without sugar.

Bad wine.

Discovering you have not one scrap of paper product that could be used as a tissue just after you sneeze really hard and need one badly. Or, when you're in a quiet setting, such as church or the library, and your nose just starts running...or you start crying. Ugh..........

The computer freezing up.

Running out of printing paper.

Bad food.

Annual gyno exam and getting a mammogram.

Snobs.

jbrain

Great lists--I agree with lots of them, especially the slurping and smacking food eating sounds and gum chewing--when someone starts snapping it I could probably kill them and I am not a violent person. I just feel murderous when that happens!

Oh well, back to being "nice" now.

Jane

Last edited by a moderator:

DammitJanet

Ok Marcie...you sparked my peeves!

The grocery store: People who cant read the fast lane sign and get up there with a whole basket. Or the people who get up there and want to argue that it said 24 cents on the shelf but it is ringing up 30 cents at the register. And they have 46 bottles of said item. So cashier has to call up a manager to go check out the shelf...we all wait in line...when manager comes back with proof it is 30 cents...the doofus wants to cancel all 46 bottles! Then decides to cancel his entire basket of items and stomps out....ugh.

People who go through the check out and dont have the money to pay for the items. I can understand being a dollar or two short and having to put something back...but you arent 100 dollars short!

People who call my cell phone and want to do telemarketing. No I dont want a vacation in Florida, No I dont want to sign up for your magazines, No I dont want to try to win a package trip to Bermuda. I am disabled, I cant drive there or fly there. I told one poor lady I was bedbound and dying within the year...she asked me what bedbound meant and was I sure I didnt want to go before I died...lol.