Your favorite CALMING phrase :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BusynMember

I could use some soothing affirmations. I have a lot of stress in my life right now, and I can't seem to calm down.

Anything good? :)

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
The first that comes to mind is the serenity prayer:

God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

I am always telling myself "It is what it is" or "Let go, just let go"

I close my eyes and breathe until the moment passes all the while thinking one of these things. Best of luck. And hugs.

S

Signorina

From a meditation from NACR that I read when I feel overwhelmed

"We are anxious because we think we have to take care of everything and everybody. We are anxious because we believe we cannot be happy unless we can control the people we love. We are anxious because life's problems are more than we can handle, but we try to handle them on our own anyway...
...I am anxious...
And I feel guilty about feeling anxious.
And I feel anxious about feeling guilty.
And I feel anxious about feeling guilty about feeling anxious.
Help!
I am overwhelmed by all I am trying to do.
I need (an) invitation to serenity."

N

Nomad

I think this is a wonderful question...a wonderful post!

Personally, have a few that are sort of religious in orientation...so not really appropriate to post here.

However, I have one that I got from a Louise Hay book or tape. And it is simply "All is well."

in my humble opinion, it is very HELPFUL, strengthening/empowering to have a "mantra," bible quote, expression, saying, etc. to say during stressful/difficult times.
It's been very helpful to me and many others I know.

May you find something that works perfectly for your needs.

keista

I recite the Serenity prayer as well.

Unfortunately when I'm stressed, it usually involves a lot of anger and the only way I find to diffuse that is laughter. To get there I shout SERENITY NOW! Like George's father on Seinfeld. Always makes me laugh and start calming.

S

Signorina

Omg Keista-I love it! "Serenity NOW" is right up my alley! Thx!!

InsaneCdn

Mine is non-verbal - I go attack a piano (I play, but "attack" is the best word when I'm stressed out... anybody who knows me can tell when it's safe to approach...)

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
"This too shall pass"

There have been times so bad that I've chanted it to myself all day long. It reminds me that there is always a light at the end of every tunnel, even if we can't see it yet. When I was younger, much younger, I used to think people just said it when they had no clue what else to say. Life taught me that it's a simple basic truth. And there are times I use it to remind myself of that.

Now I know you didn't ask but my favorite calming activity when super stressed.........a video game that lets me kill things. It can be an innocent children's game.........Disney's Lion King was one for quite a while when I had a manager who had the intelligence of a pea and drove me insane everyday.......I dubbed characters in the game "Ernies" and took great delight in eliminating them. LOL Or an adult shoot em up game.........age of empires is my fav there. Bubbles and hot water or whatever usually isn't enough, I need to work it out......and this does the trick. LOL

((hugs)) I hope things ease up soon for you

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I forgot the one that always settles my heart: Everything will work out the way it's supposed to, it always does. And believe it!

Can't believe I forgot that one, I ALWAYS am telling someone who is worried to believe it will work out okay, it always does.

Mom2oddson

Marine shout "I love children, yes I do! Baked, boiled or in a stew!" .....sorry, that's not very calming. But it is what is running through my head right now. But, then, I'm anything but calm right now.

But this is a good time to ask this post because I just dug out my calming stuff....

Loving Kindness Meditation (repeat to yourself)
May I be safe
May I be Happy
May I be healthy
May I be peaceful

Then there is the relaxation breathing exercise.
Sit comfortably, placing your tongue in the "yogic position" touch the tip of your tongue to the back of your upper front teeth and slide it up until it rests on the ridge of tissue between your teeth and palate. Exhale completely through your mouth, making an audible whoosh sound. Inhale through your nose quietly to a count of four. Hold your breath for a count of seven. Exhale audibly through your mouth for a count of eight. repeat three more times.

Good luck!

L

Liahona

Buster's smile

These words to the tune of 'where has my little dog gone'
Where oh where where are the boundaries?
Where oh where are the boundaries?
I'm only (12, 7, 6, 4, 3, or 1 depending on the age of the child) and I need to know.
Where oh where are the boundaries?
(The kids hate that song.)

Only 3 hours until bed time.

DammitJanet

I love the Marine one because I can change it to I love People...lmao. Basically when I want to calm down I either eat, sleep or shop.

flutterby

Fly away!
When I'm really stressed or angry, I can't get through a lot of words and find it soothing (cause I get them wrong, have to start over, get frustrated over that...), so I just keep repeating to myself, "inner peace". Over and over and over again. And if it's a bad pain day, I'll add to it..."inner peace and pain relief". Sounds silly, but it helps me.

Malika

One day I will die; this is just a passing show; what is the right thing I can do now?
I find all these calming thoughts.

Marguerite

EvanBaxter, we are all good at playing. But not your kind of games, apparently. Grow up or get out. We have enough difficult children in our lives with our kids, to have to put up with another one here.

MWM, to get back on track - you want calming thoughts but say that humour is acceptable. How about "Lord I pray for patience and I want it right now!"

Or there's the alternative serenity prayer -
"God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
and the eyesight to tell the difference."

And here are a couple of other useful thoughts to give you a different focus (censored, of course - this site is sensitive about such things).

Lord, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they cheesed me off.
Stress: That conflict which arises when the brain overrides the body's basic desire to choke the living daylights out of some idiot who desperately needs it.

Marg

Status
Not open for further replies.