Your favorite charities

BusynMember

I was thinking about this today. Don't ask me why :tongue:.

I can never pass up throwing something into a can if it's a pet rescue, a humane society, Special Olympics or anything for autism.

Do you have a favorite charity? I know, dumb post...lol.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well, we are partial to the Crohn's & Colitis Foundation of America :)

And NAMI.

And the Red Cross.

And CABF.

M

ML

I'm actually our workplace giving Chairperson for this year. I'm always asking someone for money lol. We had our annual chili cook off and a bake sale recently and raised a good bit for a foundation that helps the employees as they fall on hard times. There are hundreds of charities to pick from with our campaign and I get to see where people put their money. Believe it or not Dumb Friends League is one of the most popular.

klmno

SPCA/humane society, juvenile diabetes, anything for disabled vets, the local food bank- not in any particular order. When I die, educational scholarships will also be set up, assuming I can keep my life insurance. I'd like to do more for MI and abused children but haven't found any local agency that I'm confident in yet- I'd like to be a CASA volunteer someday. If I'm working full-time I think it blows it due to schedule requirements.

crazymama30

Well, we cannot donate on a regular basis but I do try to give homeless people who stand on street corners money. Not too much, a buck or whatever.

The other day difficult child gave up his dollar and a handful of candy he got out of a quarter machine. Not sure if the guy ate the candy, but he took it.

donna723

I don't have much to donate anymore, but when I did, I donated monthly to St. Judes in Memphis, and to the Animal Rescue Foundation (ARF), a state-of-the-art no kill animal shelter in California that was founded by Tony LaRussa, the manager of the St. Louis Cardinals.

And in our little town there is always someone collecting for something - the kids ball teams, the Shriners, the Humane Society. And I'm going to start donating pet food to the Humane Society for our local shelter that operates on a shoestring. My littliest Boston, Trace, came from the Humane Society. He was in such bad shape when he was brought in, I'm sort of surprised that they didn't just put him down. But even on their tight budget, they spent hundred of dollars getting him the surgery and treatment he needed and now I have this beautiful, happy, healthy little guy running through my house, playing with toys and getting in trouble!

flutterby

Fly away!
I don't have anything extra to donate right now, but when I did I donated to:

St Judes
ASPCA
local humane society
HSUS
local food bank

and a couple other disease specific organizations that I can't remember the name of because I'm brain dead.

M

ML

Hey MWM :) Dumb Friend's League is a foundation that helps animals (thus the dumb lol). I forget it's native to Colorado; sorry about being so cryptic.

Have a great day!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Over the years, we've donated fairly regularly though not all at the same time, to:

doctors without Borders
Tourette Syndrome Association
TLC
Food Share
St. Judes
The Humane Society
The Cancer Society
The Lung Association
Local scholarship fund
Local homeless shelters
My personal favorite: a battered women and children's shelter that services all of Hartford County, the Farmington Valley, and some parts of Litchfield county here in CT.

We always drop a dollar or two in the Salvation Army can (who can ignore the freezing guy/gal in the Santa hat ringing his/her bell for hours on end?), though I will admit that I skipped a couple of years because I heard the Salvation Army doesn't hire homosexuals...not sure if it's true but I finally reasoned that they do more good than harm so what they hey.

Last edited:

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
husband & I were big supporters of:

Wilder Foundation
Lutheran's Children Society
Epilepsy Foundation
Disabled Veterans of America
Habitat for Humanity

Since husband died I've had to cut back in a big way my donations to these facilities.

Fran

Former desparate mom
I tend to look to see how much of the donations makes it to the needy.
My favorite is a soup kitchen started by one of the Sisters of Mercy from my high school in my old hometown. Very small and very needed.
There is the Autism society, scholarship fund at husband's alma mater and a few others that have personal meaning to me.

I figure every lottery ticket I buy that benefits senior citizens or education is a donation too.
Mostly, I try to find a need and reach in to help fix it in my every day life. Sometimes that's with time, or work or donation. I'm not a big joiner of groups.

DammitJanet

I always give to the people who collect for causes like the when the firemen stand out with boots to collect when firemen have died. I also give to Toys for Tots.

Our Piggly Wiggly has a little card you swipe and a percentage of what you buy goes to various charities you pick out. Mine are the NAMI, The Fibro Association and the Arthritis Association.

DDD

What a smart idea your grocery store had! Our chains all require independent solicitations for charitable causes. By setting up the way PW has, they would be saving employee time and endearing customers.

My donations are almost exclusively time and leadership offerings. Until recently all were centered on children and the protection of civil rights. Now I am working to get trails built in the community. My volunteering years should be over by 2011. I hope, lol. DDD

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Our School
No Kill Animal Shelters in the Area
Abused Women's and Children Center's in the area
CABF
NAMI
CHADD
WWF (The girl's just donated their savings to the Black Footed Ferret and the Amur Leopard)
TROT

I pick different locations throughout the year and who is low on donations.
Animal shelters are in desperate need right now and woman's shelters.

As it starts to get cold I try to donate blankets and food to the homeless.

BusynMember

Hey MWM :) Dumb Friend's League is a foundation that helps animals (thus the dumb lol). I forget it's native to Colorado; sorry about being so cryptic.

Have a great day!

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! LOLOL! I thought...huh???

I love animals. If I have any change, even just a bit, and it's a hard week for me I will still throw money into a can if it's for helping animals. I just love them. Sometimes I think I love them more than people...hmmmmmmmm...I'm sure I'd get a new diagnosis for that!!! ;)

On a serious note, I worked for a homeless shelter when we lived in Illinois, but, believe it or not, there aren't any where I live. Nowhere. God knows where the homeless hang out. They aren't on the streets. I have a real soft spot for the homeless, even if they are there because of bad choices. Maybe it's because I've seen my own kids make bad choices.

muttmeister

I try to stick mostly to local charities where the money stays in the community. I am also a sucker for anything animal related.
The other two I give to regularly are the Shriners and the Salvation Army (hadn't heard about the homosexual thing but, as you say, even if it's true I think they do a lot of good).

KTMom91

Our local childrens' shelter; gifts at Christmas, the Jammie Drive, socks, underwear, etc.

Our town's animal shelter; food, treats, blankets, etc.

Our local no-kill shelter; donations through Facebook (look for Save-a-Dog and Save-a-Cat) , attending their holiday party, etc.

Lothlorien

We've always donated to St. Jude's.
We are also involved in the Epilepsy Foundation, now. Did you know that November is Epilepsy Awareness Month?

We do a lot of local charities....the women's shelter, food pantry and when there's a driver for a local child or family. The local ones really hit home.

We don't have much to give this year either. It's unfortunate that so many people are so needy this year, but there is just not enough people that are able to give as they have in the past.