Your favorite song when you were growing up.

BusynMember

Since many of us are broaching senior citizen age, I was wondering what your favorite songs were as a teen. Also, join in if you're younger, although I personally may not know the song :D. I haven't really kept up.

I thought of this thread because I heard my favorite son the other day. I remember I used to turn off the lights in my room (don't know why, but I liked music better that way) put my head between the speakers of my stereo and listen to "My Sweet Lord" by George Harrison over and over again. I LOVED IT. I can't tell you why--something about the music. To this day, my siblings cover their ears when they hear the song, but I still love it. I also had a few other favorites:

1/My Pledge of Love--Joe Jeffrey Group (I think)
2/Young Girl (Gary Puckett and the Union Gap)
3/Precious and Few (Climax)
4/Build Me Up Buttercup (Foundations)
5/The Story in your Eyes (Moody Blues)

I realize I had poor taste :tongue:. Like everything else in my life and in difficult child fashion, if I liked a song, I'd play the record on top volume twenty times in a row. I'm surprised my parents let me. I think they didn't want to start up with me by telling me to stop!

tiredmommy

Here's a few:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ta0a3DFUU0Y"]YouTube - Gordon Lightfoot - If You Could Read My Mind[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIYb9bBA9mY"]YouTube - Venice is Sinking - Spirit of the West[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWYDVxIgA0M"]YouTube - PAYOLAS - Where Is This Love[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWtHEmVjVw8"]YouTube - Video Killed the Radio Star[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXtqcL_utZ8"]YouTube - "I'm an Adult Now" by The Pursuit of Happiness[/ame]

I'll find more later, lol!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I had so many. My all-time favorite is "The Wonderful Thing About Tiggers"... I just love music is all.

Hmm. Well as a young teen anything by Duran Duran. Older, I liked Van Halen, Extreme, Queensryche... Dream Theater... And then Tori Amos. Lots more that I love but those are the ones that come to mind right off. If I have to pick one song, it would probably be... Wow. I don't know. "Lonely In Your Nightmare" by Duran Duran. Maybe.

crazymama30

my taste was very difficult child'ish. Ozzy Osbourne, Metallica, A/C D/C, Def Leppard and mostly all the hair bands. Ozzy and Metallica were my favs, especially the Enter Sandman album. I still like them. I got rid of most of my difficult child traits (or so I like to think!) except my music.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Gosh there are so many -

But one that has stuck with me over the years - ?

They're coming to take me away haha ho ho he he to the funny farm....:tongue:

Had I only known then - :laugh:

OZZY ROCKS.

muttmeister

I don't remember one particular song but I did like all of the do-wop stuff and anything by Elvis. I tend to be a little twisted so I remember singing Purple People Eater and The Witch Doctor. One year in grade school they let a few of us perform Runing Bear. In high school I liked Fabian's Tiger. I loved James Brown. By college I was into Aretha Franklin and Otis Redding and Bob Dylan and Joan Baez and The Rolling Stones.
Does all of that make me one of the oldest people here?

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Oh jeez. As a preteen I liked corny stuff. My very first 45 was Charlie Pride's, "Did you happen to see the most beautiful girl in the world? Tell her I love her....tell her I'm sorry." Hahaha. Then I moved onto stealing my older sister's Carly Simon albums. When I was 15/16 my brother gave me almost his entire collection of really cool albums (all complete with scratches), which included Rolling Stones, Grateful Dead, Pink Floyd, Little Feet and others. When I was able to buy my own stuff, I was onto disco-y stuff...I think I played the Donna Summer album so many times and so loudly that my poor dad was going to kick me out at one point. Hahaha - but her music was so great to dance to as I readied myself for a night out dancing. I also listened to Todd Rundgren at some point and Marshall Tucker Band, Allman Brothers, Bruce Springsteen, etc. And yes, even Michael Jackson - The Thriller. Hahaha.

No favorites - very eclectic mix of oldies, disco, and rock. My siblings were all much older than me, so it was nice to be exposed to music from the 50's, 60's and then later my own coming of age stuff.

DammitJanet

As a youngin I was into David Cassidy. I adored him...lol. My dad took me to see him in concert when I was 8. Then when I was slightly older I grew into slightly older music like "Run Joey Run", "Chevy Van", "The Night Chicago Died" ...I guess what is now known as 70's bubblegum rock.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Gosh, if I had to list one favorite song, it would probably take until I croak to figure it out, if by then. However, one of my more unique favorites was "Help! I'm White And I Can't Get Down" by the Geezinslaws, I found it on a little juke box in a tiny little out-in-the-middle-of-nowhere bar that I really shouldn't have been in...

trinityroyal

Gosh! Having to pick just one favourite, that's really hard.

My very first favourite song, when I was about 3, was:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYxoAJ3Boyc"]YouTube - Peggy Lee: Fever![/ame]

I used to vamp around the house to it, and knew all the words.

In my pre-teens and teens, my taste definitely tended toward the difficult child-ish.
The Clash, the Sex Pistols, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Bauhaus...and back then you had to crawl into the back of a grotty record store downtown and go into the "import" section (usually in a dusty basement) to find all this stuff.

But I also loved the classic stuff from the 50s, 60s and 70s
- Fingertips, by Little Stevie Wonder
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIfgwNJkCMI"]YouTube - Stevie Wonder - Fingertips (Live)[/ame]

And Big Band stuff from the 30s and 40s
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEdh2MmIIVs"]YouTube - Gene Krupa - Drum Boogie (from Ball of Fire, 1941)[/ame]
(Check out Barbara Stanwyk singing Drum Boogie by Gene Krupa...one of my all-time favourites)

Too many to pick just one. Too many styles to pick just one.

And yes, I LOVE they're coming to take me away ha ha, they're coming to take me away, ho ho, hee hee, ha ha, to the funny farm, where life is beautiful ALL the time, and I'll be happy to see those wonderful men in their great white coats, and they're coming to take me awaaaayyyy!

Trinity

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Initially, I couldn't think of my all time favorite because there are just so many!

Now that I've thought about it, it would have to be Stevie Wonder's "Ribbon in the Sky"

Abbey

Spork Queen
My...the Stevie Wonder is a classic. Only 12 years old. What a talent he is. Odd that he went on to be known for piano, but I bet you could throw any instrument at him and he'd nail it down.

Abbey

'Chelle

Well, I don't know if I ever really had a favorite. My first favorites were The Monkees, and The Beatles I must have been around 6-7. Then I remember liking Lighthouse - Sunny Days and some stuff by Paul Williams - Rainy Days & Mondays. Then there was Led Zepplin - D'yer Mak'er, Procul Harum - Conquistador. But I suppose my most favorite song, still love it was Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin.

I have very mixed taste in music - on my mp3 I have a bit of everything from Michael Buble to McMaster & James to Ozzy, AD/Difficult Child and Godsmack LOL

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I LOVE Michael Buble! I listen to him on my iPod every single morning on my way to work. He put so much emotion into his singing that I can actually picture him smiling and wooing. I've never seen the DVD - I must look for that! easy child and difficult child are hooked on him as well. difficult child calls him a modern day Frank Sinatra - I call him better....lol

Abbey

Spork Queen
He IS the modern day Frank Sinatra. The sad thing is he hates to sing that style...but he's darn good at it and obviously makes a good chunk of change doing so. The DVD is well worth the money. I think I'm going to put it on right now. ;)

Abbey

N

Nomad

Devil in a Blue Dress
Build me a Buttercup
Crystal Blue Persuasion
Time in a Bottle
I am Woman