***10 Hankie Movies***

F

flutterbee

Re: Where the Red Fern Grows - I didn't cry at the movie, but I cry at the end of the book everytime. I've read it at least 7 or 8 times.

Kathy813

Staff member
My favorite movie is Anne of A Thousand Days but it's not exactly a tearjerker.

I don't cry very easily so I don't really have any to add to the list but I do love all of the movies that y'all have mentioned.

However, I know that after reading Sophie's Choice that I can't even think about watching that movie. The "choice" scene would tear me apart.

~Kathy

Wow, I feel like I have been left out of some exclusive club. Not intentionally or anything, I just never got the gene that makes me want to watch any of those movies.

I did watch Beaches. And I cried. Of course, I cried at the end of Armageddon too.

Of course, I cried at the end of Monsters, Inc. too.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Old Yeller....gets me every time I watch it....dog saves kid, then gets rabies and has to be shot.......agh, I tear up just thinking about it...so UNFAIR for a great dog.....

Love Story was a real tear jerker too....How dare Ali McGraw get sick after putting Ryan O'Neal thru law school...then the father thinking "Oliver" needs the money to pay off some bimbo.....

I'm not much of a cryer, but those two can get me....And there was one made for tv movie (can't remember the title) about kids who committed suicide, made a pact....I was just sobbing....had to finally shut it off.....

Marguerite

I cried when I saw "Ann of a Thousand Days" in the cinema, back when I was in my teens. Loved that film. I've watched for Genevieve Bujold in anything, ever since.

And "Beaches" too. Definitely.

Mentioning the character of Oliver in "Love Story" reminds me of Oliver Reed, in "The Devils". While I cried in that one also, the horror was overwhelming.

While "Armageddon" is very moving, it was too jingoistic for me, I mentally switched off.

And "Steel Magnolias" - definitely. I first saw that on a plane to Athens, I couldn't let myself cry because there was a planeload of people, including my family and in-laws, who would have never let me forget it. But every time I've seen it since, it has the same effect.

husband has put in his vote for "Fried Green Tomatoes".

I remember, back when I was a uni student, I went with a male friend of Latvian parentage to a marathon screening of "War and Peace" - the extended, Russian (brilliantly dubbed) 18 hour movie. I do remember there were some scenes in that which really hit home for him, the poor lad was sobbing in my arms in a scene where young boys and older men were being executed by firing squad. Other parts of the movie also really got to him, too.

Which brings me to "Dr Zhivago" - another 10 hankie movie, if only because you'll have gone through 10 hankies in the very long time it takes to watch it. That scene at the end where he thinks he sees Lara on the street but as he runs to try to catch up to her, his heart gives out. Oh, there was so much tragedy in that movie. Brilliant stuff, but heavy going on the emotions.

Marg

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
:slap:How could I have forgotten "Doctor Zhivago"----that's a major weeper. :sad:

Thanks, Marg!

Everyone is making such good suggestions. Thanks! Any animal movie has me weeping. Oh heck- I cry watching the news at night!

Suz

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I cry at almost every movie I see, even if it's funny. Definitely Steal Magnolias, The Notebook, Last of the Mohicans, Terms of Endearment, Titanic, Homeward Bound, Fried Green Tomatos, The English Patient, Milo & Otis, , A Beautiful Life, and more...I love a good tear jerker.

DDD

OMG.......Bambi breaks us all up. When Bambi's Mommy died my
easy child reacted at the movie theater. He is a big honcho law enforcement officer and if I say "Bambi" he instantly turns into
a little boy again.

ET is just too much.

Kramer vs. Kramer absolutely.

DDD

amstrong

Steel Magnolias
Terms of Endearment
Imitation of Life
Splendor in the Grass
Love Story
Old Yeller

to name a few--if it is sad, I will cry. I most always cry during Extreme Makeover-Home Edition. As a kid I would always cry during the Wizard of Oz when the professor leaves Oz without Dorothy.

I cried for Old Yeller. We saw it in my first grade class. The teacher noticed and tried to soothe my tears, which meant the whole class knew I choked up.

How about "Dr. Zhivago"? Where Yuri spots Lara on the street and has a heart attack trying to get off the street car and run to her? Or when young Tonya recalls how Komaravski abandoned her ("he let go of my hand... he let go of my hand"?

{Added in edit} Well I missed page three somehow, but on rereading I see that Marguerite already called Dr. Zhivago, same scene! Good one.

None of you ladies cried at "Apollo 13" or "Master and Commander"? :rofl:

wife would vote for Steel Magnolias and Romeo and Juliet ('68 Franco Zeffirelli version) and the rest of the "Top Ten Ten Hanky Movies" in this thread.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had forgotten Imitation of Life. That was a 15 hankie! </div></div>

Oh Lordy, I'll say!

(we are dating ourselves! :rofl:)

Suz