$100 for a loose gas cap!

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
grrrr hisssss, I went right to the dealership this morning b4 court. I paid $100 to find out why the darned light was on on my car dash, and guess why???

because the car was saying there was a gas vapor leak, but there wasn't, the gas station guy did not screw my lid on tight enough!

So a mental note: a loose gas cap can cost you $100!

:angrygirl:

donna723

I hate to say it but you got scr#wed! If you took it in to the dealership that should have been the very first thing they looked for and then just tightened it to be nice! What did they do to earn $100? The "Check Engine" light usually means something with the emission control system and it can be as simple as a loose gas cap! If I knew that, they should have known that! It's NOT the same as if the "Check Engine" light is on and flashing! They should have known to look for that first and eliminated that before they did whatever they say they did to charge you $100! I learned all this the hard way, of course!

I paid about the same thing once to have something similar done with mine. I drove to the post office, went in, and when I came out my car wouldn't start. Wouldn't do anything! I had to pay to have it towed to a dealership in a neighborhing town, leave it there all day, then hitch a ride there to pick it up. They charged me about $100 and said they had gotten it started but that it might mess up on me again! A few days later my son (who knows everything about cars) called me. He said that for some reason the ignition wasn't recognizing the little electronic dooie in my key ... and when it does that you can put the key in and turn it to "On" where the stuff on the dash comes on and just leave it for 15-20 minutes. That resets it and usually it will start! And that's exactly what that *&%#* dealer did ... they turned the key to "On", left it a while, and charged me over $100! Of course, it's all my sons fault! If he would call his mama more often, I might have known that!

Nancy

Recently my VSC light came on and I took it to the jiffy lube place where I had my oil changed and they said it was because the air hose popped off. They reconnected the air hose (for free) and tried to turn off the light but they were locked out of the codes to do that. I took it to another place and they told me the same thing, the dealer has to turn it off. So I took it to the dealer and told them to just turn off the light, I had fixed the problem. They said it would still cost me $49. I said forget it that light can stay on until it burns out.

Nancy