110 degrees all week long...

KTMom91

...but it's a dry heat, they say. The swamp cooler is blowing sorta cool air, the dog is passed out on the bed in a direct line to get what cool air there is, I have my orthopedist appointment tomorrow, and I DO NOT want to wear that knee brace. I DO NOT want to cook anything for dinner, I DO NOT want to do dishes, or laundry, or anything else that expends energy. I DO NOT want to get in the car because it's hot in there. I DO NOT want to put on appropriate clothing to leave the house.

Local news says we're on the second day of a two-week heat wave. And every year, I ask myself the same question..."WHY did I leave the Bay Area?"

Andy

I am just melting reading your post. I can hardly handle anything over 80 degrees. I am working taking tickets at the county fair for three days in a row (10 hour days) in a few weeks and am hoping that it is not unbearably hot. Every year I ask myself if the pay is really worth it, but I lather on the sunscreen, take lots of liquids and we get hour breaks for lunch and dinner so I plug away and enjoy the extra income for bills or Christmas shopping.

Sending the coldest of cold air your way (no shoulders at all :) ).

Does it atleast cool down at night? When I was visiting Texas one year it did not even cool down at night - that was the hardest part to take.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
It's on 90 here but we are still not putting the air conditioners in. I AM GROUCHY. I hope you can stay cool. I would send you a fan but well I am selfish and my dogs might revolt.

Beth

Abbey

Spork Queen
Mary...join the crowd. Try MOVING in this heat. There is a reason I don't live up North anymore, but this is ridiculous.

Abbey

Steely

OK.........so, call me crazy...........but lately, after living in Dallas for 35 years I have finally begun to enjoy the heat. In fact, now, after years of promising I would move North, I may never move from the South (although I must move closer to the mountains). There is something about it now, that I find comforting. I know - weird. :mad:

Jungleland

Welcome to my jungle!
Oh man can I relate! We hit 112 today!! And it's supposed to be between 110-115 all week long! And NOOOOO it does not cool off at night, at least not enough to be able to open windows and turn off the swamp coolers. Thank the good Lord for swamp coolers and kiddie pools! I HATE THIS HEAT!!!!!!!!!

Drink lots and lots of water, if you have a mister, USE IT! I love mine and want to get a couple more, they really help. Besides that, I am in the kiddie pool with 8 kids for many hours daily! Insane, I know!!!

How long till fall?????

I'm melting....

Wiped Out

Staff member
I'm sorry you are melting! I don't mind the heat-it's the humidity that drives me crazy! I hope the Fall comes for you soon but not for me because that means back to work.

B

butterflydreams

I can totally relate. It is supposed to be 112 degrees today and tomorrow. Ugh! It was already warmish when I took the dog out at 6:30am.

Christy

:hot:

Marguerite

I feel for you. High heat like that is even worse when it continues day after day.

A couple of years ago we had a dangerously hot New Year's Day when temperatures passed 47 C, which I just calculated as 118 F. It actually peaked just above that at sometime after 5 pm. We'd been inside the house all day, hiding from the heat, waiting for it to begin to cool after the peak before going to the beach to cool off. We finally gave up at 4.30 pm, got home at 6 pm to find the electronic thermometer had gone even higher in our absence but was finally on the way back down.

Temperatures that high kill plants.

Are you anywhere near the fires? A really big bushfire can raise the temperature in your area to heights like this. Back in 1994 and our last really bad fires, the heat was that bad again (we didn't have a thermometer, but I remember it). The winds were blowing right off the fire, and were scorchingly hot. The hot wind actually killed all the grass in our backyard, it was so bad. I had my cleaning lady helping that day, she put wet towels out on the line and they were crisp dry when we checked them, 45 minutes later.

The fire hit the town that afternoon, and we had to get out. We were OK, though. No water for a week, so we had to wash by going for a swim, and drink bottled water.

Suggestion for coping in the heat - close all windows and doors. Put wet towels to block any draughts. Hang wet towels over open windows while there is any sort of breeze as long as the sun isn't on that side of the house. Keep windows shaded by keeping curtains closed. Basically, treat your house like an Arab woman in full burkah. There is one very good reason for burkahs - keeping cool in atrocious heat.

Collect water in bottles, keep as much in the fridge as you can. Make ice. Freeze plastic drink bottles of water (not too full). Do not waste your water but keep it for drinking. To get the most out of a drink bottle of ice, top it up with drinking water and the ice will melt a bit and chill the drinking water as it does so. Over the day, you can use this to produce twice or three times the quantity of drinking water at a pleasantly cool temperature. (On our scorching hot days, our drinking water comes out of the tap at over 60 C sometimes - that's 140 F).

Other ways to keep cool - wet your clothing. And if you can prepare ahead - get some water crystals. You know the granular stuff, looks like sugar, that they sell to mix with your garden soil, that turns into gel when it gets soaked with water? If you make a long tubular scarf, the tube about an inch in diameter and a foot long, with another six inches of plain length on each end, you then put 2 g of these crystals (about half a teaspoon) into the tube and stitch it closed. Then when you want to get cool, soak the tube in water until it puffs up and then wear it around your neck. It should stay moist and cool for days.
You only need water crystals in the part that actually goes round your neck. The extra length of plain material is so you can tie it on.

I also have an eye mask that has been made in a similar way - it's fabulous for migraines. It stays cool for days, instead of getting warm in minutes.

Keep hydrated, keep out of the sun and heat, keep the house shaded and closed off from hot winds, and you should slide through.

Hang in there.

I'm currently sitting at my desk in my down jacket, wearing thermals and thick woollen socks and still feeling cold. It's snowing on the Blue Mountains inland of Sydney and I'm COLD!

Marg

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Its been unbearable down in So. Ca as well. I don't have air conditioning in my house, and this year is the first year I have been tempted to put it in. It didn't really bother me not having it - I spend all day in the office anyway where I have air, and don't leave till late when its cooler. But I pretty much spent the weekend at work cause it was just too darn hot at home.

I keep telling myself at least its "dry" heat - it could be a lot worse - like being humid on top of it.

Marcie

chrisdog01

I am in Central Ca. also, and it's miserable!!!! Yesterday it was 111 degrees! I don't think it ever cooled off last night and I had to sleep with the AC on all night.

4sumrzn

NO thank you. I feel for all of you in the triple digits. I don't think I could do it. Lots of ice baths maybe?