11y/o boy out of control.

G0ingcrazy1nCA

My son has ADHD and takes medications for this. He was diagnosed 4 years ago at age 8. He has been through 6 different medications which all have the same effect on him. They work for a month and then he begins to talk about killing himself and detaching from the family. He has problems in school mostly just not doing the work. He scores high on test so teacher are not worried. I am!
In the last few months, mind you I took him off his medications 3 weeks ago, he is now talking about killing someone, anyone, and has stated that he wants to burn someone. He also destroys everything he gets, even expensive toys that he wants. In the last few days I have found a picture of me with the face torn out and a picture of his dad with the face scratched up. I have called my local Mental Health and left a message but no one has returned my call and my insurance wont let me go anywhere else.

I am lost and dont know what to do. HE NEEDS HELP!

G0ingcrazy1nCA

My 11 year old son has ADHD and takes medications for this. He was diagnosed 4 years ago at age 8. He has been through 6 different medications which all have the same effect on him. They work for a month and then he begins to talk about killing himself and detaching from the family. He has problems in school mostly just not doing the work. He scores high on test so teacher are not worried. I am!
In the last few months, mind you I took him off his medications 3 weeks ago, he is now talking about killing someone, anyone, and has stated that he wants to burn someone. He also destroys everything he gets, even expensive toys that he wants. In the last few days I have found a picture of me with the face torn out and a picture of his dad with the face scratched up. I have called my local Mental Health and left a message but no one has returned my call and my insurance wont let me go anywhere else.

I am lost and dont know what to do. HE NEEDS HELP!

Wiped Out

Staff member
Welcome to our little corner of the world. It sounds like there is more than just ADHD going on. Who diagnosed him? Was it a pediatrician or a child psychiatrist?

It sounds like he is really off right now-maybe enough to take him to the ER-especially if he is talking about hurting himself (and I would guess someone else as well). I would keep calling places until I received some sort of answer!

Sending gentle hugs your way.

BusynMember

Hi there and welcome to the board, although I'm sorry you have to be here.

I am wondering if you could go into more detail on your son's history and his family's psychiatric history. Any bipolar in the family? Did this child, by any chance, have a chaotic early life or was he adopted out of foster care or at an older age? Any abuse in his background? Any delays and does he know how to make friends in school? Does he live with both Dad and Mom? Any siblings? How does he get along with them, if so.

I am thinking there is more to his story than what was set down and much more going on than ADHD. ADHD does not make children talk about killing themselves or other people. And none of us will be shocked that he has said these things. A lot of our kids do, but there is usually more going on than ADHD if they talk that way. Does he have a fascination with fire? Is he nice to animals or not?

Off the cuff, I'd say he needs an intensive neuropsychologist evaluation.

We really do need to know more about him.

Hugs and hope to hear more.

DDD

I, also, think that ADHD is not the whole picture. I have raised three ADHD kids and none of them displayed that degree of violence. Do you have insurance coverage? If you do I strongly recommend that you schedule a neuro/psychiatric examination to actually find out what issues you are facing. The N/P exams are, unfortunately, quite costly. They often include eight or more hours of testing by multiple professionals BUT most of us who have been able to get those exams have ended up knowing what the true picture is/was for our children and therefore we have been able to seek appropriate help. Welcome to the Board. I'm sorry you had to find us but am glad you located such a caring group for support. Hugs DDD

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
If you are seriously concerned that he may harm himself or someone else - I would seriously consider taking him to the ER to start the process. They have to work with you. Keep us posted.

My son is also 11 and diagnosis'd with ADHD and ODD. He takes medications but we can never get the maximum benefit without causing aggression and/or sleep issues. He also says things about wanting to die/kill himself.