13 year old stealing from my purse

Justwannacry

I had suspected that he was stealing after $80 in quarters from the jar went missing over a 2 month period. But I couldn't prove it and actually suspected his 15/yo sister. But I just got a call from the school that he was flashing around a large amount of money and one of the bills was a $50. Last night I broke a $100 bill and got a $50 and a $20 as change.

His father and I are divorced but he has been stealing from his father as well. My first reaction is to scream and ground him but that doesn't work and he has such a temper he ends up breaking stuff in my house. So then I thought maybe I would try the "disappointed" route. the "Guilt" route.

What should I do? I was brought up knowing stealing was wrong and I never did it. I don't even know where to start with this.

BusynMember

Lock your money up.

I know he's young, but my daughter started using drugs at age 12. Look for clues of that too.

I'm so sorry.

InsaneCdn

Lock YOUR money up. And your daughters. And tell your ex to do the same.
Somehow, you have to dry up the money tree.

But... while you are at it, lock up ANYTHING that has value. They quickly figure out how to turn other things into cash.

Has your son's "temper" ever been evaluated by a professional? Any idea what the rest of the picture is?

SuZir

Also adding to what SWOT and Insane said: Why was he flashing the money around at school? What was his motive to that? Aside of punishing him and keeping him from doing it again that is something you have to investigate. What is going on that he felt need to do that?

Clearly he didn't steal the money to use it to something right away, so there was another reason.

Mary Nebeker

Most of the time when a child habitually steals is suffering from a poor self-image and needs to steal to boost his worth or get attention.