13 yr son start metformin 1 week ago

RobinD

Well finally got my 13 yr son on metformin his thryoid dr had finally put him on it. The new kids program (obesity clinic) refuse to put him on it and even talk with his thyroid nurse practioner and got her to agree also not to put him on metformin. We usually see the nurse practioner at the endo clinic for his thyroid but this time we got to see the dr. And she prescribed the metformin said lets give it a 6 month trial. She said with his genes from both sides of the family, the medications and his continue to gain weight. He had gain another 3 lbs since his appointment at new kids which was on jan 18 and went to see his endo on Feb. 5. She said that she has a few patients on it one who had seen no difference at all. She said if it does not show a difference in 6 months she will probably take him off it. So I am hoping we see progress with it. He also has a high insulin level at 35 suppose to be under 15. She said to see how Willy does before bringing his sister in for a new patient.
So any experiences with metformin for the weight gain or weight loss for our kids??
Sorry haven't been around husband sister had died a week ago and had funeral on friday.

daralex

Clinging onto my sanity
Just sending ((hugs)) and good thoughts/hopes! I don't have experience in this are except difficult child's bio dad weighed 450 when he overdosed and difficult child is named after his brother that weighed 800lbs - no exaggeration1 they had to cremate him in sections as he couldn't fit into the "chamber" in one piece. difficult child now stnda at 5'11" at age 13 - it is a major hinderance in her social life. i hope the new medications bring succesful results. Keep us posted!!!!
-dara

RobinD

Hubby sister was 50 yrs old and weigh around 400 lbs. She had alot of health issues as well. Her familly found her in her bed already passed away. She was cremated too.
My ds is short and husky. He is 4'9 and 130 lbs now. I wish he grow taller his sister is almost as tall as him and they are 3 yrs apart she is also over weight she weighs 116 lbs.

BusynMember

My son was quite overweight and we tried it, but, sadly, it didn't help. He was still very hungry. He didn't stop eating 24/7 until he was able to go off medication. In my son's case, he is adopted and we don't know his genetic history. He was 180 lbs. and under five feet tall. Now he's about five four and 171.

RobinD

Did you combine the metformin with diet and exercise? What other medications was he on that time? We have try the diet and exercise for a year now and figure we try it for 6 months to see if will help aide with hunger, weight loss and bring down the insulin levels. He is on many medications that contribute to increase appetite and weight gainers. I just hope it works for him.
thanks!

BusynMember

Robin, my son is very sedate and the medications just made him lazier. He did do soccer and swim team for a few years, but his medications (Lithium and Seroquel) kind of made him tired and he wasn't motivated to do much. I'm sure if he'd exercised it would have made a big difference! If you can get your boy to work out, wow. He's on his way! As an aside, medication weight can CAN be undone. I've been on a weight-gaining antidepressant for fifteen years. I went from 110-180. I'm down to about 130 now (and I'd lost more than that and am trying to lose again). It can be done with attention to diet, calories and exercise.