<2 mths til 18 *LONG in my opinion* (repost)

Would you give up on two more yrs of public education or say get a GED & Job?

• Total voters

TheOnlyMe

Relentless Warrior Mom
Well I guess I need to vent! I am so tired of fighting:faint: for my son's FAPE!

He is a pretty good difficult child! He keeps curfew (even comes home early three times in a row) and doesn't self medicate, is medication complaint, attends psychiatric family counseling and support group. His social friends are limited, due to the fact a couple months ago his best friends stole a bike and he told the truth. He stood up to the peer pressure to tell them he does not want those associations. Hopefully as of the 16th of this month he will turn 18 with a clean criminal record despite four tickets during his "cocktail and coping skills" being perfected. He is slothful in his chores but I have learned to pick my battles on the chores. Thank God I don't have a SO to hear it from when the chores are "let go"

Here comes my vent......I have been a VERY active participant during his education with special services from 5 yrs old! I should say he was diagnosis severe ADHD at 5, but Bipolar I-only two yrs ago.(a whole other post) EVERY YEAR I always knew (like us moms do) he was challenged in Math and English . Yet I had no "evidence", well last year the P-DR pulled him out to homebound due to the stress from school stalled in the IEE process to determine Learning Disability (LD) with these two subjects. We had a great plan (the best as of yet) set in place as of last annual IEP after IEE last year. Yet he was still in what I call "diagnosis gestation stage" of his BiPolar (BP)/MD diagnosis which takes about 2 yrs to get cocktail right and "owning the diagnosis". So he attempted suicide 2 x in less than 60 days, which thru this WM for a looptee loop to just survive let alone monitor the enforcement of the IEP! Yet we did! ANYWHO....his Best Ever IEP is not followed he spirals quickly, we get approval for a DTC thru SD. I am concerned about the curriculum of the facility, which was warranted! Yet he did stabilizes and NO MORE STIMULANTS AT ALL for his severe ADHD which was causing the Mania. He did acquire self awareness which he didnt have, prior to DTC BUT:mad: here we are now!

In the throws of a battle for RE-evaluation time line not being completed(which should be noted I knew was due to them wanting to transfer rights at age of maturity-so I got a Durable Power of ATTY), no annual IEP completed due to Peeing contest over RE-evaluation or class testing, CBA and TAKS scores for planning and evaluation purposes. I am contemplating filing a complaint with TEA after going thru the "steps" with the SD. TAKS scores received yesterday (which was the last day of school) for Eng, Math, Sci, SS, scores did not met standards. I do know the results came out two weeks ago but once again THEY stalled the delivery of the information, or so as to not to have to suggest EYS! Oh yea forgot when the DTC transition him they did a Mini battery WCJ and he scored 3 & 4 PR in math and english!
:sick: Also, assisted technology assessment last year did yield an alpha smart(like a mini laptop) for his disability with written expression BUT the SD refuses to recognize a Learning Disability (LD). I know the label "don't matter" but it has been rumored to me it does allocate more funding for the child. :praying:My hope right now is a NeroPsych from the DARS which may show something the 11 yrs of psycho-ed evaluations have NOT!

I am so tempted to get an out of state attorney to get a class action lawsuit against the TEA, for NCLB, Child FIND, IDEA, FERPA!!! :full:

My major frustration is to let it go and give up or keep fighting for what? I have been ACTIVE for 13 yrs & for what? :angry-very: How would of the results today of been if I hadn't been advocating for 13 yrs, would he still be at the same academic deficiencies? UGH!!!! What to do???

I am trying to transition him every way I know for adult life....but am very concerned of his ability to function and maintain due to his emotional immaturity and lack of education! I have even entertained thoughts of a GED and go work off shore! Yet he wants his high school years, he will start physical strength and endurance camp on Monday for the summer. He has an initial orientation for a youth advisory training through a nonprofit group, which will train him for public speaking and learning to have a voice to be heard of his own advocacy.

The reason I posted here and not Special Education 101 is my concerns for his being an adult :biting:in less than 60 days!

His strengths are his kind, pretty obedient, loving, funny, great discernment of peoples motives and intents, he has a personal relationship with the Lord and is active in the church, he is active in support group and helping younger kids even MR at the DTC.

He wants to go to four yr college----for what??? so he can play football!!!! Yesterday he wants to be a chef today he don't even want to help me cook supper!

:peaceout:*Please tell me if I should of posted in SE 101, instead of here*

TheOnlyMe

Relentless Warrior Mom
****************This is really for FYI!!******************
Thanks to EVER1! I am a fighter and really don't know how to give up!
I never learned that coping skill myself. As my parents of bipolar kids support group told me, Tuesday I am in just a let down stage because I have not only been fighting for my own but started a support group to teach others to Advocate for their children and coach them as ya'll do here! It is frustrating and invigorating because the same **** the SD's (6 from one side of TX to the other) have been pulled on me 13 yrs ago, they are still doing it to other unknowing parents.........which is like the light to my fuel!

He and I talked about his TAKS last night, his graduation he is adamant about NOT getting a 22 credit diploma but a 24 so he can go to a four yr college! We also discussed that he can get an IEP diploma(which means he doesn't have to pass the TAKS to graduate) but told him that is a release for the SD to make sure he is on 12th grade level when he walks, but it is a decision for him to make.

I ask him what he wanted to go to college for he said I don't know but I do, which I thought was a very "normal" teenage answer. We started working on multiplications online last night and he was willing and enjoyed it SO THERE IS MY HOPE. I will continue to fight for him as long as he is participating!

He is a great guy and I am so proud that he is not "in the streets", today we go for him to get involved in a youth movement to be a VOICE for what is and is not working for the kids.

So THANKS AGAIN for the love and honest opinions....I wanted it from ya'll because you are the "seasoned" moms!:D Also, just writing it all down really helps {{{{{{{{{{{{CD}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

I will repost in Ed and try to get some more feedback UGh TX is a whole 'nother third world country when it comes to ED!!