2 questions about school assessment...

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
First I am admitting I am very tired and don't want to mess anything up... I am single Mom for the week, and with K doing so poorly head is all over the place!!!

I am checking with you all first!!! When we wrotup the paper work for the assessment/evaluation for K at the end of the school year last year, (she had not entered the school yet) They said they would start at the beginning of this school year. How does that affect the time line in regards to the "IEP/504 Meeting" and the date I sent the letter? I am going blank on all of the time lines and have not had time to look it all up, I just want to make sure I am covering my behind... Certified mail was recieved 5/31/2007 and then we signed consent papers on 6/4/2007.

My other question is in our paperwork we asked that we be notified prior to them taking K out and testing her, because of her anxiety etc.
I pick her up from school yesterday and she is freaked out about missing snack and recess, I ask her why? She says "they came and took me out of class and made me do tests"!!! I was like what!!! Are you talking about... It took me forever to get it out of her, she was really upset about it and did not want to talk about it...
I guess someone came in the day before and said "Tomorrow we will be taking you for testing" Is that them letting me know prior to testing???? She didn't remember, and wouldn't have known to tell me and did not realize what it really meant.
Then she tells me this is the second time!!! I was livid....

I called the Psychologist and left a stern but nice message, explaining that I thought they were going to call me etc. And despite EVERYONE feeling that K was doing great at school, we spend most of out time at home working with her so she will go to school and is capable of performing at school...

Any thoughts on any of this...Thanks

Sheila

It's my understanding that if your school district's administration offices are open during the summer, those days count toward the timeline requirements. If the administration offices are closed, the timeline picks up with school resuming in the fall. You'll need to check with your Special Education director to insure accuracy, and check your state regs to see what the stated time requirements are for the initial evaluation process.

The following is from the US Dept's discussion about the 2004 IDEA requirements:

(§ 300.301(c))
Comment: Numerous commenters
requested that the regulations clarify
when the 60-day timeframe for a public
agency to conduct an initial evaluation
begins. One commenter requested that
the 60-day timeframe include
completing both the evaluation and
eligibility determination.
Several commenters recommended
reducing the timeframe for evaluations
from 60 days to 30 days. Some
commenters recommended that the 60-
day timeframe be 60 school days. A few
commenters stated that the timeframe
for evaluation should be longer if
additional time is required for specific
assessments, such as behavioral
assessments or other assessments based
on scientific practices.
Discussion: It would be inconsistent
with the Act to reduce the timeframe
from 60 days to 30 days, require the 60-
day timeframe to be 60 school days,
extend the timeframe for particular
types of assessments, or require that the
60-day timeframe cover both the
evaluation and determination of
eligibility. Section 614(a)(1)(C)(i)(I) of
the Act requires an initial evaluation to
be conducted within 60 days of
receiving parental consent for the
evaluation or, if the State establishes a
timeframe within which the evaluation
must be conducted, within that
timeframe. The regulations in
§ 300.301(c) reflect this requirement.
Changes: None.
Comment: A few commenters asked
whether a State could establish a
timeframe of more than 60 days to
complete an initial evaluation. A
significant number of commenters
recommended that if a State establishes
its own timeframe within which an
evaluation must be conducted, that the
timeframe be less, but not more, than 60
days. Several commenters
recommended that if a State has its own
timeframe for evaluation, the timeframe
should be reasonable and ‘‘reasonable’’
should be defined. Some commenters
recommended that if a State’s timeframe
is greater than 60 days, the Department
should provide guidance to the State
and to parents in that State. One
commenter recommended that if a State
establishes its own timeframe, the State
must offer parents an adequate
opportunity to assert their procedural
rights.
Discussion: Section 300.301(c),
consistent with section 614(a)(1)(C)(i)(I)
of the Act, requires an initial evaluation
to be completed within 60 days of
receiving parental consent for
evaluation or, if the State establishes a
timeframe within which the evaluation
must be conducted, within such
timeframe. The Department declines to
require that a State-established
timeframe be less than 60 days or to
place additional requirements on States
with timeframes of greater than 60 days
because the Act gives States the
authority to establish different
timeframes and imposes no restrictions
on State exercise of that authority. We
believe this is evidence of an intent to
permit States to make reasoned
determinations of the appropriate
period of time in which evaluations
should be conducted based on
particular State circumstances.
Changes: None.

I requested to be notified also; it didn't happen and difficult child didn't bother to tell me when he was pulled from class for testing. Not sure there's much you can do about it except stress the anxiety reasoning.

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
I don't know what to say to this - I would be so frustrated. In fact I am in the same boat. Found out from my difficult child yesterday that last Friday (only know that because he said on school picture day) he wasn't able to go to the library with his class because he had to "take some tests". When I asked him about it he said it was with people who work at the school and it was conducted in the office. The only part of the process I have gone thru is sending the certified letter to the SD asking him to be evaluated - and in my letter I gave consent to the testing. No one has contacted me, no letter, no nothing - until today. I had a message on my machine from the school psychologist asking me to call him back. I would think just out of common courtesy they would tell the parents first.