20 month old toddler killed for not picking up toys

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
This may make your blood boil. She may have a mental illness, but kinda sounds like she's hiding behind it here. Wow.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I'm sorry but that is just crap. What a deplorable human being. And what is wrong with a man who would leave his child with a woman whose children have been taken from her?? I mean, seriously, what was HE thinking? Makes me sick.

Mental illness may be an explanation, but it's not an excuse.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
There was a case in our community about a woman who put her kids out on a country road and drove off......she was arrested for child abadonment, but she said I knew I had to get them out of the car before I did something bad.....she had run into a tree after leaving the kids.......
Not the best way to handle it, but this was a better alternative than hurting her kids......I don't really know what happened to this woman, but I hope she got help, I felt she really deserved it...........

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
WhymeMom, exactly. Desperate things may have to be done, but getting them out of your own harm's way is almost commendable... In an earlier news story, it was reported that this woman said she heard a thud in another room and went in to find the girl unresponsive. Now they say she says she blacked out. Who knows if the news is accurate, but it just makes me ill. Poor baby girl.
And she admits to not taking her medications.

happymomof2

Don't know about the rest of you but with my son we never allowed him to use his ADHD as an excuse for anything. He still had to pay consequences for his bad behavior.

Don't think this woman should be treated any different.

It is really sad.

DammitJanet

Sigh...what a tragedy. I find it horrible that this has happened but I cant help but worry about the rush to judgment that happens. Maybe she is hiding behind whatever mental illness she has...maybe not. I dont know. That will be up to the courts I suppose. I feel really badly for the child and the parents. I wish I could say I cant imagine being that out of control but there were times I wanted to hurt my kids, but something stopped me. I guess that is the difference between how out of control she was and I was.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
You're right Janet, I was quick to judge on this one, and that's something I normally try very hard not to do.
I don't know what the truth is, but the news has sure laid this one out to look like her MH is her excuse. And I HATE that. It gives those that are trying a bad rap, cause these stories get a lot of air time.

Coookie

"The probable cause statement says the state Children's Division permanently removed six of Johnson's "natural children" from her about a year ago. When Ocean had a seizure and needed to go the hospital last Tuesday, two other children from Johnson were also in the home near Brumley. Johnson is 32 years old."

I guess I don't understand if they had removed 6 children already, why were there still children with her? Makes no sense to me. :(

house of cards

Of course we don't know the whole story but this is a 32 yo adult and this baby is dead. I am sick about that. There were probably a number of things that could have prevented this. A father with some common sense and healthier child care options, the woman taking her medications, better mental health services and on and on, but, this woman killed this child. My anger is directed toward her.

susiestar

Roll With It
Poor baby. The entire thing makes me so sad. And Sick. If you think you will black out, why would youaccept responsibility for child care, your own or anyone else's?

No matter what, there should be consequences. There certainly are for poor Ocean.

donna723

". . . According to her written statement, after had fixed the kids supper during the night in question, later she was arguing with the victim about cleaning her toys up in her room."

Good grief! How does an adult ARGUE with a 20 month old child??? This is a BABY!! And what kind of an idiot would allow someone with her history to be responsible for his child???

DammitJanet

I agree with the points made about the father leaving his kid with this woman. He should have known better. He should hold some responsibility here.

Also most sane, normal people know you cant argue with a 20 month old about picking up toys. You can help them pick them up together with you as a teaching tool, but you cant argue with them. My grand daughter is 20 months old and she does a pretty good job of picking up her stuff but its made into a game with us helping her. "Dolly goes where? Thats a girl Keyana! Now where do blocks go? Oh big girl!! You are Grammy's great big helper girl!" She just beams at that kind of praise from us.

I dont mean for a minute that there should not be consequences for the actions of this woman. If she was suffering under some sort of MI that exhibited itself through a form of psychosis then she will probably need to be in a mental hospital for the criminally insane where she can get treatment along with being kept safe from herself and others safe from her.

JJJ

On dark days this is where I fear Kanga will end up. She has episodes like this where she hurts others. I can't imagine her with a defenseless baby.