1. the last day of school
2. when a CBS special came on or the Wonderful World of Disney
3. Easter egg hunts at my Gramma and Pop's house
4. smelling my Mom making cinnamon rolls on a Sat/Sun morning
5. The sprinkler & rainbows

Last edited:
N

Nomad

From time to time, I've been asked to do exercises like this and it is actually a little upsetting for me, because I am hard pressed to come up with them. I had a difficult childhood. However, there were some nice things here and there to be sure. It's probably good to think of good things and to be grateful for those in our past (and present) who help to make things pleasant.

1. A big birthday party for me in the backyard at my grandmother's home. I think I was probably about six. There are no photos...so its hard to tell.
2. Sitting on Santa's lap...perhaps I was 4.
3. Surprising my mom with a dog we bought from the pound. She didn't like dogs, but my father and I wanted one badly...so we snuck one in.
4. Family making blueberry tarts on Friday nights while we watched Star Trek. I was in elementary school. The only time we had sweets other than holidays, was these nights and occassionally on Saturday night too and then it was ice cream.
5. Going on a family cruise as a teen with- my family and family friends. Their daughter was the same age as myself and we were very good friends. We had a great time! (not really childhood...I guess).

Lothlorien

1. Going to Kukla's in Manhattan and charming the waiter into giving me extra pickles
2. Going to the Chrylser Building when I was ten after seeing the King Tut Exhibit and going to the restaraunt where you sit in the cars.
3. the smell of plastic toys at Christmas and the smell of the toys with sparking things that they don't make anymore because of terrorists.
4. Waking up Easter morning and seeing the candy and waking up Christmas morning and seeing all the toys.
5. Winning my first Judo Tournament, my first cheerleading tournament and my first Mock-Trial Tournament.

Those are just ones that are on the top of my head, right now. I was just talking to a relative about some of these.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Oh wow.
1. First/last day of school (yeah, I was a dork...always loved the first day)
2. Christmas morning
3. Going to my Grandma & Grandpa's in Ohio each summer
4. Spending time with my other Grandma. (amazing how toast with grape
jelly and a bowl of oatmeal can taste so different when someone beside
Grandma made it)
5. Everytime I got to be around my favorite people

ctmom05

A wonderful childhood memory for me is the dog we had - a black Pug named....Pug.

We took him on camping trips and little kids would ask what happened to his nose. My Dad would say that Pug ran into a wall and it got flattened out.

At home Pug used to stand under the mantle in the living room, when he wanted to be a *star* He had a little corncob pipe that we kept there. If we gave it to him, which we did especially when we had visitors, he would hold it nicely in his mouth and walk from chair to chair as people told him he was a "good doggie" and patted him on the head. There was always a treat to follow.

:)

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
LOL I said "off the top of your head" because I know one I started thinking I would liat 50 not along 5!

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
1. My stuffed mouse. He went everywhere with me.
2. My doll house that was made for me.
3. My dad teaching me to play hot cross buns on the piano at the golf course that my grand parents ran.
4. Every summer trip (saw a lot of places every summer vacation)
5. My neighbor Larry...he was a grandfatherly type of man that lived next door and would come out and "play" with me (back when neighbors were good and trustworthy). He let me drive a car for the first time when I was 6.

Glad to not think on this too much cuz then I would over analyze it. These are the top ones that flashed into my mind.

beth

DammitJanet

Off the top of my head. Like Nomad...didnt have a very good childhood so here goes.

Getting donuts with my dad on Sunday mornings after going to get his book keeping from his second job.

Camping across America from VA to CA when I was 8.

Seeing the Hippies in Haight Ashbury and having one give me a head band because I was just so cute with my long blond hair...lol

Watching the astronauts on tv as they landed on the moon.

Swinging on my rope swing.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
1. My pink fuzzy blanket and my thumb. I still have both of them, although they're not used together anymore!
2. Making mud pies in the backyard.
3. Swimming in my grandmother's apartment pool and pretending to be a mermaid.
4. Getting to stay up to watch the Wonderful World of Disney on Sunday night.
5. Playing Red Light, Green Light, or Mother May I?, or Red Rover in my front yard until the street lights came on in the summer with the neighborhood kids.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
1. Last day of school - meant many summer camping trips.

2. Moving out into our brand new house on Christmas Eve.

3. Christmas morning after the move to our new house & watching cows in our backyard.

4. Playing manhunt almost every summer night.

5. Any alone time with mom or dad. That was prized in a family of 6 children.

meowbunny

1. Running and jumping in bed with Mom and Dad on Saturday morning and watching cartoons with them. I'd wait in my room for their door to open and then away I went. I'd literally be quivering with anticipation.

2. Waiting for Dad to come home from a trip at the train station. I loved the people watching and the anticipation.

3. Sunday night when all of us would watch Dsney, Ed Sullivan and Bonanza together. Even my brother would be home for this.

4. Coming home from school and sniffng the house to try to guess what Mom had fixed for a treat.

5. Summer weekend trips. Mom and Dad would never tell us where we were going, we'd have to guess by what we were told to bring (unless packed for us while we were doing chores on Friday). The getting there was almost as much fun as when we arrived -- lots of car games and singing and silly jokes. Dad didn't mind stopping every 20 minutes so there was no pressure on anyone. If we saw something of interest, we stopped and looked and oohed and awed our way.

Abbey

Spork Queen
1- Riding my bike 3 miles to get a nickel bag of sunflower seeds nearly every day.

2- Streaking with my 2 best friends. (Hmmm...this is all making sense to me now.)

3- Christmas morning and the anticipation of it.

4- Spending time with my Grandma.

5- Exploring my grandmother's house. It was VERY old and had lots of secret rooms.

Abbey

I could probably come up with a couple of dozen, but:

1. Visiting my grandparents, both sets. I could list a couple of dozen things just under this heading, actually. There is a certain smell that evokes my mom's parent's house and a quality of light that does the same for my dad's parent's.
2. Summer vacation car-camping trips. We did some marathon drives. Some of the highlights were stopping at Stuckey's and IHoP; my brother and I pitching the tent/breaking camp (we got really good); waking up early in a pine forest to coffee (mostly milk for my brother and me) and oatmeal with brown sugar and butter.
3. Christmas morning.
4. Going to Disney movies.
5. Helping mom clean the house for visitors, polishing the furniture and vacuuming, and getting praised by mom for it.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
1. Cristmas Specials on TV
2. going downtown with Grandma to chat with her friends
3. sleeping over at aunt Janet's house
4. Going rollerskating
5. Cutting my own paperdolls out of Sears and JC Penny's catalogues. (man! Did that used to get me into trouble! lol)

klmno

My childhood had a few very painful periods, but before the teenage years:

1) Daddy picking me up and swinging me around or hugging me or letting me sit on his lap while he drank his morning coffee, and memories of that after her died (He died unexpectedly when I was 5yo). I can remember him coming down the steps, ready to go to work, and he'd just showered and shaved so his hair was perfectly combed and he looked so handsome and he would be whistling and seemed so happy and he would smile and pick me up. To this day, the smell of Old Spice brings a smile to my face, a warm feeling in my heart, and tears to my eyes.

2) The John Deere "tractor" (it was really a large riding mower). Daddy would put it in first gear and let me drive it by myself! And, sometimes my mom would put the "bucket" on the rear in tow and let me ride in the bucket while she drove erraticly thru the yard! I would be bouncing and giggling the whole time!

3) Camping vacations with my aunt and uncle.

4) Getting a puppy.

5) Talks with my step-father, particularly the talk he had with me right after he married my mom.

Marguerite

I have to be really quick because it's late and I have to get to bed. This isn't in any particular order, except maybe time.

1) Talking about astronomy or just chatting for hours with our church minister, when I was about 8 years old. A good friend to a lonely child.

2) Reading books about ANYTHING.

3) Stargazing, watching eclipses, comets and satellites and everything I could lay my hands on, about the space race.

4) Christmas in Australia - summer, beaches, family, and best of all: Christmas Eve carol-singing on the back of a truck

5) farm stuff - climbing trees and helping with lambs and kids (as in baby goats) - bottle-feeding the poddy calves.

And a sixth - exploring the bush down the back of the property, where it hadn't been cleared - it was a wild, secret, magical place in my childhood imagination. And it was in that 'country' town that I met husband.

Marg

KTMom91

1. Going to Nana's house. She had the biggest sycamore tree in the backyard, and the grass was wonderfully soft. She would snap fresh green beans for dinner, and make biscuits from scratch. Yum!

2. Visiting Granny and Gipps...my father's parents. They owned a Ben Franklin, and my brother and I would load up on candy, and then we'd go back to their house and play card games.

3. Nana's Christmas ornaments. They're so beautiful, all colored glass and glitter, I think they're 1940's vintage.

4. Reading. Loved it, loved it, loved it. Still do.

5. Coloring books and new crayons. I still like to color, too.

trinityroyal

1) Having tea with the lady who lived in the house next door.
I would get dressed up in a party dress, little white gloves and my best hair ribbons and go over for tea. She'd make me real tea and talk to me like a proper person, instead of a little girl (I was about 4). She had been a model in New York and had wonderful collections of photographs and things.

2) Learning to knit and crochet, sitting at my Grannie's feet when she and her friends had their knitting circle.
To this day I knit upside down and backward, because I learned from watching them.

3) Going to stay with my uncle, aunt and cousins in New York every summer.

4) Going back-to-school shopping with my difficult child-father. difficult child-mother wouldn't take me, and difficult child-dad paid no attention and just opened up his wallet, so I always had lovely clothes that were to my taste.

5) Going to the EX. (The Canadian National Exhibition) A really big fair, with midway rides, lots of exhibits, and the Food Building.
Haven't been since my Grannie died when I was 12. husband is taking me tomorrow!

muttmeister

1. Getting to stay all night at my Grandma's house (she only lived a block up the street).
2. Getting our first TV; I was in 2nd grade. TV was a new thing then. I remember watching Howdy Doody, Pinky Lee, Kukla, Fran, and Ollie, Dragnet, Highway Patrol, and lots of westerns.
3. Walking the cows to the pasture with my collie dog, Lady (she probably could have done it by herself), and coming back home to find my dad making biscuits for breakfast.
4. Having all of my cousins from New York and California and Kansas City come to visit for the summer
5. Christmas: the whole season. I loved the Christmas shows on TV (especially Perry Como), the special oyster soup supper after church on Christmas Eve, unwrapping presents Christmas morning, and being home the whole week to play with all of the new toys.

Wiped Out

Staff member
1. My dad singing "You are my Sunshine" or "Everybody Loves Somebody Sometime" whenever I was mad at him. He knew I couldn't stay mad at him then!

2. Family vacations-Dad worked for the airlines so we flew for next to nothing-sometimes for nothing at all.

3. Fishing with my dad, sister, and brother.

4. Visiting my aunts, uncles and cousins on their farms-we always had a blast. I got to help plant tobacco, rode on my cousin's motorcycle, swung from the hay lofts...

5. First and last day of school. I loved school but also loved when it ended for the summer-just like now!