LoonyAlana

At little off-topic (ish) but I thought I'd respond regarding my older son's bed wetting issue:

1. It's pretty much resolved, but only within the last few months, so it's a moot point, I was more adding it to the discussion as a comparison between my two sons and just to give background and answers to specific questions.
2. The reason I thought, and still think, it's a 'mental' thing (vs. physical) is because it was nearly overcome and a 'done deal' at 5/6 years old, before his first summer visit with his father. My ex and I had a very, very nasty break-up and divorce, and it was because I got remarried that my ex even exerted his right for summer visitation. As frustrated as my ex makes me, I really don't think there was any sexual abuse of our son. I really, genuinely don't, and if I ever got a wiff of anything like that I'd be all over it like white on rice.

So... I can understand some of the different comments, and they could apply to others, but not for me and certainly not for the initial question/topic as those were all regarding my 14 year old, not my 5 year old.

LoonyAlana

We've gotten the analysis from the psychologist yesterday regarding my younger DS.

Under Axis 1:
She had enough to justify an Asperger's diagnosis, but really feels that's NOT the actual problem. We already knew of the severe ADHD, and she confirmed that 100%. She ended up with Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Mood Disorder Not Otherwise Specified* (Needs to rule out Internittent Explosive Disorder- she was unable to rule out the things needed to justify this diagnosis, but feels it should be kept in consideration and explored), *Pervasive Development Disorder Not Otherwise Specified (because it needs also to be ruled out- she was unable to confirm either way on it)

Axis 2:
No diagnosis
Axis 3:
Soy allergy, Encopresis
Axis 4:
Academic & social difficulties
Axis 5:
GAF=40 (current)

Basically, she recommends medication to regulate his moods in order for the therapies (occupational for fine motor skills and sensory issues; play therapy- again; counseling) to succeed. She recommended the book many others here recommend, The Explosive Child, as well as The Out-of-Sync Child.

She recommended the school consider his eligibility for special services as a student with an "emotional disturbance".

Basically, she found his issues to be 'behavioral' in nature vs. cognitive, in general. She does indicate sensory issues 'across the board' but does NOT see any anxiety issues. He gets fixated very easily, for any of you familiar with 'Robert's Stories' testing technique, his answers were almost like a broken record. Each and every answer was almost identical, changed only to be appropriate for each question. She does still consider him a danger to himself and others, when he's in the middle (or leading up to) a tantrum. She still recommends hospitalization because they can begin the medication process and complete the testing she could not complete.

helpangel

Wow you have done a great job getting him evaluated; it sounds like the psychologist knows their stuff too in my opinion. I would agree with most everything you posted here Occupational Therapist (OT) to work out sensory "diet". Explosive Child & Out of Sync child books would be top of reading list (my 2 favorites out of more then I could count).

Initial medication trials are safer and quicker in a hospital setting because they can monitor & adjust as needed; outpatient lots can happen in those couple weeks between visits besides would take a long time because without a crystal ball they could only add one medication at a time. adjusting dosages would take forever

The only thing I can think of that I would disagree with is the classification for school sp ed services therapist is suggesting, I would suggest OHI (other health impairment) classification rather then EI (emotional impairment) in the definition OHI specifically mentions adHd & Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD).

Angel needed a self contained EI classroom but she was there on an OHI classification. The main difference is with EI teachers tend to think everything is behavioral, OHI kids still have behavior problems but there is a medical cause contributing to those behaviors.

Sounds like got a lot of those answers were looking for... How do you feel about the evaluation that the therapist did?

Nancy

LoonyAlana

Sounds like got a lot of those answers were looking for... How do you feel about the evaluation that the therapist did?

Nancy

On one hand, I'm glad even she could see the traits that lead us to believe that he had Asperger's. Although, she's unwilling to diagnose that despite having enough evidence to support that diagnosis. ODD, we considered that in the past as well, so there was no real surprise there. Although, she couldn't account for his violence. She said ODD does not generally include the level of violence he is exhibiting. That really concerns me, especially because of his recent development over the last week or so of saying he's going to kill someone (sometimes me, sometimes himself, sometimes he's just talking about cartoon characters- and he's not malevolent when he's saying it, rather it's like a funny joke to him.)

She did test his cognitive skills, to some extent, but had some contradictory results. He scores as having a cognitive impairment, but his language skills where average to slightly above average. It's like he has the intelligence when he chooses to use it, when he chooses to learn, chooses to show how bright he is... and then when he's fixated, or shut-down, or bored, or anything other than attentive, he 'tests' more like retarded child. It essentially is behavior based, because when he 'listens' he soaks up knowledge like a dry sponge but his tantrums, his inattention, his fixation prevent him (during those times) from learning at all. She really felt in his case, that a majority of his issues are 'behavior' based and not cognitive dysfunction.

I've reached a point where I can see the advantage of finding a facility, especially in the medication department. Without taking him somewhere where they can evaluate, medicate, and 'handle' our son, our only options for medication would be via our neurologist or trying to find a pediatric psychiatrist. I'm really not happy with our current neurologist... he barely spends any time with my son, and always seems surprised (during those few moments) at how SEVERE my little one is. He's not a bad doctor, just not the one for me and my son. And psychiatrist... trying to find one nearby that is taking new patients, and is covered by my insurance... I think monkeys might actually fly out of my bottom before I'd ever find the PhD I need. However, my biggest battle is my husband. He doesn't want to see to bad side of our son. He doesn't want to allow him to be hospitalized, although I am working on that.

I'm really concerned about the medication, too. Not about him taking it, I'm not against it or anything like that. Rather, I am worried because just from Adderall that we gave him for a few months- he reached a point where he wouldn't eat breakfast anymore. He knew that he would get medication, even if he couldn't see it or taste it (the neurologist SWORE it was tasteless, but then again, I'm not very trusting of him regardless) so he refused to eat anything in the mornings. Adding it to his lunch is too late in the day, and I think if we tried to change meals, he would just stop eating another meal in the day. But, even worse, he'd complain at school that he was tired, and hungry- so school started requiring me to bring him in to the front office and feed him in front of them. They basically thought (at first) that I was just not feeding my son on purpose or something, not even trying to get him to sleep at night at a decent hour. They now know differently, and have their own copy of the report, but it's still frustrating to have things he does reflect on me. The entire front office staff knows me, and him, the Vice Principal even bought him special superhero sticker books to placate him during episodes... But- in regard to the breakfast thing, I finally got him to start eating again, but only by abandoning the Adderall.

Basically, he controls the house. It shouldn't be that way, but honestly he does. We pick our battles, and don't even try to balk at the ones we've given up on fighting. I feel like I have NO way to punish him that works in any fashion- other than maybe just taking away toys and TV and that kind of thing (and I do that, but I still don't get a child that listens.)

Sorry this is so long and rambling... I'm happy we have more information, have more suggestions and things to try... but also overwhelmed and downtrodden about the future.

helpangel

This is not rambling at all and any shorter it would be missing a lot of valuable info you included. I compare getting psychiatric medications from a neurologist to going into Taco Bell and ordering an eggroll; yes they have stuff that will satisfy hunger but if your really wanting an eggroll they can't help you as they don't have beansprouts anywhere in there. OK with kid allergic to soybeans guess you wouldn't want an eggroll but you get the idea. Most neurologists medication of choice is anti-seizure medications, luckily if that is route they go most of them work as mood stabilizers so in your son's case this could help (satisfy the hunger)

The reaction he had to Adderall it is understandable that you don't want to try that again. Adderall, Ritalin & Concerta that is a very common side effect, for a kid like my son we were hoping for it (severely overweight).

A couple of Angel's psychiatric hospital stays (age 8-12) they made me really angry. Kid went into psychosis beat up someone so the psychiatric hospital would take her off her mood stabilizer and add stimulants. Literally screamed at them a few times that when my kid is bouncing off the walls biting people giving her SPEED is NOT the correct response.

I would hope if going medication route again they work more on stabilizing the child rather then treating symptoms. Not sure what your son weighs but a few of those type medications often increase appetite. With Angel weight levels out with stability, during the past 10 years she has gone back and forth (too skinny/too pudgy) several times. She actually lost weight on Seroquel when many others blame it for making their kid too heavy.

What you said about your son running the house and choosing your battles made me chuckle... you really need to read Explosive child by Ross Greene, without realizing it you are already implementing his basket A & C. You really need to read it so you can learn how to use basket B properly and get someone with a PhD backing you up on use of basket A&C. It makes sense to avoid a kids triggers and avoid rages when possible.

Not sure what to recommend with your husband, this is where I had the advantage (no competition for parenting) if you sat him down and made him read all your posts and our responses I'm sure he would start getting it (that right now this is worse then it has to be) but then you would lose your private haven to vent. Maybe print your threads out and use a marker to edit out all site info and your sign on name... that way he can't "spy" on you here in the future.

Your son has several things going good for him first off is his age (he's not 16yo!) you have lots of time to fix this, allergy & sensitivity issues identified that when dealt with will improve behaviors, a good therapist and last but not least a really really GREAT MOM - I've never met you but I'm impressed and totally appreciate everything you have done for your son. Good job!

Nancy

LoonyAlana

The hospitalization that was suggested was mainly for stabilization, ease of prescribing medication... it was always intended to be a 'temporary' thing, with maybe continued 'outpatient' type visits or something... it's all still nebulous and not tangible since I'm still trying to get hubby and myself to agree, and insurance to agree (and pay), and find a place that would even treat a 5 year old. Hubby is very much on board for the second opinion, but the hospital route could possibly evaluate and test and what-not and maybe be that second opinion. I'm moving forward trying to get insurance (and my employee assistance program) to find us a neuropsychologist person... what was that called again? I asked the psychologist about that, and she downplayed the validity of going that route. She tried to push just a plain 'ole pediatric psychiatrist (or neurologist).

I can totally understand what helpangel was saying about the neurologist- Taco Bell. That's too funny. Ans MidwestMom, I totally get the 'opinion' thing, too. Heck, I practiced self-mutilation as a teen, got caught, and still never got officially diagnosed with depressed and offered medication for it until I was nearly 30 (when I was getting divorced and they thought I had a brain tumor- fun times!) But I digress... basically, I agree that this was one psychologist's opinion. Another one might have a different opinion, and that should be explored just to make sure.

Oh, and helpangel, my youngest son is very 'fit' for a child his age. Average height and weight, doesn't look 'pudgy' at all, but doesn't look 'hungry' all the time. Although he is a boy, and eats alot... well, alot of the foods he is willing to eat. Almost every single day at school his lunch MUST be a bologna (pork and chicken Bar S brand or he won't eat it) and cheese sandwich on white bread with a fruit roll-up and a YooHoo or chocolate milk, oh, and Lays potato chips. He's our little carnivore.

DDD

I've just quickly scanned your thread this morning so I may be missing something....not unusual, lol. on the other hand regarding the stimulant medication in the morning I have years and years of experience (sad to say) and I found the best method was to take the pill to the bed B/4 wakeup time and have difficult child drink something he liked to wash the pill down and then roll over to sleep before time to get up. Juice worked for one and chocolate milk for another...just a small glass so they did not really wake up. Most everyone is a little thirsty in the morning and it was a no brainer. Fifteen minutes later when they got up for the day they ate breakfast as the appetite was not dulled by the medication
yet. At our house that made a HUGE improvement. Hugs DDD

PS: We found differences in Ritalin, Adderal, Concerta & Vyvance.
Some worked better or longer than others. It took alot of time to weed through the choices.

LoonyAlana

I guess I wasn't making things clear. It wasn't the 'side effects' of suppression of appetite (we were warned about that with my older son, too, taking Concerta.) It's that my youngest knows that we put medicine in his food, decided that (because of taste, or just to be contradictory to what we wanted for him) he would no longer eat breakfast as long as we were going to drug it. I tried sugar, I tried soda, spoonfuls of cake icing, yogurt with sprinkles... I tried any and every food he liked in this world to get him to take the medication. It wasn't lack of hunger, because he would happily complain to the school how hungry he was, making it look like I was some lazy or evil mother not even attempting to feed her child before school. And the medicine is bright orange little tiny spheres, so it's hard to completely hide it. We gave up, because the only way to get him to eat again, and get the school off our back about him being hungry in the mornings, was to stop trying to force the Adderall into him. And in regard to mornings, he's difficult to get to sleep at night, and to wake up in the morning, usually I can't fully get him to wake up until we're arriving at school. He doesn't even like to wake up enough for me to easily dress him, and there is NO way currently I can get him to eat or drink anything when he's half asleep. He's too picky about his foods and drinks, and actually prefers NOT to have any drinks in the morning (with the exception of milk in his bowl of cereal). I love him, but he's one of the most persnickity, stubborn people I've ever met.

BusynMember

Alana, you and me both. I have had so many diagnosis. that were wrong. First it was manic depression, although I'd never had a full blown manic episode with the explanation (in their minds) that my little hypomanic episodes would lead to full blown mania. Never happened. I've been told by one psychologist that I had one thing and by another that the doctor was nuts and I didn't have it. Diagnosing is very tricky. In my years of experience in the US mental health system, for the moment (and this could change) I feel that neuropsychs do the best type of testing and the most intensive and the least subjective of all. Doest mean they are always right, but they tend to look at the child's behavior rather than just listening to what mom (who also presents biased info) says.

My son was not diagnosed with autistic spectrum until age 11 and he clearly was on the spectrum. Nobody disputes it now, but w hy did it take 11 years and maybe five different experts? Why did a psychiatrist (the MD dude) insist he had bipolar? He insisted on it even after Sonic was off all medication and not having highs and lows. I am verrrrrrrrrrrry leery of Early Onset Bipolar as a valid diagnosis. I wonder how many of those young kids who were put on heavy duty drugs, such as mood stabilizers and antipsychotics, like my own son, actually ever developed the highs and lows of bipolar disorder. One can have a mood disorder a nd not be bipolar and not need the amount of medications given to people who actually get manic. What is mania in a child? How does anyone know? I've read up on the history of the diagnosis after my son had that diagnosis. and I fail to see that there is any actual proof that wild, hyper kids are like adult bipolars only younger. I wonder how many of them are proven to have bipolar when they grow up.

I am sorry you have to go through all of this. Mental health is not yet an exact science. I get frightened at how medicated some of our kids are. And it's downright scary to me that almost anyone can come in and ask for Ritalin and get it. It IS abused, but all I heard when Sonic was young is that it's not abused if you really are hyperactive. How do they know this??? All stimulants are very much abused...

I hope you can find some answers and get help.

LoonyAlana

For anyone that is 'following my story'... here is an update:

Had to visit his pediatrician for a sick visit on this last Monday. Offered a 'reward' for 'good choices" and talked about the doctor before we went. He was even keen on seeing the doctor because of an 'issue' he was having. Everything was going well, he even acquiesced to our request to get his weight (usually even that is a fight)... then the doctor took out the stethoscope to listen to his heart. It took me and another adult, male nurse to hold a screaming, kicking, spitting child down just so the doctor could listen to his heart. She let me know at the end of the appointment, that if he continues this way, she will no longer be able (or willing) to treat him. That was just two days ago. Today, Wednesday, he got kicked out of his daycare. I would say I'm at my wit's end... but that happened a long time ago. I'm teetering on the edge. Not quite sure what will happen when I go over. I might need my own stay in a 'facility'... I know this is horrible, but if CPS showed up to my door tonight, I'd be begging them to take him. I can't control him, I can't get him to pay attention, I'm embarrassed to take him into public, to the doctor, to anywhere. I'm fighting desires to fall back into bad habits I haven't done in almost 20 years. I'm in a bad, bad place right now. I'm downtrodden, and don't foresee any hope at this moment in time.

BusynMember

Do you have your own therapist? Anyone to talk to? Actually, a lot of our kids acted like your child is acting. It may seem really rare, but it's not. I am wondering if you live in the US? If so, have you contacted your school district to have him put into Early Education for "at risk" children? There are also pediatricians who take special needs children and they are used to this type of behavior. He probably will not do well in any daycare that does not have special help for him.

Is he on any medication? Is it helping? Is he getting any sort of state or public school free help or interventions? He is entitled to them. Have you considered getting a second opinion about his issues? It does not seem that this team of professionals is helping him or even giving you advice on what to do regarding school and special services.

LoonyAlana

I am trying to get into see a therapist, but we are tight on money. My EAP (employee assistance program) does allow me to see a therapist 3 times for free, and I just got a list of covered ones in my area this morning. I've suffered from depression in the past, before I even had kids at all, and medication has worked wonders for me in the past. I'm trying to get another prescription for me, to help me out. Since I'm the only parent that really takes him to doctors and what-not, I have to take a time-out for myself or he's totally up a creek.

I'm glad to no I'm not alone... it does make me feel better. Yes, I live in the US, and a social worker from my son's school district came with me to the 'results' appointment with the psychologist. She had recommended the school look into classifying him as 'Emotionally Disturbed' ... or something to that effect. He's totally flunking Kindergarten...

The daycare, well, it's the same one he's been in since 3 months old. They have changed management over the years, we've gone through like 3 different 'owners' of the daycare. But today, apparently, he ran (again) out of the school and toward a busy street, like the teacher/attendant had to chase him down the street... that must have been the straw that broke the camel's back. We can't afford any 'special' after school programs, and all the ones I've found so far anyway are NOT willing to put up with my little challenge.

I've actually been considering chancing pediatricians anyway. There is one in the same office as our current doctor that my older son sees. She's comfortable prescribing medications for ADHD/ADD issues and she has been much more patient and willing to put up with my youngest (she's seen the youngest at least once when our regular doctor was unavailable for a sick visit.)

Last year, he took Adderall for a few months, but decided he didn't want to and stopped eating breakfast in order to NOT have to take medicine. So for now, he's not medicated. The earliest I could get him in to see a pediatric psychiatrist is a month away. We're hoping that he can a) give a second opinion on everything and b) medicate him to chill him out and not allow him to be so aggressive. But, that's a month out still.

I've been trying to work with school, with the school counselor, with the social worker while also trying to call insurance, set up appointments, getting chewed out by our pediatrician for not having him already 'signed up' in in occupational and play therapy even though it's only been a week since we got our 'official' results and recommendations. It's like we take a step forward, then get knocked down a mile-long stair while people are berating us and throwing rocks at us. Sorry- overly dramatic metaphor or whatever- but I am admittedly overly dramatic (theater degree, go figure.) I don't feel like I have any support, whatsoever, with this forum being the only exception. I have no local friends or family that live close enough to help, even if they were inclined to do so. The school is more helpful than his last school, but fat lot of good that does me, or him. He's still essentially a 'problem' child for the school and I have no idea how to change that other than continuing to try and take him to various doctors, various tests... half the things school could do, they can't, because despite having 'enough evidence to support an Asperger's diagnosis' the psychologist didn't think that was the problem and wouldn't diagnose it. So, anything the school could do using that basis, is not a possibility.

I'm just between a rock and a hard place, and it seems like (locally) nobody is in my son's corner except me and my husband.

LoonyAlana

Super fun times... apparently now someone called CPS on us for "Medical Neglect". Apparently, all the visits to his pediatrician, the neurologist, the psychologist, the play therapist, and an appointment set up for the end of February (the earliest I could get) with a pediatric psychiatrist is worth nothing, and evidence of neglect. Well, I'm being sardonic, even the CPS official quickly realized that this 'is a waste of time' because we obviously ARE NOT neglecting him... but seriously? Just two nights ago, for an hour I was punched, kicked, scratched, bitten, had various items in the house destroyed, and was told repeatedly "I am going to kill you" by my 5 year old because I would not give him the TV remote. I didn't hit him, I calmly spoke to him, restrained him gently with 'hug jail' to attempt to keep him from hurting himself or me... But I'm accused as being not just a bad parent, but neglecting my son?

I feel like the world is out to get me because of my son, that everything he does just makes people think I am some monster. He's getting worse on a daily basis, and I've been trying to convince my husband that we NEED to hospitalize him at this point. If I hadn't been so worried about how mad my husband would have been, I would have called 911 and asked for mental health officers the other evening. Despite only being 5, my son scared me. He truly did, but my husband is STILL against taking him to a mental health facility.

I'm downtrodden, and just sinking further into the pit of despair.

helpangel

I'm so sorry that the system that is suppose to be helping you seems to just be putting more pressure on you. I use to feel like I was floating on a raft and people kept coming by in their boats and instead of helping were throwing darts at my raft.

In regards to the psychiatrist appointment scheduled for the end of February many years ago one call from a CPS worker jumped me to the top of the cancellation call list and I got my kid in about 2 months sooner when someone cancelled the following week.

Having cps involved is a real PITA but when they are involved already I have put them to work helping me deal with this stuff, and they have been quite useful. Doubt you are ready to have cps order your husband to consent to hospital evaluation but might be able to get them to put the squeeze on psychiatrist's office to get you in sooner.

As far as the school goes an emotional impaired classroom and teachers might be the best placement until all the evaluations are in but I would insist it's a temporary placement and do it on an OHI (other health impairment) classification rather then EI. As an advocate I would fight tooth & nail anyone tried to hang an EI label on a 5yo child that there is any chance has anything on the autism spectrum or something that can be fixed with medications. To take medications kids have to be able to swallow pills, cutting/ mixing in food often not an option. 5yo this is a skill that needs to be taught, my youngest learned by swallowing whole candies and working up to m&m size. peas or beans will work if candy not allowed

Services are often similar (Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) & EI) but there are some things that are common practice with EI kids that really set back the Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) ones. If he does have Asperger's your gonna want him in a class with autism teachers even if he is the only kid in class who speaks. The EI self contained class with OHI classification in public school helped Angel but the #1 worst mistake I made was allowing her to go into an EI school that was wrong for her. Don't make my mistake and allow a district to railroad you into a placement that is wrong for your child.

try to take time to be good to yourself, breath and know this too shall pass

Nancy

LoonyAlana

Well... my son (the 5 year old) got suspended from school for several days for headbutting the assistant principal. Though at first, CPS implied that the investigation is a waste of time, now they are implying that we might be found guilty of negligence (despite ALL the things we are doing, appointments we have scheduled) unless we place our son in a mental hospital. At this point, honestly, I'm ready to do so. He has wonderful days that make me doubt how 'bad' it gets, and then it gets bad again and I wonder how I could ever NOT think that it's 'that bad'. I'm probably not making sense anymore...

Like over the weekend, he was relatively well behaved, earned a special reward... I was even listening to The Explosive Child (I got it on audio)... and then just last night he wasn't allowed to watch what he wanted on the TV as punishment for getting suspended. He was actively trying to push my face into a pillow (trying to smother me) while saying, "You can't breathe, how do you like that?" I could breathe just fine, he wasn't actually cutting air off from me like he thought. But I don't know how to 'open the eyes' of my husband, and make him see that at least when I'm home with the boys (and he's at work) it often is open season for our 5 year old to try to hurt me. Well, it's not like he's premeditating it, I don't mean to make it sound like that. He's just so aggressive, and his first response to limit setting is to explode, and to hurt me and anything around him. I don't want CPS to find us guilty, especially since I've been taking him for evaluations and all that kind of stuff. I've been trying, we have appointments with a psychiatrist (it's only 15 days away at this point)... basically, I've reached a point where I DO think he, at least temporarily, needs to be put into a facility just to try and get medications rolling and even him out. But I think it's a gross misjustice for CPS to label me as a neglectful parent (not that they have yet) when I've been trying. The only way insurance will even cover an in-patient stay is if I bring him to a facility in the middle of an episode. But, during an episode I'm trying to keep him from hurting anyone, and I can't just drive him in the middle of a tantrum, no matter how close the facility is. It's like I'm stuck in this catch-22, damned for anything and everything I do.

@helpangel... that's an appropriate analogy with the raft. I've felt like we take one step forward, then get pushed a mile back while being pelted with rocks and ridiculed. I feel like everything is working against me. The pediatrician threatened to drop us, and we think she was the one to sic CPS on us. All because I wanted to work with my insurance for referrals rather than her office.

cdngrl

I think that, given that hospitalization has been recommended and it will help with getting him stabilized on medication, it would be appropriate to call 911 for ambulance transport to get him to the hospital in the middle of an episode. I know that seems like an extreme thing to do, but it means he can get safely to the hospital and you can get treatment started.

helpangel

Sorry to not get back here for a couple days threw my back out on Thursday been pretty much laid up in bed since.

I would call the insurance company and find out if they will cover an ambulance? If not absolutely DO NOT try to transport a raging child by yourself- have husband, a neighbor or if nothing else your other kid sit in the back with him while you drive.

I was a single mom with no relief crew or help and I've had Angel attack me while driving several times. Once we arrived at the crisis center to discover her nude in the backseat, yep clothes went out the window - I always traveled with a spare set so dressed her in the parking lot. A week later showed up with a body pillow case with head slit over her, (hands trapped inside) worked great but totally illegal. Was lucky it was same guy at crisis center (parking lot monitor) but all the lakes around here it looked real bad for me if would have gotten pulled over. Know what I mean?

I hope with the added pressure of the suspension for assaulting the principal (again TG he isn't 16yo!) and cps urging; your husband will go along with an inpatient evaluation. My insurance worked similar I had to get her in front of the professionals while still raging for them to authorize an admission.

Nancy

Sabine

I guess I'm a little confused as to why dad's opinion matters by this point. Yes, it is ideal that he would be on board, but when CPS flat out says that your child HAS to go to a hospital, there are no more choices to be made.

As for how to get him there when raging? He seems to consistently rage when limits are set.

Take him to the hospital while he's in a good mood (take him to the gift shop and/or cafeteria) as a little outing. Set limits while there. For example he wants to buy candy or a toy at the gift shop.. tell him not that one, try and steer him to the "right" one that you want to buy. (If he complies and gets the one you want, be sure to get it for him.. so be prepared to make the purchase). I'm fairly certain that he won't comply, particularly if the "right one" is something healthy or boring... and when he melts down, he's already at the hospital! If it doesn't succeed the first time, try, try again.

Other than solving the transport problem, having him already going to the hospital makes him familiar with the sights, smells and sounds of the building, and so when he's admitted it isn't as scary for him.

LoonyAlana

Update, in case anyone is interested:

He's been diagnosed by his pediatric psychiatrist as high functioning autistic (on the spectrum), ODD, severe ADHD, and sensory issues. Because of the autism, that pretty much negates the possibility of many medications. He's taking a blood pressure pill at night just to help force him to pass out, which even then, doesn't always work (although it is better compared to before.) He's 'officially' been admitted into the special education program in our school district... for ADHD, and even then, it was like the last two days of school that it was finally official. Took almost 6 months just to get him into special education, and now they still don't know which school in our district he will attend. He refuses to poop in the toliet, still has daily tantrums, still is incredibly picky to the point of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) about everything from clothing to TV to food, has zero friends, has driven away 99% of my friends, and now is starting to drive a wedge between my husband and I. The CPS case was dropped as we were found not to be negligent, so the 'hospitalization' thing became mostly a non-issue... until I found out that if I do ever call 911 and ask for a mental health officer they will likely take him to a place such as that for at least a day or two. My husband is still VERY AGAINST hospitalization and calling 911, but just the other night (for example) my 6 year old had some broken plastic silverwear and was trying to weild it like a shiv and nearly stabbed me and himself just because he didn't want me to clean up his poopy butt. Basically, I'm a depressed mess that is almost wishing for a heart attack or aneurysm. I've tried finding support groups, but apparently all the local support groups are for 'stay-at-home' parents or something, because it's always during the week in the middle of the day about 20 miles away. Not to mention there are many of the 'support' events where children are NOT invited. No matter how many times a doctor tells us to use 'respite care' - that still doesn't pay for it, doesn't find someone willing to watch him and put up with being kicked, spit on, punched, scratched, or even possibly stabbed. Even if we could somehow arrange for respite care, because of DS's issues, we've had to arrange our schedules where he works nights, I work days. So, unless I'm willing to stay up until 1-2am (and then turn around and have to get up at 6am), I only get to talk to my husband on the phone or via text 5 days out of the week.

I'm just really downtrodden lately. I used to have a bucket overflowing with hope for the future, for getting help, figuring out what's wrong... my bucket is dry. Maybe it's been replaced by poop instead.