504 meeting today with new school

missmommy

so I attended this meeting for my son who if you recall was expelled from his private school for kids with ADHD and now attending our local public school.

He has been here one month.

Teacher complaints:
1. He walks out of class and goes to bathroom. Stays there a long time. Doesn't come back. Is unaccounted for. They can't tolerate it. Temporary solution is he is supposed to ask to go to nurse if he needs a long bathroom break. He says it's stomach pain. I think more likely anxiety.
2. He forgets materials, doesnt get started quickly on the work, basically just doesn't do anything. Doesn't do homework. Draws during class.
3. They say he's very smart, understands the material, does well except for turning in assignments.

He has diagnosis ADHD and Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) on vyvanse and Zoloft. No IEP yet. Waiting list for neuropsychology evaluation.

I can tell the teachers are already on the "punish him and he'll succeed!" track.

HMBgal

Oh goodness. Yeah, I got me one of those boys (grandson) too. He finally got a 1:1 and she's made such a difference. The 504 wasn't enough support and punishment never works with these kids, not in my experience at least. These kids don't learn by punishing. Some do, but these kids don't--it makes it worse. When we finally got a teacher that cared enough to learn how to employ techniques that support these types of kids, it was so much better. It can be done, even in a general education class. We did finally go the full IEP route after testing three times and they said he didn't need an IEP, but by 4th grade, it was clear he did. He's Other Health Impaired and Emotional Disturbance. He's still struggling, but with what his new school has put in place (taking breaks, standing up to do some of his work in a quiet place, chunking the work assignments, lightening the homework load, resource for math, and a really sweet 1:1 aide), he's doing pretty good. I hope this new school works for your boy. It's hard.

missmommy

I live in SC. I don't have an advocate yet. I've been made aware of how to obtain one. I want to get his diagnosis complete before I start that process.

Coffee Lover

This is similar to things I heard for years about our 11 year son. He was finally expelled from his school last fall, but we got him into a new school this spring. I had to fight but we did finally get the IEP evaluation and got a 1-on-1 aid for him, to help him learn self-regulation, time management, etc.

They kept punishing him and I finally got through to them that he's not choosing this. He literally CANNOT do it how you want. Would you suspend a kid who failed every math test? No. Because clearly they CANNOT do it and need more help! My kid needs more help with this!

I hope you get some answers and can get an IEP in place. 504s are nice but just not rigid enough for some kids.

jal

I'm not on much anymore but have been through this with my son who is now 14. Just an FYI that school districts will push for the 504 because they do not have to legally follow what is written in a 504 plan. With an IEP in place you have legal protection to hold the school to what has been placed in the plan. A 504 does not give you a legal leg to stand on if they ignore the plan. You do not need to have a diagnosis in place to get an IEP. An IEP is set in motion if the students behavior affects their learning and/or the learning of those around them. Good luck!

Coffee Lover

I'm not on much anymore but have been through this with my son who is now 14. Just an FYI that school districts will push for the 504 because they do not have to legally follow what is written in a 504 plan. With an IEP in place you have legal protection to hold the school to what has been placed in the plan. A 504 does not give you a legal leg to stand on if they ignore the plan. You do not need to have a diagnosis in place to get an IEP. An IEP is set in motion if the students behavior affects their learning and/or the learning of those around them. Good luck!

I found out, the hard way, that a school CANNOT refuse your request in writing to evaluate your child for an IEP either. I reached out to a disability advocacy center in my town and had an advocate with me at meetings too and the district's lawyer - we caught the administration at the old school breaking a lot of rules/laws. I think some schools just figure you don't know so they aren't offering to do more work. I pushed for the IEP and I'm so glad I did!!!! When my son had an issue last week, we had to address it (duh!) but they couldn't come down as hard as they used to (we're at a new school now so I don't think they would either) since the IEP wasn't followed at that moment. It holds them accountable, just as they hold kids/parents accountable.

Copabanana

It holds them accountable, just as they hold kids/parents accountable
This is why they try to get out of them pushing instead for 504. A 504 still holds the child responsible for behaviors associated with their disabling condition. The IEP, no. An IEP is binding legally. The protections for now are federally enforced but are in process of being overturned.

Coffee Lover

This is why they try to get out of them pushing instead for 504. A 504 still holds the child responsible for behaviors associated with their disabling condition. The IEP, no. An IEP is binding legally. The protections for now are federally enforced but are in process of being overturned.

Don't get me started on the lovely secretary of education. But yes, that's why I pushed to get onto the IEP. I wish I'd known more sooner - I could have gotten him help.
But I'd type up a letter, request in writing to the school for an IEP evaluation (they'll do it - you don't have to pay) and then if they refuse or you get no where, go to the administration. That's when I finally got the help we needed and then moved to a different school building in our district. Night and day difference.

UpandDown

I have found the Wrightslaw website to be extremely helpful. They offer tons of information and even have workshops posted where you can learn more.

BusynMember

Some districts follow the law better than others. There is a difference in how upper class, middle class and lower class students are treated. Yes, the law is gor all but if you have no money to fight your caseits different. Keep getting assistance from advocates.