504 plan meeting for easy child/difficult child next week

B

butterflydreams

I met this morning with my daughter's teachers and her school counselor because she has been missing school and I wanted them to be aware that I am working on things with her and that I am aware of what is going on. She is still having anxiety issues and her moods are all over the place. She isn't sleeping and when she does it isn't a restful sleep. Anyway, one of the teachers asked about home services for her. My daughter's counselor thought that would a great idea to check into. She called and told me that they need to schedule a 504 plan meeting and get a 504 plan in place in order to do this.

We will have a 504 plan meeting on 10/22. I was wondering what do I need to know before I go to this meeting? What should I anticipate? Anything else I need to know?

Thanks,

Christy

Sheila

It sounds like they want to home bound her.

That may be just what she needs to get her anxiety in check, then slowly transition her back to full-time.

Do some research on home bound.

What you DO NOT want to do is let them get out of educating difficult child. Don't let her get behind. 1 - 2 hours of instruction per week just won't get it.

B

butterflydreams

Thank you Sheila.

Smallworld. Just like Sheila said, I think that they are referring to homebound services.

I will update more about her and difficult child on the General board.

Christy

smallworld

Christy, at least in our SD, I don't think you need a 504 or IEP to obtain homebound services. What you do need is a statement from a medical doctor (psychiatrist in your case) about why homebound is necessary.

I'd recommend requesting an evaluation for an IEP instead of a 504 plan. The IEP will afford you greater protection under the law.