68%

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
That's how much of this year Wee difficult child has been present at school.

Handy for the school website to calc that for me.

slsh

member since 1999
Well, now... aren't they just ever so helpful. ;) Bet that stat isn't going to stay up on the district website for too long.

Seriously? That in and of itself is evidence that the school is failing blatantly to provide FAPE in LRE, in my humble opinion. Was any of that missed time due to illness? Or was it all due to half-days, early pickups, suspensions, and absent staff?

How on earth do they expect any child to learn when he's not allowed in the building almost a third of the school year?

Sorry, I know I'm preaching to the choir. ;) It just makes my blood boil, especially because he's so young.

Have you had any luck finding an advocate?

Also, have you checked out your state's dept of ed website? I seem to recall you're in a state bordering mine - if I was right on the state, their website is actually quite decent and you might be able to find some resources on there to help.

Hang in there!!! You know we're rooting for you!

SRL

Well, now... aren't they just ever so helpful. ;) Bet that stat isn't going to stay up on the district website for too long.

Seriously? That in and of itself is evidence that the school is failing blatantly to provide FAPE in LRE, in my humble opinion. Was any of that missed time due to illness? Or was it all due to half-days, early pickups, suspensions, and absent staff?

How on earth do they expect any child to learn when he's not allowed in the building almost a third of the school year?

They'll probably make a big deal of the days you've chosen to keep him home vs. the days they've sent him home, so be prepared wiht that information. I wouldn't be volunteering it, though. ;)

Also, have you checked out your state's dept of ed website? I seem to recall you're in a state bordering mine - if I was right on the state, their website is actually quite decent and you might be able to find some resources on there to help.

If it's the state I was thinking I was digging through their school law to see how many hours they require for a legal school day and the statute I saw--if correct--said 3 hours, and I didn't see any specifications. It's specified as five instructional hours in my state (which means beyond recess and lunch). Special Education law states sped students have a right to an education comparable to students without disabilities, but still it's a little disconcerting to think that's all that could be required by a state.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I'm in MO.

I went back thru the list quickly, and I think he was out 1 full day sick and I've picked him up twice that he wasn't feeling well.

I outright pulled him out one day to go out of town.

I pulled him out the third day of school because of the para situation (I was NOT going to allow him to be put with a para that belittled him - and I told them such)

Two days were traveling to OK for dyslexia testing.

The rest were either their shortened schedule, calling me to pick him up because they were afraid he was going to lose it or he lost it, the remainder of a day that he did something to earn a suspension, the actual suspension, or the SpEd teacher not being there and no viable back-up plan.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Oh, and they sent him home early (between 1-2 1/2 hours early) EVERY DAY til January 8, when they allowed him to start full days.

SRL

Back, as in back home, or back at school?

Shari, it might be worth it to calculate the percentage of total school hours he's missed/attended, as well as the percentage of the instructional hours he's missed/attended. For the instructional hours, subtract off recess and lunch unless he has measurable goals written into that part of the day in his IEP.

I'm all for using data to one's advantage. :peaceful:

TerryJ2

So, what's the point of their calculating it when it doesn't really mean anything?
(I guess that's a rhetorical question, isn't it? ;) )