75% sure of what happened....

Marguerite

Trust me, Linda - the bodies on an all-nude beach are generally NOT centrefold material. But neither are they totally gross-out either. The interesting thing is they tend to be more asexual than anything else. It's actually clothing and where we put it, that draws attention. I would never have believed this myself if I hadn't seen it - first, back in my uni student days when topless bathing first came to Sydney, on a very few segregated beaches (from most other beaches). Some friends and I were driving round looking for a beach to got for a walk on, and found a parking space near a beach I'd never been to. I wasn't wearing my glasses at the time - we'd just come from another beach and my specs were still in my beach bag. We all piled out and walked to the shore. I couldn't help wondering why there were so many males and so few women on the beach... of course, without my glasses I see by colour, and was using the swimsuits as a guide as to gender of sunbather. I dug out my glasses and realised - a lot of the 'males' were topless females, without any visible means of support and therefore looking fairly flat, especially lying on their backs.

Nude beach - some years later, with husband. There was a camaraderie there with other couples, we'd chat about life, etc. You could easily spot the novice - they would be glancing round furtively and sporting the giveaway 'white tail' (we used to call them the white-tailed rock spiders - we have an Aussie spider called the white-tail, plus 'rock spider' has other, somewhat nasty connotations). But the people on the beach - we'd chat, no thoughts for what we were or were not wearing. Sometimes the clouds would roll in or the water would get choppy and full of seaweed, so we'd all pack up and leave at the same time. It was a long walk back through the bush but we'd walk as a group under those circumstances, still chatting. But back on the main beach - I noticed the men in the group suddenly ogling the bikini-clad women on the beach. I mean, they'd been sitting chatting with naked women with no thought of "Is she cute?" and now certain bits were covered up, all these men could think about was what was under the cloth.

When you think about it, it makes sense. Clothing says a great deal about the wearer. It also often lies (as in uplift bras; support undergarments). Removing clothing is freeing in many more ways than just loosening uncomfortably tight bits.

Mind you, husband & I haven't been back to that tiny little beach since we had kids. By the time I was thinking I'd like to give it another go, I was too ill to walk that far.

But hey, we can dream... and there ARE a lot more other beaches now, all round Australia. I was never 'into' it as much as many are; for me, it was just a way to avoid tan lines. But it IS much easier to go into the water for a swim, when you don't have wet fabric next to your skin.

A line from a song written by Judy Small, satirising the wowser approach:

There's topless bathing down at Bondi,
Nakedness at Lady Jane :beach:
All perverts on the rampage on the shores of Botany Bay.
Moral outrage and indignation
Sweep across this blessed nation
If the Lord had meant us to bathe like that
We would have been born that way!

(from "Festival of Light Song" by Judy Small)

The chorus of which begins "so come on in and close your mind, you can leave it at the door behind you..."

Enjoy!

Marg