A.A. Milne Quotes

tiredmommy

A bear, however hard he tries,
grows tubby without exercise.

It is hard to be brave, when you're only a Very Small Animal.

You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.

Sometimes, if you stand on the bottom rail of a bridge and lean over to watch the river slipping slowly away beneath you, you will suddenly know everything there is to be known.

They're funny things, Accidents. You never have them till you're having them.

It's so much more friendly with two.
- All from Alan Alexander Milne, 1882 - 1956

Fran

Former desparate mom
I'll have to send this to difficult child. Thanks.

You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.

ScentofCedar

TM, I would like to hear more quotes from this person. I especially liked the ones about the small animal, and the river.

So simple and without pretense ~ I recognize the name, but am not familiar with his work.

I will have to do some checking.

I really liked this, TM! :laugh:

Barbara

Marguerite

"James James Morrison Morrison Weatherby George Dupree
Took great care of his mother, although he was only three.
James James said to his mother, 'Mother,' he said, said he -
'You must never go down to the end of town if you don't go down with me!"

First verse of a lovely little poem which always reminds me of difficult children. And how many times have our kids complained when we don't take them shopping with us?

Another poem to track down is "Whatever's the matter with Mary Jane?"

Marg

On_Call

This is my favorite one . . .

They're funny things, Accidents. You never have them till you're having them.

How true. How true.

Sometimes, if you stand on the bottom rail of a bridge and lean over to watch the river slipping slowly away beneath you, you will suddenly know everything there is to be known.

The psychiatrist hospital where difficult child has been has a whole hallway in the children's ward devoted to beautiful, large prints by A.A. Milne - there is one of Pooh and Christopher Robin leaning over a bridge . . . I am sure that particular quote accompanied that painting!