A bit of a moral dilema ...

DammitJanet

A similar thing happened to me but I have no idea if the things were stolen or not. I paid for my water bill by money order. I put it in the drop box that night. It had all my information on it including name and account number. Full address. The following week my water was turned off. I went in and asked why. They told me that I had failed to pay my water bill. I pulled out my copy of my money order with the date it was bought. This was the kind that was a carbon copy so it showed everything. Supposedly they looked everywhere in the building to see if it "fell out of the bin that sits under the drop box" but they couldnt find it. They said they would check other people's accounts to see if my amount of money was debited to anyone's account. Supposedly it wasnt but I dont think they ever did. I had to pay the late fee, the reconnect fee plus the original water bill just to get my water turned on. I tried to put a trace on my money order but to do so it would cost me $25 and I asked the water dept if they would pay me back for that if they found out someone in their dept had my money order because I knew good and well I had put it in their drop box. They refused because they said they knew I hadnt put it in there. They money order was only for $15.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Shari... Just before I read your post... My mp3 started playing Rascal Flatts' "Mayberry"... :rofl:

we have had plenty of random horses come meandering into the yard....usually, you know who they belong to and give them a call and say "Hey, Trigger's here. Hayed and watered in the lot." If ya don't know who they are? You stick them in the lot, anyway... An occassional cow. Lots of dogs.

Don't break down on the road, either. Your cell phone will explode with incoming calls. Same with getting pulled over.

My older truck is a very distinct color. I let the boys take it to Homecoming the first year they went. I got reports for weeks afterwards asking why I was here or there at this time or that...

Its also pretty usual to go home and your trailer is gone. No reason for alarm, unless no one calls you by dark. Usually there's a voicemail or note.

we once had a man ride by on a very large blonde mule. The whole town was in a buzz cause no one knew the man OR the mule.... lol

And in our case, the lady who takes the utility bills in town would know...and that might be the deciding factor for me!

donna723

AN UPDATE: So it's been two weeks since I wrote the check for my water bill and the check still hasn't been cashed so the money is still in my account. I just got this months bill and they have added that amount on as a "previous balance". I checked with the bank and since this has affected virtually every family and business in town, they are allowing everyone to put a "stop payment" on the stolen checks at no charge so even if they show up some day it will be OK. Gotta love a small town!