A book for PE moms

Kathy813

Staff member
I came across this book and thought it looked like something to share. It's about the so-called empty nest syndrome and the myth that moms fall apart when the last child leaves home.

Here is one of the things that the author says about the post motherhood years:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The feeling is remarkably similar to breaking from our own parents, only now it’s the mirror image. It is a time of intense self-reflection, self-examination, and a new setting of priorities. It is a time for undoing regrets, for exploring all possible selves, for finding hidden identities that have been squelched under the enormous pressure of Being Mom. </div></div>

She also points out that we will be mothers of adult children far longer than we were hands on moms. I never stopped to think about that.

In case you would like a preview here is a link:

Beyond the Mommy Years by Carin Rubenstein, PhD

I'm going to order it from Amazon.

~Kathy

Coookie

Kathy,

That book is one I am going to get and I will probably get Nomad's suggestion too. I'm still trying to figure out if being the mom of a young child or an adult child is harder... :rolleyes: Seem's to be apples and oranges I guess. :frown:

Hugs

scent of cedar

Sounds interesting, Kathy. :smile:

I would add that there is an additional burden of grief for the parents whose children have not launched successfully.

Barbara