A Concession To Old Age...A Fake Tree!

DDD

I can't believe I'm doing it, but I am. This morning I told husband to buy a table top fake tree for the living room. :whiteflag: I do not have any kids around this Christmas who will enjoy the process of bringing in a big tree (geez, I love the fresh smell..lol), getting the lights and ornaments out of the attic and smiling during the process as our traditional Christmas music plays and cookies bake! Absolutely I have not a soul who will willingly take it all and carefully help put it away for next year.

husband did not have warm fuzzy holidays as a kid so it took years to get him to participate. When I told him the news this morning he popped a grin from ear to ear and said "that's great!"

I remember vividly when my former in-laws decided to "skip it" and the three children and I responded by buying a tree and spending the evening at their house sharing the process. They were such sweet people and appreciated the love and attention since they were too old and tired to do it. It seems like yesterday. Pawpaw was, if I recall, about 68 and Grandma was 64.

This is my first concession to the aging process. I hope I adapt. LOL DDD

klmno

I don't blame you! I got my mom one a few years ago but I don't think she even bothers getting it out. I use a fake tree but it's a big one- I only go thru the process because of difficult child still being young.

donna723

I don't blame you either! Actually, I've been using the same big fake tree for about the last fifteen years - and it still looks good! I paid $78 for it in Walmart all those years ago and now they're so expensive I could never afford to buy another one like it! I miss the smell of a real tree but I don't miss spending the big bucks to buy one and having all that mess. What is depressing is to put it all up by myself - when the kids were here it was fun - alone it's a 'chore"! Some years I don't bother to put up all the other decorations but I always have my tree - too depressing without it.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
We had to break down and buy an artificial tree when difficult child 2 was born and mother in law was coming to stay for the holidays. She's allergic to the live trees, and since we were a lot nicer back then, we acquiesed and got the fake tree. Turns out, it helped husband's winter allergies as well, so we've stuck with the tradition. I usually buy a live wreath, though, and hang it on my front door so at least I can enjoy SOME of the holiday scent as I come and go from the house. :D

DammitJanet

They have some really nice fake trees now DDD. Make sure you get one that is pre-lit. My Dad has had gorgeous fake trees for years now. The LED lights on them now are heavenly...lol.

DDD

husband already bought one and has it in his trunk. Guess I'll be surprised!
I'm trying to go with the aging flow but since we have never had an empty nest it's hard to get acclimated, lol. daughter

DammitJanet

I dont know that I will ever have an empty nest either...lol. It doesnt look like Billy will ever leave and all Tony can do is keep trying to hint to Cory to have more kids! I want to gag him.