A easy child old friend of easy child/difficult child is pictured in the paper today!

DDD

This lovely accomplished girl has been teaching at a middle school in the adjacent county. She had just announced within a month her intention to start a travel team for middle school softball. She graduated from college using a scholarship for softball. This week her life is changed because they found pot in her car in the faculty parking lot using an alert dog. It is so sad. Nice family. Nice girl. Ruined future. DDD

lovemysons

OMG THAT is sad...the law's are SO strict now!
I mean a Felony (young difficult child) for spitting at police.

Anyway,
Geez, DDD, you really DO live in a small town!!!
LMS

PatriotsGirl

That is HORRIBLE. For something that GOD created. A PLANT. Sorry, I SO do not agree with the marijuana laws. We make alcohol and cigarettes legal which is FAR more dangerous than a PLANT. So stupid. I feel awful for her...

SuZir

I so thank whatever powers that be for our publicity laws... With yours my kid would be so screwed...

When hearing things like this (LMS I really can't wrap my brains around your son's conviction, have tried whole time I have been here and still really don't get it. Serious prison time and branding for rest of the life for spitting while in medical crisis. I just don't get it.) I have to wonder how on earth are you planning to feed that endless crowd, who became unable to really make a decent living for themselves and their families over rather petty criminal acts and harsh and long term consequences of those?

Calamity Jane

Schools and the surrounding areas are designated "Drug Free Zones"...you're toast, particularly if you're a teacher if caught with illegal substances on school property. Do they usually have drug dogs in school areas as a matter of course, or was she suspected all along? That sounds pretty hard core.

DDD

Su-Zir many of us have young "felons" with NO violent background, NO dealing, etc. etc. That's one of the bonds that LMS, Deb and others have lived through. It's crazy. They even published pictures of young teens who got arrested where I live.

on the other hand, this young woman has to be held accountable. It's just a shame that she has self destructed so publicly. I feel badly for her family as I'm sure they never anticipated this problem. DDD

lovemysons

SuZir,
In all fairness and more complete disclosure...Young difficult child (while on probation for the spitting Felony) was re-arrested (again while drunk) for hitting his hand into the windsheild of his wife's car with the KIDS IN THE BACKSEAT! This I DO consider criminal behavior and think young difficult child SHOULD have gotten consequenced for that. However, what they upheld, and sent young difficult child to prison for, was the Spitting Felony...the "Child Endangerment" charge was later dropped. Go figure!!! Our law's make no sense sometimes.

LMS

SuZir

In all fairness and more complete disclosure...Young difficult child (while on probation for the spitting Felony) was re-arrested (again while drunk) for hitting his hand into the windsheild of his wife's car with the KIDS IN THE BACKSEAT! This I DO consider criminal behavior and think young difficult child SHOULD have gotten consequenced for that. However, what they upheld, and sent young difficult child to prison for, was the Spitting Felony...the "Child Endangerment" charge was later dropped. Go figure!!! Our law's make no sense sometimes.

Okay, that makes more sense. But still. My frugal little bourgeois tax payer soul just weeps over an idea of having to feed and room and guard able bodied people for months or years for still relatively small altercations. And then after prison sentence still have very lowered expectations for their ability to feed themselves and their families. Because while I sincerely hope your boy does it, all statistics tend to show that prison sentences do not make people more law-abiding but in fact tend to cause more criminal acts after release.

S

Signorina

Here too, every inch of school property is a drug, tobacco and alcohol free zone. We have signs at every entrance of the parking lot. It applies to everyone: students, parents, visitors, staff etc. The drug dog makes random visits and I think a random visit means they check every lot equally and not just the student or visitor lots because that would be considered a double standard.

As a teacher; she knew better... and I would guess there's a clause in her contract. Unless it was an amount that suggests dealing, it would just be a civil citation-like a ticket - and not be a criminal act or have a criminal penalty. But yes, she will probably lose her job and it will place a big dent in her career. I have to say, if she taught my kids, I would support her termination. Rules are rules.

Hardcore, I know. But alcohol AND cigs are legal and it applies to those as well. Though I am not sure a drug dog can detect either in closed car!

Nancy

Sig is right it may just be a civil case. That's a shame but gosh she should have known better. Since my easy child is a teacher I know how they are preached to all during college about never acting in a way that would jeopardise their career. They are told to clean up their special media and the boundaries between teacher and student. You would have thought she would understand the zero tolerance policy. If I told my easy child this story she would have no sympathy for her.

BusynMember

She could have gotten away with this if she weren't a teacher, but this was beyond ignorant. She knew better.

I don't think this lady will go to jail over pot. I also don't believe for a second that pot isn't as dangerous to some people as alcohol is to some people. If you read up on mental illness (particular schizophrenia, bipolar and disassociation disorders) pot is often the kicker that wakes the sleeping lion. I t hink some can safely use pot and some can't. I can't. So I know it's not harmless for everyone.

Still...it is rare to go to jail for smoking pot these days and, for better or for worse, it will probably be legalized within the next 5-10 years. And I agree it's not worse than alcohol, although I don't agree that it's better. Both are ok for most and harm some people.

DDD

I agree that she totally is accountable. It just seems weird that a smart achiever would make such a dumb choice. The word is that "someone" alerted the police and they took the dog to verify. I feel sorry for her family. Her Mom is a retired Principal who is disabled with MS. Oh well, I'll drop the subject but it was a shocker. DDD

Nancy

It's not all lost. If she gets a good attorney he can possibly plead it down. At any rate its a low misdemeanor and she can get it expunged. difficult child was in treatment with two teachers, one was a heroin addict and the other opiates. They are both back to teaching today and doing well.

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
I agree that she totally is accountable. It just seems weird that a smart achiever would make such a dumb choice. The word is that "someone" alerted the police and they took the dog to verify. I feel sorry for her family. Her Mom is a retired Principal who is disabled with MS. Oh well, I'll drop the subject but it was a shocker. DDD

Almost makes you wonder if someone planted it in her car then made the call. Is she defending herself in any way or just pleading guilty?

DDD

HaoZi it appears to me that she was set up BUT I haven't seen her in ten years so I'm not tight with the family. Nancy I "think" the quantity was high enough to be a felony. on the other hand we do not have "equal justice" where we live and it is quite possible that she will come out honky dory. A few years ago an elected official (actually a family that I was fairly close to during our sports days) was able to get his son sent to a rehab with tennis courts, swimming pools and community jobs after he was arrested for having a METH lab in his home. The Dad changed ownership of the home within hours of the arrest so the house was not confiscated either. Sigh. What a life! DDD

DammitJanet

I was wondering about a setup because she is a teacher myself. I know kids who would LOVE to setup a teacher. I would wait to hear the outcome before convicting her.