A Good Day

F

flutterbee

A week ago or so I posted an article on Developmental (or Complex) Trauma. I had come across this information and in reading it and researching more, see A LOT of my difficult child. Nothing has seemed to fit her in terms of a diagnosis other than the depression, anxiety and panic disorder, but there seems to be so much more than that. She seems to have pieces and parts of various diagnosis's, but nothing fits completely.

Wynter's home life from conception til 18 mos was violent and chaotic - domestic abuse via bio-dad. Complex Trauma is not yet in the DSM, but the NCTSN (National Child Traumatic Stress Network) is working to bring light to this issue, including inclusion into the DSM. There are years of research backing this and the treatment model is currently in use in reputable hospitals.

Anyway, I have been trying to find an appropriate day treatment center for Wynter as she is barely functional at this point. She's been in meltdown all week. She hasn't made it to school and I haven't been into work this week. I've been quite frustrated at the lack of appropriate resources in my area and in the difficulty in locating them.

So I went to Johns Hopkins webiste, as they are part of the NCTSN network, to see if I could find any info, links, etc. At the Kennedy Krieger Center, they have a trauma program for children. I emailed the program director, gave her a brief history on Wynter and asked for her assistance in locating local resources. That was 2 nights ago. They called me yesterday morning! Gave me the name of a place in Toledo - about an hour and a half from me.

I talked to the people in Toledo for quite a while and they train clinicians all over the state in the treatment model and are going to see if they know of one locally. In the meantime, a clinician that used to work for them is now working at a local facility. I called her and while they normally only work with children who are victims of sexual abuse or assault, they use the same treatment model and are going to see if they can see Wynter! While I was helping a friend this afternoon, they called and left a message! I don't know what the answer is, but it feels good to be making headway. If I have to, I'll drive to Toledo - at least for an assessment and then go from there.

I'm not a mental health professional and I don't know that this diagnosis is in fact what we are dealing with. But as she seems to match it so much, I want someone trained in that area to assess Wynter and, if this is in fact what we are dealing with, is trained in treating it.

They were very surprised that I knew so much about this issue and commended me on doing my homework and advocating for my daughter. I can't tell you how nice that is to hear. I'm giving myself a pat on the back tonight. Feels a lot better than beating myself up - something I'm very good at. After the week Wynter and I have had, this is an especially bright moment.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I'm loving the way this is going for you & for your difficult child. :bravo:

Keep us updated please...

Good job :warrior: You did good. :smile:

kris

<span style="color: #663366"> now THAT'S advocacy!!! you've done an amazing job. hope this helps you find answers.

kris :smile: :smile:
</span>

LittleDudesMom

:bravo: Heather,

Big clapping hands for your "sticktoitness"!

You are a first class :warrior:

Please keep us posted on Wynter's progress.

Sharon

Fran

Former desparate mom
<span style='font-size: 11pt'>Heather, how wonderful that you are peeling back the layers(like an onion) to find the core. You have done a great job of tracking down the diagnosis and the experts who deal with it. Phone networking did wonders for me. If that particular expert didn't know, I'd ask them to refer me to someone who might know.
My son is similar to your difficult child in that he has shades of several disorders and nothing stands out but being oppositional. He didn't have a traumatic childhood (although we had a traumatic parenthood) unless you call febrile seizures at 8mo,14 months and 22 months traumatic. Who knows what triggers behaviors? It was difficult to find the right environment and treatment because my difficult child didn't quite fit any one treatment plan.
Good luck and keep up the good work. I'm with you about driving an hour and a half to get the information you need to help your difficult child. :bravo: </span>