A good meeting/day

Wiped Out

Staff member
We had a meeting today with the guy that is assigned to difficult child's case with this new program he has been accepted into.

I really like this guy. He is really good with difficult child and because he works with so many other difficult children he barely phased him. He even got to see difficult child get really mad and threaten violence to easy child.

He came with lots of camp ideas for difficult child for the summer. difficult child said he didn't want any camps (which, of course, he will love). The guy said too bad that difficult child didn't want to help pick because he would probably just go ahead and pick out some knitting camps for him. That got difficult child's attention and he started to give some input:D This program will pay for his camps.

difficult child was constantly craving his attention and interrupting us. This guy handled everything in stride.

We will be getting respite at least 2 days a month (I'm hoping that means overnight), along with some other wraparound services including someone who will come in a couple times a week to help with him. I'm o.k. with this part I think. There is also some sort of art program that they will have difficult child join. He will also probably start learning the drums (think it will be time for some ear plugs!:highvoltage:)

Then towards the end he played game cube and then football and basketball with difficult child. difficult child was in 7th heaven.

The last time we met with the guy he told us he usually starts by firing a bunch of people (meaning tdocs and psychiatrists, etc...) but he said he really likes the team we've already assembled. He has heard of all the people we have, even difficult child's pediatrician.

He will be coming to difficult child's IEP meeting next week. He asked if we needed him to speak up much. We said probably not but would appreciate him being there. He thought it was cool we were so well informed (he gets some clients who don't even know what an IEP is and he does a lot of the talking and advocating at those meetings)

Sorry this is so long-I'm just so happy to have something good to post!! :D With the way both kids have been lately I was wondering if I'd ever have a good news post again (been crying myself to sleep a lot lately but think I'll sleep well tonight)

Oh yeah, I got to sneak off to difficult child's science fair today. He was so happy to see me he gave me two huge hugs-that was definitely worth rearranging my schedule for. He was so proud!!

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Sharon,

This sounds so positive! I hope you get overnight respite as well. I'll drop every other service if needed to keep weekend respite.

I love that this gentleman is willing to attend IEP mtgs & other appts. I expect he's used to it as many parents of difficult children with these types of services are many times not in the picture.

Keep us updated!

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Fran,

I agree ~ I have spent years telling my team that this is a family issue not just a difficult child issue.

Sharon, keep pushing that thought. In the end, it is about family & how difficult child "blends" in & interacts with family.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thanks all! I agree that having someone thinking about the family and not just difficult child is a good thing!

It all seems positive so far!! Hoping it stays that way!

LittleDudesMom

:its_all_good:

Sharon, great news!! The guy sounds great personally, and also sounds like he has a plan for everyone! Sounds like you will all benefit. Two days a month doesn't sound like a lot of respite, but some is better than none!

Sharon