A good night for difficult child 2

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Since upping his Depakote ER a few weeks ago, difficult child 2 has been less impulsive, less giddy -- essentially the hypomanic symptoms that were creeping back have been better. And I think it's stabilized him further so that we've been able to give him a sliver of the Daytrana patch the last two days (about 2.5mg equivalent) and he has been really, really good! He got his homework finished. He practiced his trumpet for tonight's concert. And he actually PLAYED his instrument tonight! During the winter concert, he just sat there with his mouth on the mouthpiece, but not blowing. He just couldn't follow along and he couldn't focus. Much different story tonight. I think the Daytrana is also helping reduce the sedation from the Seroquel XR.

We all went to dinner after his concert, and he was the BEST behaved of the three kids!

I'm noticing a wider range of emotion now, too. Instead of just silly, high, giddy, goofy, screwball ALL the time, now he seems more thoughtful, less reactive, but also experiencing disappointment, frustration, sadness -- but at a normal level. And he's able to talk about his feelings. It's like somebody turned on the fine-tuner and he's got better reception! Amazing.

Sure hope this lasts for him. Things are going to be so much tougher in middle school next year. He really needs to be stable. His MOM really needs him to be stable. :tongue:

Wiped Out

Staff member
Gvcmom,
Every body part crossed that it continues. It sounds like he is doing very well:) What a delightful post to read!