A little health update

BusynMember

Calm down. Just because one grandmother had it (maybe at age 80?) doesn't put you at risk. Everyone here on the board has some health issues in their family background. We don't get all of them. I know where you are coming from. You are sure you are dying. So was I. It's impossible to get it out of your head until you are medically cleared. So get it medically cleared, today if possible. Then go for help on phobias because finding cancer in every ache and pain or in constipation is horrible and I don't miss it one bit. You won't either. Promise ;)

Nomad

Staff member
Somewhere Out There ....are you speaking to me in the previous post??? ? Wow. I was speaking to Calif. Blond (cat logo), trying to make a point. Both my mom and grandmother (both) died at the age of 49 (forty nine) of cancer, not 80. But, this is of little to no concern to me. I certainly do NOT think I'm dying. WTH???? I was actually trying to comfort CB. I had some slight nervousness previously around that age, but I do NOT worry about these things in the least. Instead, I eat in a very healthy manner and try to either avoid stress or make a personal decision to handle it well. I gather you either thought I was CB, didn't fully read my post or you didn't understand it. (Even though I think you were addressing CB and not me, I think it was a little unkind. Not only did you confuse us, but it lacked empathy) I was, at least TRYING to say, that by eating well, not worrying so much, seeing a doctor if one feels it is needed, etc., it is very empowering and that there is NO need to be anxious. I do NoT need to calm down. I'm not upset or anxious and do not fear. I was speaking to CB and trying to help her with with what seems like possible anxiety about her health issues. I've been blessed with improvement with my health issues (lupus, etc.) and have been doing better and feel very fortunate!!!!! WTH? This is NOMAD with the turtle logo. Not CB. I'm doing well and am pleasantly taking my good health into my own hands. I was, at least trying, to relay this positive message to CB. Signed, Nomad (turtle logo):)

Last edited:

Californiablonde

I am super confused! What post are ER taking about that has everybody so upset? I don't see it! Anyway, the gastroenterologist is giving me the colonoscopy I wanted. The sudden constipation is the biggest red flag for him. So I am waiting on the authorization to go through which usually takes about two weeks, then I will schedule the colonoscopy. However, the doctor did NOT take me seriously about my ulcers and therefore I am not getting the endoscopy I want. My regular doctor had already checked me for H Pylori and it came back negative. The gastroenterologist says this means I definitely don't have an ulcer. Well he is full of crap! difficult child has three stomach ulcers diagnosed by endoscopy and she also tested negative for H pylori. So this doctor is wrong. There are other causes of ulcers and I think I may have one due to the fact that mine and difficult child's symptoms are identical. So I will be seeing somebody else for a second opinion. My next move is to schedule and appointment with my gyno. When the gastroenteritis pressed down on my right lower stomach yesterday it hurt terribly. I have been battling ovarian cysts on my right ovary for years now, and I think it's back. I'm trying not to think cancer. Anyway that's my update and I do appreciate all of you for your support.

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
Hi CB, thanks for the update. I'm glad you will be getting in for a colonoscopy and it sounds like the gastro. Dr. is taking your concerns to heart.

I've had ovarian cysts also, those things can really be painful.

Just try to remember to breath slowly and focus on being calm. You will soon have some answers.

((HUGS)) to you............

pasajes4

There are a lot of causes for constipation. I suffer from a severe inability to have a bm without some kind of medication. The colonoscopy both virtual and invasive showed no growths or obstructions. I do have a very long colon and it is somewhat twisted. That does contribute to some of the reason for the constipation. The other factors are, when I sit for long periods of time, consume to much fiber without enough fluids and exercise, and stress. Stress is bad for your bowels.

It is wise to go for check-ups. It is not good to obsess about it. You are being proactive and if there is anything, and a majority of the time at your age there isn't, it can be dealt with swiftly and with good results.

ctmom05

My experience was that the cancer itself(non hodgkins lymphoma) did not affect my weight, but the treatment did ~ chemo made me feel crummy, so I lost weight from not be able to eat.

There are so many uniquely individual symptoms & characteristics with all types of cancer that I feel the best place to get evaluated and seek information is with an oncologist.

Fitting one's own symptoms into a diagnostic profile can stir up a great deal of anxiety; even with a diagnosis & perhaps more so without one

recoveringenabler

Staff member
CB, you are smart to have tests done to rule out any bigger issues. You may need to change your diet. I am very sensitive to food, I am allergic to dairy and very sensitive to gluten and sugar. You may be lactose intolerant as well. You might try a detox kind of diet, where you eliminate certain foods for a week. I had a lot of luck with Dr. Mark Hyman's book, 'The Ultra Simple Diet'. I lost weight, I was not hungry and it made it clear what I was sensitive to. It's a healthy regiment of lots of veggies, little protein and brown rice. I've now changed my diet around and have learned to cook without gluten, dairy and sugar. It's made a big difference in my overall health and well being. I feel SOOOOO much better. I also take supplements which are important for me. Wishing you health CB. Let us know what the Dr. says.

Californiablonde

I am not looking forward to that colonoscopy, that's for sure. I have to literally starve myself 24 hours before the procedure. Clear chicken broth and Jello only. How the heck am I supposed to work all day on practically an empty stomach? Ugh! And then there's the gallon of laxative I have to drink. Yuck.

But if it gives me peace of mind then I'm all for it. After the surgery I will be making an appointment with my doctor to check on ovarian cysts. I am still having pain on that lower right side and it's radiating to my back. Going on my walks every day is causing me lots of pain. I just want to be pain free and healthy for once!

Californiablonde

Well the authorization went through and I am finally scheduled for my colonoscopy. Bad news is they don't have any openings till next month, so the surgery isn't until May 16th. Good news is it's on a Saturday, so I won't have to miss work. In the mean time the pain is getting worse. The back pain is particularly bad. My nightly walks are excruciating. I am usually good for 30 minutes of power walking but lately I'm lucky if I make it to 15. I miss being healthy. This pain 24/7 just plain sucks. I hope the next month goes by REAL fast and I finally get some answers.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
A few years ago I ended up with a lot of pain on my left lower abdomen, and the back pain was really bad. Turned out I had a severe case of diverticulitis that was brought to a head with a colonoscopy (Before you panic, it was when they were using water to do them, now they do air) The back pain was from my kidney that was blocked because things that were not supposed to be attached to each other were. The prep is the worst part (if you do Jello, etc make sure it is not red or orange) While you are waiting, use a probiotic daily, take a fiber supplement. I also have IBS and colitis so I know it is not fun to be in pain. And watch what you eat - I cannot digest corn so I have to stay away from it, along with seeds and nuts. And you probably know this already, but stress makes things worse. Drink plenty of water.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
CB. Ensure now makes a supplemental drink called Ensure Clear designed for people who have to go on a clear liquid regime for reasons such as yours. Pick up a couple of 6 packs of it. It'll at least get some balanced nutrition itno you while you are on clear liquids.Just watch the colorings/flavorings because, as Marcie Mac said, Red and ORange dyes can cause problems.

Californiablonde

I have been told the prep is the worst and once that part is over, the rest is smooth sailing. Bad part about this is I am not finding out what time the procedure is until 48 hours beforehand. They told me that a nurse will call me two days before and let me know exactly what time to be there. She said it can take place anywhere from 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. I hope it's not too early. I don't want to have to wake up extra early on a Saturday just to drink that horrible stuff plus make it there at 7:00.

I will have to pretty much starve myself the Friday before and that kinda sucks. I will be at work eating nothing but jello and chicken broth. On Fridays my job usually orders take out and everybody in the office picks out what they want. I will have to skip it. I am hoping at least the procedure will be done around 10:00 in the morning, so I can at least eat a good sized breakfast at work on Friday. I am going to see about getting the Ensure you talked about, GoingNorth. To me that sounds better than plain old chicken broth. I wish I could just get this all over with and move on!