A new life for me...scary

Abbey

Spork Queen
Consider this: You'll need a whole new wardrobe. That could be a good thing or not, depending on how much you like buying clothes.

I HATE buying clothes. I think I'm the only woman out that that loathes shopping. But, I might have to bite the bullet and get something that is more warm.

Abbey

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Abbey I hate buying clothes too. But I think you'll need to in order to live up there.

Sounds like a grand adventure! And I'll have to PM you about the offer to read the book so far. Sounds really interesting. I used to love listening to the stories of my grandmother's friends.

F

flutterbee

Sounds exciting and scary. Good luck!

And you'll have to share pictures of you wearing the wedge of cheese. :D

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Abbey, where in WI are you planning on heading? I live in Rhinelander (north central WI, also known as the Northwoods), but am familiar with the entire state.

If you are moving up to my neck of the woods, you would do better to worry about 20 BELOW than 20 above.

It's not uncommon to have -45 windchills up here.

Yep, you will definitely need a new wardrobe, LoL.

The good news is that no one cares about fashion in the winter up here. We're into layers. WARM layers.

Summers are gorgeous, usually 70s and low eighties with maybe a few 90 degree days in August. It still usually cools off at night. For you, being a thin blooded Westerner, you'd probably want a sweater or similar handy for nights, at least through June and early July.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Abbey,

Moving to our neck of the woods, eh? :winks: So when do we meet for coffee, lady? slsh, wiped out & I meet half way, you can join in for our next adventure (which I hope is soon). Yurts! We need Yurts!

Picking up & moving cross country is always a fun adventure. Enjoy the quiet, downtime for writing. I hope that goes well for you.

Yup, get the warm clothes, the boots & mittens. Skis, ice skates, sleds, shovels, snow blowers, ......... an adventure!

Wiped Out

Staff member
It sounds scary and exciting all at once but more exciting. I don't blame you at all about not wanting to do the snow sports-I don't either and I live right here in Wisconsin. Maybe you'll be close by and we'll get to meet.

Andy

See, you will be getting lots of new neighbors that you already know via this board. It will be so much fun! And remember, your laptop/computer will still work in your new home so we will all still be your favorite friends.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Wow, that's a change, but I bet you will be "up" for it. I'm thinking your store employer will be crying to lose you!!!! Hope the writing goes well and safe travels when you do your move........I HATE MOVING!!!!!! Glad its you and not me.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Moving to Oshkosh. Maybe seeing all you guys will make the move a bit easier. We also have a 'cabin' in Northwoods that has been willed to us. I find it a bit creapy as the inlaws are still alive. We go up there every now and then...build big bon fires...husband hunts, I sit in the cabin keeping nice and warm reading a good book. ;)

Abbey

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Hey Abbey...my brother and exhusband go to Oshkosh together every summer for the EAA Fly-In. It's a world-renowned air show and lasts over a week - quite extraordinary from what I've heard. Pretty cool.

Suz

Fran

Former desparate mom
Wow Deb, your husband in Wisconsin!
Hope this is the change you both needed. I'm with Witz. You couldn't find two more opposite places to live. Good luck with the separate living situation. I'm sure it will be trying for both of you.

Are neither of you interested in teaching?

TerryJ2

Be prepared for major culture shock. I think you will be pleasantly surprised, though.
LOL, Suz, that you remembered the granny panties. Yes, he will miss you, Abbey!
Be sure to take advice from GoingNorth. I agree. I was born and raised in MN and you haven't seen cold until you've been up there.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Abbey~:temps::frostbite::windy::coldday::snowing::sled::skate::blizzard::snowangel:

Look at how happy you are making the snow angel!!!

Well we will be passing each other in the night when we move... me to the heat and you to the freezing cold... I feel for you! I still love the cold and the heat though.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Deb,

I love Oshkosh! It's a great small town. When husband & I moved from Seattle to the midwest, we considered Oshkosh. Still wish we could have moved there. Every time I head down to visit my family I go through Oshkosh - you'll be living about 25 miles from my sister & brother (they both bought homes in the same small country town). I'm sure I have a niece or nephew or 2 that live in that area & my aunt & uncle still live in Oshkosh.

We went to the fly ins with my dad & uncle almost every summer.

What a fun adventure. Get the feeling I miss small town life.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Not interested in teaching. One of my many faults is holding a grudge.:biting: Also, WI is one of the hardest states to get a teaching license. Right now, I'm too tired to consider it. Maybe later.

One of my several concerns is Oshkosh is a dying town. They tried to revitalize the downtown (which is all of about 5 square blocks) a few years ago...complete failure. They did it up nice, but the businesses failed.

I AM looking forward to a break from the life we currently lead. And for those wondering minds...I am moving into a bedroom at the the grannie pants guy's house. No, there is NOTHING going on...he's just a good friend. I think he will be returning to WI with me. He's also a native. I think he's as eager to leave here as all of us.

A weird coincidence is that husband's family and grannie guy's family have been life long friends. I guess it is a small world. We work completely opposite schedules so it should work out well.

I packed 19 boxes today. That's a start. I probably only have another....300 to go. Ugh.

Abbey

4sumrzn

I'm happy for you! You will for sure have to go clothes shopping......what a big change weather wise ;) Ahhhh.....I had a feeling it was Mr Grannie Panties when you mentioned staying with a friend & a friend moving up there with you! I wish all of you the best for a smooth transition & think it's great that you've set goals that you are reaching for!!!!!!

'Chelle

The good thing about moving is that you can get rid of all the old junk that you don't really use or need, cuz you don't feel like packing it to take with you. You know, we all have all that junk in the closet and drawers that we MAY NEED sometime and so don't throw away but don't use for 10 years anyway LOL

Good luck on the move. Get some good warm mitts. :coldday: Born here where it gets - 35 without the windchill :frozen: LOL, never lived anywhere warm, but I'm like you in the winter. I stay in where it's warm unless I have to go out. Don't like winter sports much, but I CAN skate

dirobb

I am a CD addict
Abbey,
it sounds like a great adventure..... Wishing you and husband the best of luck

Get some warm socks...I hate when my toes and feet are cold.

We were gonna move north (arkansas...feel thru) I was kinda dreading the winters....But it is so gorgeous.....stilll sad it didnt pan out.

Shopping is better when you have a reason...in my opinion