A new school year

Wiped Out

Staff member
For those of you who have kids that have started school already this year, how are things going?

For those of us who have kids starting tomorrow, I hope everyone's difficult children and pcs have a great first day! (My difficult child doesn't start til Wed because only 9th graders go to high school tomorrow at the high school and easy child/difficult child starts at the community college tomorrow but only has one class on Tuesdays and Thursdays).

May it be a great year for all!
Let us know how it goes!!

unc tarheel

My difficult child had a great week in 2nd grade (he went back to school last Monday). We have (we hope) a strong IEP, his schedule is regimented at school and home. In the past, the problems didnt start until weeks later. We will see......

LittleDudesMom

Sharon, I was going to come on this morning and do the same thing! This is the first time in 20 years that I have not had to get someone ready for back to school! Kinda nice, kinda bittersweet knowing that a part of your life is over forever....

Wishing everyone peace and calm.

Sharon

Wiped Out

Staff member
Unc-Glad to hear your difficult child had a great first week! Fingers crossed it continues!

Sharon-It must feel different not getting anyone ready to go back to school.

Well, easy child/difficult child had only one class today which she said she didn't care for.

As for me, it was a very good first day of school! My class seems chatty but very nice. We will need to work on listening when someone is talking but they honestly seem like the sweetest kiddos.

Anyone else?

JKF

My easy child doesn't start until Friday which also happens to be a half day. Talk about easing into the school year. Anyway - we finished getting everything ready today and he's excited to start 8th grade on Friday. He'll have the aide back with him this year so I'm excited about that. He definitely needs that extra support in order to keep him focused and on track.

Sent using ConductDisorders mobile app

HMBgal

difficult child darling grandson back, third grade. Wonderful mellow teacher, and he's trying really hard. Of course, the wheels have come off a couple of times when he's home. Two major meltdowns with some property damage. He didn't swear and curse, but my husband was pummeled pretty good, as were a couple of doors, extremely hard stomping on the floor that shook the house, etc. I think he knows he can give Pop Pop that treatment because he's big and strong. But the grandson is getting stronger, too. Not bigger, unfortunately, because of non-stop Concerta since Nov. of 2011. His sister, two and 1/2 years younger, is catching up to him in height fast. So, the boy is in his honeymoon phase at school, so we wait for the phone calls that we fear will come and hope it's not too bad. His peers are kind of over his lack of social skills, although he has gotten so much better, and he is such a sweet, caring little old soul. He knows what to do, how to do it, but when he loses it, it's well and truly lost until the storm blows over. He's doing great academically, although his refusal to do worksheets and produce any output is becoming a problem and will probably slow him down. Crud. That's all we need is to have him start falling behind. Fingers crossed on that one.

Wiped Out

Staff member
JFK-I hope his first day goes well!

HMBgal-glad your grandson has a mellow teacher. It is concerning that he is pummeling Pop Pop. Crossing fingers this year goes better than you are thinking.

difficult child had his first day today. He said it was a good one and even did some homework. difficult child has never had much in the way of hw due to his disabilities; we'll see what happens this year.