A Pat on the Back for Larry the Cable Guy

muttmeister

I've never really been a fan of Larry the Cable Guy. He seems rude and crude and obnoxious. He is a fellow Nebraskan but I've always felt my state was better represented buy the other celebreties from here (people like Johnny Carson, Dick Cavett, Fred Astaire, Marlon Brando, Warren Buffett, Henry Fonda, Willa Cather, Mari Sandoz, Darryl F. Zanuck, Chief Red Cloud, and Malcolm X). And his accent gives me a headache; I've lived here all my life and I've never heard anybody speak like that.:tongue:
HOWEVER, I've had to alter my opinion. I have a friend who is accompanying her uncle this weekend on an honor flight to Washington Difficult Child. This is a program where World War II Veterans are taken to the new World War II Memorial and to many of the other sites in Washington and wined and dined and honored. I know that many places are trying to provide these programs for WW II vets and there are many fundraisers to provide the money as it is free for the vets. There has been a lot of coverage of this particular trip on our local TV stations. This group is made up of over 100 Nebraska WW II vets and the people accompanying them (many are old enough to need assistance). They told on TV last night that Larry the Cable Guy paid for this entire group out of his own pocket. I'm sure he didn't do it for the publicity and I think it was really a classy thing for him to do. Maybe he's not so bad after all.:redface: I think he deserves a pat on the back.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I see him in a whole new light now!

Thanks for sharing that story, how awesome. I can't stand listening to his gigs on the comedy channel - he's such a sexist pig. BUT, noooowwwww.....

donna723

It's funny but my new boss and I were just talking about Larry the Cable Guy yesterday! He actually met him once a while back when he worked part time at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville, where the Grand Ol Opry used to be. He's not quite as extreme off-stage as he is on, but he said he's pretty much the same, just a big, goofy, funny guy who is really very nice, if a little rough around the edges. And I know he's not exactly "politically correct" but I think he's hysterical!

And I've tried to convince my "big-city" cousins of this, but where I live in a tiny town in middle Tennessee, he'd blend right in! No one would even give him a second look! I guarantee you, I could go to the grocery store across the street right now and find at least a half dozen guys pushing carts around who look, dress and talk just like him!