A pine needle bomb went off in my living room

Yep. Took down the tree, our very first real tree, today. We kept it watered but nevertheless it is as dry as a desicated lizard carcass in the Mojave Desert. Just touch it and it sheds 10,000 needles instantly. After the tree was removed we spent two solid hours, no exaggeration, vacuuming. Had to stop and clear the needle clogs from the vacuum cleaner a dozen times.

I'm not sure when we put it out to the curb. For now it is standing outside among the shrubbery, looking very much at home.

goldenguru

Yup. Our tree is the same way every year. We put it in the bon fire pit and have a "Christmas in July" bonfire with the old Christmas tree. Sort of a fun tradition.

Real trees are wonderful - until it's time to take them down.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Bonfire in July? *snort* I still find needles in July! LOL Although I have yet to do this (we have a real tree every year), there are products out there to help prevent or at least minimize this problem.

One that I know of are very large trash bags. Before you set the tree up you open the bag and then just set the tree up inside it. The bag is around the base and can be covered with those tree blanket uh...thingies. Another thing you can do is spread an old (large) flat sheet out on the floor in front of the tree. Afer making sure that the tree stand is empty of water, you just tip the tree over onto the sheet, take the stand off and wrap the sheet around the tree before taking it outside.

Like I said, I haven't actually done this although every year, I SWEAR it's going to be different next year. I would think, though, that you might still get needles but not nearly as much as without either of these methods.

LittleDudesMom

I've found in the past (this is my first year with an artificial tree) that sweeping the needles up before vacuuming works well. You can sweep whether they are on the carpet or the floor. Pine needles can do a real job on your vacuum if you're not careful.

I love the "Christmas in July" bonfire tradition!!!! Roasted marshmellows with aromatic dead pine!

Sharon

DDD

That is why :smile: our tree no longer is placed in front of the window but now resides in the corner closest to the front door! This year's tree has the most delightful pine aroma. Today
it heads outside. I'm going to miss it..lol. DDD

Star*

call 911........call 911
You were the tree that changed my world
You were the tree for me
You lit the fuse I stand accused
You shined so prettily

But you turned me out- pine tree

You dropped a bomb on me, tree
You dropped a bomb on me.

But you turned me on tree.

You were my thrills, you gave me Christmas chills
You dropped a bomb on me

You turn me out, you turn me on, you turned me loose
Then you turned me wrong (all those freakin needles)

But you turned me out tree

Just like Adam & Eve.
Said you'd set me free, you brought me to the tree lot
I'd never been so fly

You were my Christmas Chills, you were my thrills
You were my hope tree, you could have gone up in smoke

You dropped a bomb on me, hey tree

But you turned me out, tree

But you turned me on, tree
You dropped a bomb on me,tree

We were in motion, felt like a Christmas notion
You were the tree for me
You were the first to cause erosion,
Turned out to be corrosion
You were the tree for me.

But you turned me out, tree
You dropped a bomb on me,tree

I won't forget what you done to me, tree with your needles smelling so good.

I, II, III won't forget -LIVE TREES
I, II, III won't forget -NEXT YEAR

You dropped a bomb on me, pine tree

You dropped a bomb on me, pine tree

I, II, III won't forget -LIVE TREES
I, II, III won't forget -to sweep first next year

You turned me out, you turned me on
And then you dropped me to the ground (trying to level it)

You turned me out, you turned me on
And then you dropped me to the ground (we tied you to the wall)

You turned me out, then you turned me on

You dropped a bomb on me
You dropped a bomb on me
You dropped a bomb on me
You dropped a bomb on me
You dropped a bomb on me

mom_in_training

:rofl: I like the Bomb song.... Lol!!!! I hate real trees, I stopped getting them because they would dry out before xmas despite the watering and all. The last year I bought one it was sooooo dry that I would'nt even switch on the lights for fear that it would explode on xmas day. Yikes!!!! So I have a six foot artificial tree. Lol!! Much safer.

Oh and get that dead thing away from your house!!!! I used to worry that some Pyro would come along and torch it just for fun, You never know about people these days.

donna723

Love it, Star! I didn't know that song-writing was among your many talents!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I have all the decorations taken down now except for the big artificial tree. I HATE that part! Has anybody ever tried taking all the ornaments off and then just using the vacuum cleaner to s*ck all the tinsel icicles off the tree??? Seriously!!!

susiestar

Roll With It
Star, you are truly AMAZING!!

We always have an artificial tree. I don't really mind picking up the pine needles, but we are all allergic to the trees, so ....

Last year I worked an estate sale and there was a beautiful prelit tree that did not sell. After the sale we are allowed to pick out anything we want, part of the contract the company that employs us works out. So I took the tree.

It is so nice not to have to mess with lights. And have such a pretty tree. We are leaving it up for another month or so. I may just decorate it for Valentines!!

Sorry about the pine needle bomb.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Great song! :rofl: We used to always have real trees. I finally got fed up with all the needles and went to artificial about 7 years ago. The only thing I miss is the fresh pine smell but not enough to go back to real. I buy candles to make up for it.

Marguerite

For us in bushfire season, dead Christmas trees are a major fire hazard. We live in bushland (Aussie forest) and idiots dump dead trees by the roadside, where they become a major danger.

We don't have 'real' trees any more, we have an artificial one instead. But an alternative we've tried, is to get a live tree in a pot, then plant it outside after Christmas and eventually have a grove of trees. And it doesn't have to be radiata pine, either. We have she-oaks here, like an Aussie pine in the way it has needles. I love them in the garden (not everybody does). We also have other sorts of pine - Bunyah pine (very prickly, with cones twice as big as your head, which burst apart like grenades when they land) and the newly discovered, very rare Wollemi pine, which was being sold this year in pots as a Christmas special.

A 'real' tree not only drops needles, it wilts so fast. When you get it really fresh it's standing up pretty and perky, then within days the tips of the branches are drooping, looking sad. In our summer climate, it really doesn't take long for them to look ghastly.

I have a Christmas wreath on the front door which I made this year, on 1 December. It's been looking dead since 2 December. I might salvage it, though, and maybe use the base to turn it into something a bit more lasting, using artificial flowers or maybe herbs which can be used after they're dried. Bay leaves, maybe.

We'll se.

Marg