A positive regarding hygeine

M

ML

For the second day in a row manster insisted on taking a shower before school even though he'd taken baths the night before. AND.. get this... he actually washed his body while in there. He asked for Axe deoderant and body spray and is using it too. He's also insisting on taking on more independenc in general. I think this Middle School thing is having some positive benefits.

Just had to share. I never thought I would see this day. I'm sure we will see enough challenges in the coming days/weeks so I thought it would be good to recognize this positive. Someone please remind me of this when I go bezerk about one them at some point down the line.

shellyd67

ML, husband and I were just stressing about difficult child's stinky self last night. He is 11 and could care less if he stinks or not. It is disgusting and he has to be begged to clean his act up.

I am sooooo happy for you and Manster. This has always been a stressor for me.

husband swears that once difficult child starts to like girls he will clean up.

tiredmommy

What was that you said about "hot chicks" at school in your other post? LOL! :rofl:

I told Duckie that Manster started MS yesterday and she got this horrified look on her face and said "Is he okay?" like it was some sort of disease or something. ;)

aeroeng

Mom of Three
It is so nice when they clean themselves! difficult child in training is finally taking hygiene seriously as well. (Used to blow his nose on his shirts - Yuck). We purchased some new clothing and he is now actually planning on changing his shirts when dirty! I know it is a small thing, but when you fought over it for so long it is a big change.

Congratulations!

Wiped Out

Staff member
Good for Manster!!! I would be dancing for joy! Just be sure he doesn't overdue on the Axe spray-we had to ban it from difficult child because the rest of us couldn't breathe-lol!

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Nice!

Thank heavens for Axe....it seems a lot of our young men have been inspired to "clean up their act" and use those products.

tiredmommy

I personally hate Axe; it makes my eyes water and I choke up when I'm around it. Particularly around those young men that don't understand a little goes a long way. Be sure to remind Manster that Hot Chicks with asthma (like Duckie) will actually be repelled by using too much! ;-)

cubsgirl

We went through some of the same things as difficult child. He didn't do well in hygiene in middle school and stunk constantly. He would take a shower every day but only stand under the water - no soap, no shampoo.

He started high school last year and the change has been amazing. I wonder if peer pressure worked positively this way. In fact he uses way to much shampoo and soap now but I'm picking my battles.

Yay for Manster. Give him a hug for me.

donna723

My son went through all those stages when he was a kid. He would get in the shower and just stand there too. He'd come out and I would ask him if he used soap. He'd say, "Well, you didn't tell me to!" Same with shampoo. Me: Did you wash your hair? Him: Yes. Me: Did you use shampoo? Him: You didn't tell me to. After that I had to cover every technicality so he had no excuses. Then one day it was like a switch had been thrown! He suddenly became fanatical about showering, tooth brushing and deodorant. I don't know if he suddenly discovered girls or if maturity struck him like a bolt of lightning, but whatever it was, it worked.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Good for you! AND Manster!

LOL - I should say, good for your nose...

Can you send him down for the weekend, to have a LOOOONNNNGGGG talk with J, who, yesterday at the open house, had something icky all over his face and did not care?!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I personally hate Axe; it makes my eyes water and I choke up when I'm around it. Particularly around those young men that don't understand a little goes a long way. Be sure to remind Manster that Hot Chicks with asthma (like Duckie) will actually be repelled by using too much! ;-)

Ditto - it makes me gag, even the smallest of amounts! I wish they'd come out with a body spray for men that doesn't have that sickening smell.

On the upside, ML, YA FOR MANSTER!!!! I am sooooo happy for you!! difficult child doesn't live with me anymore, but occasionally when I see her, I cringe at her hair and her smell and her teeth? Ugh, this morning for example...we were going to the doctors together and I asked her if she'd brushed her teeth - she nodded no and I wanted to scream, "WHY NOT?!?!?!?!!?" LOL. Some things don't change, I'm glad they have for Manster...must be all those teeny bopper hotties at MS, lol.

between this and the makeup thread you've all given me hope that anything is possible....mine just realized that it might be a good idea to shave her legs BEFORE going to a pool party this weekend, since, you know, its been about a month.

and desperately wants to go to a "salon" for a haircut (not the cheapo $10 joint--hey, its not that i'm cheap, its that she has straight bangs/straight hair-its not rocket science to cut her hair!).

i *so* hope this is a beginning, for all of our incoming MS'ers :)

keista

I'm in the ax the Axe camp. I think they intentionally designed it so that boys wouldn't have to shower. There is no such thing as not overusing that stuff because a drop can be smelled a mile a way by a normal person, 2 miles by someone allergic to it (ME) More power to you if you can live with it.

Glad he is paying attention to his hygiene, though. It's a great start to a difficult time in life!

M

ML

Thanks everyone. I will have to say that having the shampoo and body wash all in one has been helpful. He has asthma himself so hopefully this will help him not to overdo it.