A Priceless Find

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
We did our monthly trip to the GW outlet this weekend.

We found a few things. Can't say we thought we'd found anything super special. Well.......I did find a 1947 copy of Life magazine in really good shape.......but still.

Nichole was telling me a few minutes ago about a cookbook she picked up. She was tickled because she thought it was just a cook book with old dutch from scratch recipes in it published in the 1960's. Then she went to thumb through it and read off some of the recipes...........and that is when she discovered what she really had.

Tucked within the pages of that cook book was an original Garden for Victory Pamphlet published in 1944 for ohio in perfect condition. I thought the child was going to pop right through the phone. lol It tells you how to set it up, how to prepare it, when to plant it, how to grow crops in such an order that you're always rotating them and planting a new set for the highest yield and what to plant to make certain you're getting a balanced diet. All sorts of wonderful information. I admit I was jealous and wishing I could see it too. So she did a quick search and found a pdf someone made of one published the year before hers.

I dunno how many people here might be considering planting a garden to off set food prices or just to eat healthier but this may come in handy..........and in my opinion is far easier to understand than most published things I read on gardening as they don't seem to take for granted you know what you're doing. I haven't checked but perhaps there are more out there for other states as well.

Here is the one for ohio for anyone who would like to print it out:

http://www.ohiomemory.org/cdm/compoundobject/collection/p267401coll32/id/3023/rec/5

donna723

I'd love to see a cook book like that! It's probably long gone but I once found a World War II era cook book that had belonged to my grandmother ... not that you'd really want to try out most of the recipes. This was the days of rationing and it's full of tips on skimping and substitutions on things that we'd think nothing of just picking up in the grocery store today. Really interesting though.

I would have been thrilled just to find that magazine! I LOVE to look at old things like that! One of my most prized possessions is an Oct. 1904 edition of Cosmopolitan magazine! Believe it or not, back then it was more like Newsweek, concentrated on current events, news, and pictures - nothing like todays Cosmo. The articles are fun to read but the real attraction is the ads. They are just fascinating! You could buy whole houses for a few thousand dollars, shipped to you by rail! And long before the food and drug acts, you could buy patent medicines to "cure" everything from baldness to blindness to cancer. Asparagus flavor Jello was a healthful thing to feed your children. And the clothing ads! OMG! My favorite thing was a set of long cloth pads that gentlemen could put down the inside of their pants legs! No, NOT what you're thinking! Back then a lot of people got rickets as children and the resulting bow-legs were a sign of poverty and poor diet. So these padded things were supposed to give the appearance of straight legs. Who knew that such things even existed!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Nichole loves the magazine...........she is sort of hoping since it isn't in pristine condition that I'll let her remove a few of the ads so she can frame them to put into her kitchen. lol I've not yet given her an answer on that request.

We do actually plan on using the victory garden guide as well as the cook book. As a family, we're trying to get away from prepared foods as much as possible, even if it means more work in the kitchen. Thankfully so far it also makes it much cheaper.

Nichole made her first marsh mellows at home last night to go into her homemade cocoa. She was stunned at how easy they were to make, but even more stunned with how much infinitely better they tasted. I've always made homemade cocoa the way my grandma did. I can't stand the store mixes.......to me they're disgusting. Best of all? No added junk in either of them.

I just found a recipe for homemade velveeta as well, doesn't sound hard to do except it is looking more and more like I'm going to have to pick up an inexpensive blender. Velveeta is loaded with salt and a bunch of other things, some of which heaven only knows what it is......and it's not even cheese. The homemade version is actually made out of real cheese. :) I can't wait to try this one. My kidney's are having more and more issues filtering and I have the joys of finding the hidden salt in process foods either by swelling or getting hot about an hour after the meal (seems my body flushes trying to cause me to sweat to rid myself of the excess salt) or both. blah

The difference in taste..........is out of this world for foods/recipes made completely from the ground up from scratch. And you have total control of what is gong into it from salt to whatever spices ect.

DammitJanet

I found the most absolutely to die for recipe for hot fudge cake that supposedly stems back from WWII when certain things were rationed. I cant prove that though, just what some reviews have said. All I know is this is better than brownies and easier to do and much tastier.i know the recipe sounds very strange because it has no eggs and it says to just dump water over the cake...but do it! Also if you have more than 4/5 people in your family, I would double the recipe and just use the 9x13 pan. Increase cooking time by 5 minutes. Honestly you wont be able to the toothpick test. Time the baking. The batter will be spread very thin into the pans....probably about a quarter inch if that.

HOT FUDGE PUDDING CAKE
Printed from COOKS.COM

1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp. cocoa
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup milk
2 tbsp. shortening, melted*
1 cup finely chopped nuts (optional)
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup cocoa
1 3/4 cups hot water

Preheat oven to 350°F.In a mixing bowl, measure flour, sugar, 2 tbsp. cocoa (or use up to 4 tbsp.), baking powder and salt. Blend in milk and shortening; stir in nuts.
Pour into an ungreased 9x9x2-inch square baking pan.
Stir together brown sugar and 1/4 cup cocoa; sprinkle over batter. Pour hot water over the batter. Do not stir!
Bake for 30-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of cake (not the pudding) comes out clean.
While the cake is still very warm from the oven, spoon cake and pudding into dessert cups or serving bowls. Top with Cool Whip, whipped cream flavored with rum or vanilla ice cream, or garnished with chocolate curls, if desired, or serve as-is.
*If using salted butter, decrease salt by half.
Submitted by: CM