A problem in a foreign culture

witzend

Wow, this is interesting.
Why on earth would not drinking make your daughters a terrorist threat???? I don't get it. But I'm interested :) Would you mind explaining? We don't have that here at all.

I think it's a way of identifying Muslim Fundamentalists.

TerryJ2

Rotsne,
I actually didn't think you were Muslim--I just used that example because it was the most recent mural I did, and they were bilingual.
I grew up in Minnesota, which is somewhat closer to your culture than where I live now. People attend the same schools as their parents and grandparents, and it seems like even the Twin Cities is a Big Small Town.
I live in an extremely transient area of Virginia, and oh, what a difference it makes! You meet all sorts of interesting people who have traveled all over, but transience does have its costs. My husband and I were just talking about that the other day.

I, too, am happy that you have avoided the boarding school. Keep up the good work.

Ropefree

Banned
We have an inherited trait in my family and drinking alcohol is not something I would accept for my children as a requirement from anyone. As an adult I would drink hot water with a splash of soda for color tone and a wedge of lemon. In social situation like a bar I would make a deal with my waitress...just bring the hot tap water like this and keep the money if someone offered to buy me a drink.
In the US the designated driver is the one who does not drink and drives others home safely.
If alcohol can not be avoided then cut the measure with water. Also advise your daughter to drink two full glasses of water for each single one of alcohol and wait for the amount of time it takes to wear off the alcohol affects. Another stradegy is to not actually drink it. Pick up the glass, tip it with lips pursed, then put it down.
I also stress to the teenagers to call to come and get them at any time they feel unsafe. That I will come no questions asked and bring them home. And I mean it.

I am sorry you have this concern. A saying I heard growing up is alcohol is for selling, not for drinking.
Also, you know your daughter...her judgment. Trust her. You are going through cross cultural issues...something that has been going on in my country and between the nations my family tree branches from. These conditions we are facing as adults with differances between eras and as we meet as indiviguals and create the future our children will share this is important inter generational work.
Thanks for asking. Hope this sparks a result that turns out in a good way for your family.