A quick note

witzend

husband and the dogs and I are all in our 600 sf extended stay motel room in Charlotte. We closed on our house - at our price - on Wednesday and I flew out Thursday. I am absolutely beat to a pulp, or at least I feel as though I have been beat to a pulp. Our new house should close on the 3rd, about the same time as our stuff will arrive from Portland. Of course, we didn't bring much furniture with us, and we'll need some appliances.

Doggies are going to doggie day care during the day. Yesterday was on a plane all day for them, and that freaked them out a bit. Today they played for 9 hours straight and for some reason they are totally passed out... :) I actually have been able to snuggle Oscar while he's asleep, something I haven't been able to do since he was a puppy because I taught him to not get on the furniture too well... Poor guy.

Our new house is a new house in a subdivision at the back end of a cul-de-sac is the only property back at that end of the road so far. They're putting them up pretty fast and furious. Apparently one of the neighborhood kids put a rock through the Master Bath window (empty house, good target) a week or so back, and it had to be replaced. Now, husband and I are total Pacific NW hippies, but today husband told me that he'd like to get a long gun, and I said I wouldn't mind having a little handgun that I could handle for protection when I'm there all day by myself. We're fitting in more quickly than I had imagined. Gotta get our residency settled, then to a shooting range to learn safety, but I think we're on the same page with this.

DammitJanet

Gonna take up deer hunting too? LOL Im sure Tony would love to have a new hunting buddy! There is a really nice lake up near you too. Once you are all settled in and all, if you guys like to fish...or if husband likes to fish, give us a call and we could get together again. I know Tony would love to show your hubby around the lake if he likes to fish. And if he wants to try hunting this fall, that would be fine too.

witzend

Oh, I don't know about hunting, Janet! husband is truly a city boy at heart. A city boy that isn't going to stand for anyone throwing rocks through his windows...

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I'm glad you're fitting in, witz.

Honestly? You sound happier, and relaxed despite all the work this has been... Hearing that in your posts just makes me :bigsmile:

Tiapet

Old Hand
Sounds like you got your bearings all in order and are doing well. Furkids sound like they are having fun too. I'm glad you found a place that you're happy with and I hope that it was just a small incident with kids and the rocks and not something that is continuous for the area.

I hope all things continue going smoothly for you and your husband.

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Hey, Witz! My difficult children did the same thing to our neighbor's house, we had just moved into our home. They and five other 12 y.o. kids broke ALL the windows in her house. I'm hoping this will be a one time event for you. I enjoyed watching the blood drain from our twins' faces as the policeman chewed them out. Five families paid for repairing the mess. Two of the other perpetrators were also twin boys. They never did it again.

susiestar

Roll With It
Sounds like things are going super well! I am happy for you!!!

WHen you go to buy a gun, be sure to try out several. If possible, go to a gun store with a range and actually shoot the models you are considering. Some pistols are easier to handle if you have limited hand strength or other problems, and that is what you want to know. Be sure to do a whole gun safety course, and not just an afternoon lesson or two. Plus put regular time into learning to shoot at the range until you are very proficient. Most people get into trouble because they have them but don't practice enough to be able to use them accurately under pressure. (My dad is a gun nut and we all did NRA safety courses as kids and went to the range quite often.)

It is great to hear you sounding so happy!

Hopeless

....Hopeful Now
Sounds like you are getting settled in the new area. You do sound happy in your post :)

I am trying to convince my husband that would should move south after our youngest daughter graduates next year and goes off to college.

N

Nomad

I'm so happy that you are settling down. So much change, it has got to be tiring. You sound organized and content.

Generally speaking, I personally wouldn't be in favor of getting a gun. However, I totally am ok with the differing opinions on this one...I totally understand it. Glad you are looking for a range and I'm sure going to get a firearms license.

YEars ago, we had a large male dog that spent most of his time in the backyard. He was very UNFRIENDLY toward strangers. And we had an alarm system. When husband wasn't home, I kept the alarm on and sometimes the dog inside the house and my cell phone on my person at all times. For me, this worked.

Again, VERY happy to hear that all is working out well. Keep up the good work and keep us posted!!! Awesome news.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Well DAMN if I don't like ya'lls style already. PITA neighbor kid breaks your window and you get a gun!? MY KINDA neighbor! Now all you need is a doormat like mine - Says - GO AWAY.

CONGRATULATIONS NEIGHBOR!!!!!!! I am AMAZED at the effeciency you have done this with - not the least bit surprised - but BRAVO WOMAN! BRAVO!!!!! And hugs to the kids.

Fran

Former desparate mom
You aren't going to shoot a kid for breaking a window are you?
I appreciate protecting oneself from danger. I keep my 3 dogs, a baseball bat and an alarm system since I'm home alone at night several nights a week. Not sure I'd shoot someone over property damage and surely not a little kid.
Glad you are closer to your closing so you can get settled. Doggie day care sounds like a great idea for the pups. If you are ever touring around and head my way, let me know. We can meet up and compare some NC stories.