A Senior post........good grief, give me a break!

DDD

I realize not many of you are near my age but OMG living with a "senior" spouse is a challenge. My husband had to go back to Mayo for an appointment this week. It was not an emergency and he drove himself there and back. He came home with a HUGE blackeye. He slipped in the hotel as he went into the side entrance and landed on his head, elbow and knee. My husband is almost 80.

The good news is that he actually did drive himself to the Mayo ER and get xrays etc. The bad news is that he looks like the loser in a cat fight AND........OMG........he decided this afternoon to have easy child/difficult child take a picture of his black & blue swollen face and sent it to our adult children and two of his college friends. WTH????????

I think I'm losing my sense of humor. SIGH. DDD

keista

So no broken bones? Oh heck yeah! That a big old BRAG. To fall like that at 80 and just have black eyes? AMAZING!

InsaneCdn

I think I'm losing my sense of humor. SIGH. DDD
:rofl:
First... I'm probably closer to your age, than to half the people on the board... and yes, getting "older" has it's "moments". Including a husband who is doing yardwork at the same pace as he did at 18... except that after "just" two days of this, is actually feeling muscles he didn't remember existed (used to take 2 weeks of flat-out to get that way).

Trust me... while your funny-bone is probably sleeping these days, it's actually kind of neat that HE sees the funny side. He's definitely "with it" for a really senior fellow!

But... if it were MY husband? I'd be worried sick that he had a concussion and didn't get it checked, maybe has a bone chipped somewhere, or some ligament damage, or... I can awfulize really fast when it's MY family!

Hang in there... there will be "real" stuff to smile about.

p.s. They *do* tell us that one of the signs of getting older is a dulling of the senses... wonder if that applies to the sense of humour too???

Last edited:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Ummm. I think I dealt with mother in law with too much of this sort of thing, because I totally get it.......from both sides. mother in law would actually be proud a fall would leave her with nothing more than bruises, while I'd be upset because she'd fallen and I of course could imagine all sorts of worse injuries. But I did get why she thought it was something to brag about though.

I'm glad he was no more hurt than that, though. I guess he earned some bragging rights. OUCH!

Hugs

DammitJanet

I also get it because I can trip hard and break something. Heck if I look at something wrong, I end up with bruises. I have a huge bruise on my arm that I have no idea that I have no idea where I got it.

Hope husband is okay and all those that got the pics take them in the manner that he sent them.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Whew, I'm glad it is ONLY bruises. However... My parents are seniors. Mom's OK, but Dad's a little wobbly on his pins from time to time - and I worry. A LOT. Fortunately with some guilt-trip help from the grands and his sister in law, now he sends Jett or husband up into the attic. HE holds the ladder. A few weeks ago, we were talking on the phone, he went to sit on his stool and - crash! - missed it - scared the SNOT out of Mom, who came into the room in time to see it. He bruised his pride, but... We worry.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Since I am headed up your way age wise, can only say getting old is not for the feint hearted. But I think it is wonderful he still can drive himself around :)

Marcie

DDD

He's been "enjoying" the reaction and/or lack of reaction to his black eye for the past two days. This morning????? He opted to miss his weekly Rotary meeting because "of my eye". Life is getting too challenging for me lately! DDD

Star*

call 911........call 911
Well here's an option - for your "senior" moment -----

Tell him if he keeps it up?

He's going to have a perfect match.

Badump bump..........

and I'm right there with you as DF is in the hospital with his second knee replacement that didn't exactly go well.