A sweet sweet moment, wanted to share

susiestar

Roll With It
Ok, you know the last 2 days have been pretty good with having Wizard here, behaving wonderfully, just being part of the family.

And you know I have had some family upset lately. This makes this even better, in my humble opinion.

Years and years ago, we gave my grandma (we called her "Kitty cat Grandma" because my great Gma also had the same last name and my bro and I got confused between them) a tart cherry tree for Mother's Day.

It took a while, but then it started with tons of cherries. I can remember taking a few on my way to play in the softball fields behind her house, or most anytime. And having bags of cherries in the freezer for pie. We gave her a tart cherry tree because her favorite pie has tart cherries in a sweet vanilla filling.
Right after we moved in to this house (which we OWN!!), I told my kids about this. I really wasn't thinking about my own Mother's Day.

A month before Mother's Day my husband took the kids and went to pick out a cherry tree - he was sure they would be out if he waited. It was from a family owned nursery and they agreed to hold on to the tree and care for it until Mother's Day.
husband went to pick it up on Mother's Day, and one young man offered to drive it to our house in his truck, rather than lay it across my kids' laps. This was 3 years ago.

Last year we got 1 tiny cherry.

This year, it broke out in about a dozen blooms just around Mother's Day. :)
Today, my Dad brought my oldest over to cut the grass, and after they were done, looked up and asked if it was a cherry tree. I said yes, it was a Mom's Day gift 3 years ago.

He looked at me and I could tell he remembered us giving HIS mom one. I haven't shared a look like that with my dad in a long long time.

and then we pulled the ripe ones off the tree and shared them, just enough for 1 each - tart and just perfect for bringing back memories.

Dad and I haven't had the greatest moments lately, and this was just so wonderful.

Thanks for sharing with me.

Susie

TerryJ2

Ohhhhhhhhh, that is such a heartwarming story. Treasure it always.
And you will get more cherries each yr. It typically takes 3-5 yrs to get them growing well. A good, deep freeze in the winter helps. Our don't do too well; we're too far south and the trees never really freeze, and get too soggy.
Thanks for sharing. :)

Star*

call 911........call 911
Susiestar,

I know that will be a memory you cherry-ish. (neener GVC mom)

We have planted a tree EVERY year for difficult child's birthday. I figured in years to come if he ever back tracks his life he'll see the trees that were planted for him and to give back to the earth.

Last year's birthday tree? A CHOKE cherry tree. lol. - It would have been a PRICKly pear - but they don't do well here. No seriously it was an oak.

Lovely - did you explain to your Dad that you LOVED that cherry tree?

hugs
Star

susiestar

Roll With It
Oh, yeah Star, I did. thank you even told him I cried when they brought it to me. And he said it was the hardest thing, not telling me about it.

If I don't share the sweet stuff with y'all, who should I share it with?? You are my FAMILY!!!

Susie