A tired mom

Frenchy

Hello,

My youngest daughter (15) was recently diagnosed with conduct disorder. I have been searching the Internet for either a "miracle cure" (yeah right!!) or at least any resources that might help. I stumbled upon this forum quite by chance and am very excited to be able to communicate with other parents who are facing the same situation. It boosts up my morale tremendously to know that I am not alone out there and that I am not necessarily a"bad parent" who created this situation. That said, I would be more than happy to share all the details of my daughter's story and hear the advice you all can give me. I don't know if I'm doing this in the proper way as I am not exactly technologically savvy. So I hope to hear back from all of you

BusynMember

WHo diagnosed her with conduct disorder? Usually there is another diagnosis first, and Conduct Disorder is a last diagnosis after mental illness has been untreated for a long time. I personally wouldn't trust a professional who gave such a young teen that diagnosis. I'd look elsewhere for help.
Tell us a little about your daughter. Is she using drugs? Are there any psychiatric problems on either side of the family tree? Is she on medications? Is this a new or old problem? Has she seen a Psychiatrist (with the MD) or ever had a neuropsychologist test? Was this just a therapist who diagnosed her? Welcome to the board. You will find lots of good advice here from different people. You will also find that often times the first professional we see doesn't get it right. It takes time to get an accurate diagnosis and the right treatment, so don't despair :)

4sumrzn

Hello & welcome!!!! No, you are NOT alone. This is a wonderful place you have found. Once you give a bit more information, you will receive many helpful suggestions. Again, welcome!!!

'Chelle

Adding my hi. :flower: I'm pretty sure you're not a "bad parent" or you wouldn't be searching the internet and probably everywhere else looking for help for your daughter. I'll look forward to hearing your difficult child's background and whatever you want to share. Other than midwestmom's questions, how has she been through school, how does she act with peers/friends, background of therapy etc that has led to a cd diagnosis? Don't forget to visit the FAQ/Board Help Forum. It'll tell you how to do a signature like you see at the bottom of other's posts. Helps us keep everyone straight as to difficult child's etc. You can find on there an explanation of some of the little abbreviations we use so you don't get lost with them. There's also some books/reading that parents here have recommended that have helped others - The Explosive Child is one that helped us.

Welcome to a wonderful site. :bigsmile: Hope you can find the advice you need, or even just an ear to vent to when things build up too much. I don't think there's a parent here who won't understand, because we've all been there done that and are still struggling along.

trinityroyal

Hello Frenchy and Welcome!
You've found a wonderful place here, where you can get great advice and lots of support. Post often. We're here when you need us.

Trinity

everywoman

Welcome---Sorry you had to find us, but glad you found us if you need us. The others asked some good questions. Try to answer them so we can know more of what you're dealing with. And don't be afraid---around here very little is shocking.

slsh

member since 1999
Hi Frenchy and welcome! You posted just fine. ;) If you could fill out a signature (under "User CP" upper left part of screen), it will help us remember general details about you.

Nope, you're definitely not alone (unfortunately). I remember well the intense relief I felt when I found the board - people who understood and could actually relate to the behaviors we were dealing with, and who didn't jump to the conclusion that I was just a rotten Mom. ;) It's a very supportive bunch of people here.

There are all kinds of challenging kiddos represented on the board, and all kinds of ideas and suggestions. Take what you can use, ditch the rest, and join in.

Again, welcome!

KateM

Adding my welcome, Frenchy! Looking forward to hearing your story. You will find alot of support and info here. Glad you found us!