A Tuna Fish Sandwich..

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
My "lets eat something different" meal was today. Looked in the cupboard and found cans of Tuna Fish so went on line to find a receipe (other than Tuna Fish and Mayo). Found one that looked interesting and healthy...

So I proceed to the check out with my green onions, jalapeno peppers, bean sprouts, a bag of fresh muchrooms, tomatoes, a head of romaine lettuce, cucumbers, a wedge of parmesan cheese and a loaf of stone ground whole wheat bread, the cashier said that will be 15.92. :shopping:
I thought my eyeballs were going to fall out of my head. Almost 16.00 to make a Tuna Fish Sandwich.. and I really didn't buy any extra over what the receipe called for, well, cept for the mushrooms and I now have a cup of finely chopped shrooms I have no idea what to do with. Good thing I had the mayo and tuna already or else I would have been around 20.00..

It turned out pretty good - in fact, it didn't even taste tuna fishy (or smell tuna fishy either) but I don't think the Magic Tuna Fish Salad Sandwitch is going to be a regular on our menu any time soon.

SO was a little miffed - he said you just went to Costco, and spent a couple of hundred dollars on Friday, why didn't you think of the ingrediants when you went shopping. Mmmmm, maybe cause I didn't NEED 5 heads of Romaine lettuce , 5 pounds of bean sprouts and 4 dozen tomatoes, and a gross of jalapino peppers. I only needed one of each. Its bad enough I bought the tuna fish there (16 cans of it) cause thats the only way it came..

So now I only have 12 cans of tuna fish left - anyone have any ideas on what to make.

Marcie (playing her own version of the Iron Chef)

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Okay, must admit I make a plain old tuna sandwich with mayo and a little sweet pickle relish......I'm just not the gourmet you are, but then I like the fishy taste of tuna..........And now you know........

klmno

I think you could have had steak on the grill for that price!!

The rest of the tuna- the only thing I can think of is tuna casserole.

Coookie

Marcie,

How about a VERY LARGE TUNA CASSEROLE???????? :)

All I do is add noodles, cream of musroom soup and tuna..... Oh and I layer cheeze throughout also. :) Not very expensive, very easy, and difficult child loves it. :D

Got to give you credit for you adventurous spirit though. :smug:

Hugs

Oh, I'm doing the exact. same. thing.

Trying to find something filling but healthy. So I bought ingredients for a vegetarian wrap.

lettuce
alfalfa sprouts
avocado
hummus
sun dried tomatoes
artichoke hearts
cucumber
roasted red pepper
Then of course the wrap itself.

Close to 20.00 for the ingredients. Now, it was delicious, no question. But NOW I remember why I don't eat healthy long term. Do you know how many boxes of mac & cheese I can get for $20.00?

mstang67chic

Going Green
Marcie,

How about a VERY LARGE TUNA CASSEROLE???????? :)

All I do is add noodles, cream of musroom soup and tuna..... Oh and I layer cheeze throughout also. :) Not very expensive, very easy, and difficult child loves it. :D

Got to give you credit for you adventurous spirit though. :smug:

Hugs

Peas!!! Can't forget the peas! (Or as I used to call them as a little kid....little green balls. Just be sure to drain them first, but not completely. I usually leave about 1/4 of the juice to help keep the casserole moist) That's about the fanciest I get with tuna. If I really wanted to spice things up, I suppose I could use the peas that have the baby onions in them. Oooh......if you're really feeling adventurous...you can add a couple of chopped up boiled eggs, too.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Am chuckling over the idea of me being a gourmet cook - my usual ingrediants are pepper, sea salt and garlic - doesn't matter what I am cooking, thats what goes in it.
If I really had to describe my cooking abilities, it would fall under "lazy gourmet". By the time I get home from work, its whatever is fast and easy, which means the same ole, same ole, or we eat out (Thats been cut WAY back and am trying to keep that down to once every two weeks)

But every weekend I pull out a cookbook and make something new or a variation of something we eat all the time, and one rule is everything that goes in it has to be fresh. easy child or SO usually picks (difficult child isn't interested if it goes beyond a hamburger, Top Ramen, Mac and Cheese or frozen pizza) Its the only time cooking becomes a family affair with everyone doing something, even if its a grocery run for easy child. SOs domain is the food processor- anything that needs to be chopped or minced, he is the man :)

I will look for the Tuna Casserole receipe for next weekend, and try a Tuna sandwich with some sweet relish in it (never even thought of that).

I usually buy standard veggies in bulk, like potatoe's and carrots, then do a run to the local store for the little extra's like parsley, celery and tomatoes but the price of those few things for this stupid Magic Tuna Sandwich just threw me for a loop. Though, I have to say, the time SO decided he wanted to make his own fresh from scratch California Rolls, my tuna sandwich bill was chump change.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Well, thanks to this thread I just made myself some tuna salad....sweet pickle relish and mayo....and had a snack!

:spaghetti:

Suz

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
BBK - Your wrap is as outragous as my tuna fish sandwich LOL I look at premade stuff in the grocery store, and go hmm, I am NOT going to pay that much money for that - I can make it myself without all of the preservatives for mmm, aaaaaahh, double the price...:rofl:

I hate to waste food - when I buy fresh herbs, If i have more than I need, I have learned now to chop them all up, put them in an ice cube tray with some water and get them to ice cube state then put them in a bag for when I need them next time.

As to the boxes of Mac and Cheese for 20.00, if you bought them at Costo you could have 60 boxes - how sad is that..

Marcie

Lothlorien

Hummus...don't buy at the store. It's so easy to make. Garbanzo beans....or another bean. 1 clove or garlic and some sesame oil. Blend it up in the blender or a food processor.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Oh, my. I LOVE tuna, but only as a tuna salad or sandwhich. I have horrid memmories of my mom making anything she could out of tuna.:tongue:

I also don't like it raw. Yuck.

No help here!!

Abbey

trinityroyal

Wow! I'm glad that the sandwich was delicious at that price.

When I make tuna salad, I use tuna and mayo, but then I chop lettuce, cucumber and green pepper and mix them in too. I always have those in the fridge, and there's a little vegetable market just down the street from my house with very good prices.

I think if you buy all the ingredients just for the sandwich, then it will add up. Can you make other exotic sandwiches from the rest of the romaine, pepper and stone ground wheat bread at least.

(A sandwich from the deli near my office costs about $6, so with a whole loaf of bread you're still better off than buying a prepared sandwich)

Goodness...I'm rambling. I think it's time to sign off and get some rest.
Night all
Trinity

SRL

It turned out pretty good - in fact, it didn't even taste tuna fishy (or smell tuna fishy either) but I don't think the Magic Tuna Fish Salad Sandwitch is going to be a regular on our menu any time soon.)

It sounds like that sandwich should have been named Tuna Royale.

dreamer

Hmm, we have been known, me & oldest to make all kinds of variations on tuna salad. We have added all kinds of things to the basic.....celery, onion, raddish, celery, carrots, peppers, cucs, cabbage, lettuce, broccolli, have used some sour cream or cream cheese or yogurt instead of all mayo, have used sweet relish and sometimes dill relish instead. have put chopped hard boiled egg in....we love cold tuna macaroni salad, elbow pasta, mayo, celery a few onions and peas.....again, thats the base...can add almost anything to it.
we also like tuna salad with avacado.....or pineapple.....or tomato.....or with spinach...(fresh raw) we throw tuna salad on top of a tossed salad......or a greek salad or cesar salad. where I worked they used to make creamed tuna on biscuits or toast. One time I even threw some tuna into canned cream of potato soup. weird but not bad. We have also used tuna salad as a dip-- for chips or celery? LOL. One time we had leftover spinach dip and we mixed tuna into that, was good. LOL.
we love tuna melts, we like tuna with grapes.....and with chunks of cheddar or havarti.....or with club crackers......

around 30+ years ago I took a break from working waiting tables and doing hair and selling real estate to try my hand in a factory- thought the more stable work hours etc might be a good thing. (I hated it, LOL) My coworkers were women older than me, and always dieting. they got into this rut where they had tuna every single day- just tuna plain in a can.....no mayo, there was not low fat mayo then etc.......once in awhile one or another might bring mustard to put on it...or lemon.....and thats about what they ate like every single day. Sure looked boreing and kinda yukky to me.

Hmm how about a tuna salad and pineapple sandwhich on a bagel with melted muenster- YUM! My oldests current fav!

OK in summer I often have dinner of a tossed salad, a scoop of tuna salad and some fresh fruit cut up and a dab of cottage cheese. YUMMY! I swirl the tuna into the tossed salad and swirl the bananas oranges, grapes watermelon into cottage cheese, YUM. oh and don't forget the fresh tomatos!

SRL,

if she named that sandwich the Tuna Royale...

and then she put cheese on it...

well then...

you would have a Royale with Cheese.

(only laugh if you are a Pulp Fiction geek)

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Thank you guys for all of the ideas. I will definately do the tuna cassarole and next time I feel an urge for the sandwich, will toss some of of the other ingrediants into it.

First time I do a receipe, I follow it exactly - then the next time get inventive. Lunch today will be a tuna sandwich with a salad with the rest of the stuff.

And now a good thing is I learned what Hummus is. They always are giving out free samples at Costco, but no one could ever tell me what was in it (so much for knowing what your selling) and somehow the name sounds so yucky I always gave it a pass thinking it must be from the insides of something. Who was to think it was only beans..

Marcie